New Revolver choice

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Badabing11, Jul 7, 2020.

1. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I've drug mine across the nightstand drawer a couple times. She's no beauty queen though. 20200707_201851.jpg
    There was a couple folks on here that snagged the new ones and were very happy with em. Maybe they don't have the soul like the older ones but sounded like nice guns.

I'm certainly not advocating that you subject yourself to crappy CS but FWIW I've never had to use S&W's CS YMMV. I certainly wouldn't rule out older S&W guns unless your bride has her heart set on a Python (a good thing). I'm just barely getting into the old S&W wheel guns and I think that they have a lot to offer.

41 Charlie, KS95B40, Dub and 4 others like this.
  2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    The Kimber K6 is a very good revolver. Very nice, not great trigger. It is lightweight and is unpleasant to shoot with full house loads. Ruger SP101 and GP100 have rough triggers out of the box. That is easily taken care of with a couple hours, a spring kit, a dremel with polishing bobs and some flitz. Make that and hour or less on the third one. CS is really, really good. I won't buy a S&W with a Hilary Hole so I can't speak to current production.

3. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    My brother just got his new 6" python and it is fine. I think they fixed a lot problems with a heavier spring and toquing down the screws that where backing out. His had what I thought was a pretty heavy single stage. I think he measured it around 5.5lbs, I will have to double check, but that was the first thing I noticed.

Other than that, he shot 150 rounds in one trip and no problems at all and the crown and rest of the gun is mint. It is a later or newer production run, so I do believe they fixed the problems. He just snagged a 4" the other day too, so we will see how that one is.

41 Charlie and Badabing11 like this.
  4. hallsway

hallsway Member

May 27, 2020
    I’m a S&W guy. I bought the model 19 for my folks in the early 80’s and it has since come back to me. The 686 will go to the grave with me. The one handgun that will never be sold.
    I’ve had a Python as well as a Trooper and for me, they don’t match the 686. Can’t go wrong with an older Smith.

Attached Files:

5. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    One of my favorite L frame S&W is my 686-4 Power Port. It's a neat revolver.

KS95B40, FWoo45 and Badabing11 like this.
  6. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Yes, I believe the fix involved taking the 3.5 lb single action tune up to over 5 lbs. When I got my old Python in 82, it had less than 2 lb single action. Like a fool, I sent it to Colt to have it "gone over." It was my first handgun and buying it used, I wanted to make sure all was good to go. I had shot it before I sent it in and it was fantastic, but I was young and stupid. Anyway, when I got it back from Colt, their inspection revealed the trigger did not meet factory spec in SA. The adjusted it back to 3 lbs... It is still a fantastic trigger, but that sub 2 lb SA was the best trigger I've ever had.

I don't think I can pay that kind of money for a gun with what I call a heavy trigger. It would be the heaviest single action trigger I own, and that includes shotguns.

Now that said, if I wasn't ever gonna shoot SA, I've heard that the DA of the new Python is like butter. My wife rarely shoots SA, so it might be a winner in that respect.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  7. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Yes, it is smooth around 12lbs.

Now we just need a gunsmith to work on new colt python triggers.

Old Sea Dragon and Badabing11 like this.
  8. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    If I had a wife (I don't) and she liked my Python, I would say "Open fire, honey."

People form preferences on small and strange things and there is no guarantee she would enjoy some other make or model as well.

Badabing11 likes this.
  9. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    Over the years I've owned a bunch of Pythons and can't recall any two having the same double action pull. Single action pull varied a lot as well as did accuracy to some extent.

10. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    686-
    I tried to find one on gunbroker. The closest I could find was a 686 dash 4, non ported. Beautiful gun.

I’d like one of those for myself . Lol

KS95B40 likes this.
  11. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I did some research online last night to try to find out the year of manufacture for my python. Colt has updated their search feature and this time it showed up as a 1980 gun.

While doing this, I ran across the factory specs for trigger pull. It was 2.5 to 4.5 lbs for single action pull. I guess I should be happy at 3 lbs . I should have saved the page with the specs! .

Anyway, understanding that makes me reconsider a new python. It just makes it a try before you buy .

As a side note , the suggestion of the 8 round Ruger redhawk got my attention . I was almost there until I saw the weight at 49 oz unloaded. That might be a bit much for her . However, I found the 7 round gp 100 to be interesting . 40 oz weight, and a very robust gun that looks very easy to work on . I’ve always been afraid to open up a revolver and work on the trigger . I saw several YouTube’s and it’s not that hard with the Ruger. I’ve noticed a lot of variation in the trigger on these in the past. Some are great out of the box requiring little if any work other than a break in period . This looks like it might be a possibility too.

duketbrd88 and fatbaldguy like this.
  12. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Ruger''s are very easy to work on. I turned a GP100 into something special.

Badabing11 and gps man like this.
  13. Tel

Tel Active Member

Jul 25, 2013
    you are missing out on some very fine weapons. S&W make some of the finest in the world.

Badabing11 and hallsway like this.
  14. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I agree they make some very nice revolvers and I’ll even go along with some of the finest in the world.

However, SW holds the title for the worst customer service in my entire life. I can’t speak for @soverystout , but their gunsmithing repair shop is a bunch of hacks and they burned the bridge so bad that even if I wanted one badly, I’d have a hard time giving them my business.

In my case, the 686 fits the need perfectly... I’m not saying never cause that’s a long time. But I can’t see myself going back to them after they ruined my model 41.

It was a great shooting gun that destroyed itself using nothing but 1070 FPS 22 ammo. It went back multiple times and was not fixed to go more than another 500 rounds. They totally destroyed the mint finish on it. I had taken time stamped photos of the gun before I shipped it to show how it looked before I sent it. They said the way it was returned was normal for a gun that age. I tried to persuade them with facts and logic, but they refused to make things right . It’s too bad as I reallly like their revolvers. But from my POV, I’d rather spend my dime with someone that treats me right .

15. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    If you are seeking a Colt how about a sort of unicorn MK V Police Positive. (38spl)
    Not mine just borrowed pic via web.

Handled one NIB LGS back on LI 93-94 being newly married and a mortgage the 400.00 price tag was not feasible. I’ve passed & flipped many etc, but that Colt has always stuck with me same as a S&W CS 686.
    1175F24D-C178-41DE-BF78-FEC11B24C4B8.jpeg

1911 crazed and Badabing11 like this.
  16. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh hell yeah!!

17. Tel

Tel Active Member

Jul 25, 2013

sorry to hear that Jeff. I have the 686 pro series that runs as good or better than any of my Colts. I have never dealt with their shop, I have a guy in Al that I send my guns to work.

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Try a new colt python if you can find one. I think the kinks are worked out and it's a shooter.

Gafanhao, Badabing11 and Tel like this.
  19. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I know they shoot great. I have shot them and have always been impressed . I’m getting weaker by the day. Maybe I could find a compromise within myself to buy a used one. That way my money isn’t going to the guys that screwed me . Unless of course the seller replaces it with a new one .. Maybe I could find a seller that would sign a contract , lol

Tel likes this.
  20. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Thanks Duke. I’m looking at them in gunbroker. Everyone is asking $2-$500 over retail. With the reports of heavy SA triggers on some, I’d want to handle before I buy. If that part gets figured out by Colt, I’ll likely get one of these for me and something that will better handle the dragging across the nightstand drawer :)

I don’t know why I’m wrestling with this so much. It’s not like it’s gonna be a target gun . My best bet is to get her out to handle them and find what feels best to my wife . A lot of ladies I know love the little Ruger Lcr. I wouldn’t be surprised if she likes that the best . I wouldn’t load that with 357, and the 5 round capacity is less than I’d like. But I gotta come to grips ( pun intended) with the fact that it’s not about me :( .

switchback, FWoo45 and duketbrd88 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted