Springfield Armory New RO Elite is here!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Doc45, Mar 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Just picked up the 9mm RO Elite Operator. The first thing I noticed when I field stripped to lube the rails, barrel end/bushing/hood and run a patch down the barrel is that the slide is numbered to frame, need to check the Compact if it's the same.

I must say I'm impressed with the out of the box trigger-prior to live fire that is. Nicer than the one on the TRP I had and sold, even nice than the one on my Compact version (also 9mm). Heading to the range shortly and will have a report. The first thing I did was put in a green fiber tube (prefer it over the orange). About to put the Talon grip tape on the front strap. Here's a couple quickie pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Congrats and Happy Shooting!

Doc45 likes this.

3. Primal19

Primal19 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Congratulations. Looks great!

Doc45 likes this.
  4. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    Congrats, I have it's twin :)

Doc45 likes this.
  5. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Ok, just got back from the range. Let me say the grips aren't as blue in color as they came out in the photos (the first post shows them properly).

To start I used the USPSA/IPSC target firing American Eagle 124gr fmj (150 rounds) and Federal 124 HST (100 rounds). I started at 10 yards with the first two mags (SA 9 rounders, fmj) shot as fast as I could get a sight picture after the first round. Threw a few high, then low.
    [​IMG]

Then I went to the Wilson mags with the HST ammo
    [​IMG]

Next I moved the target to the 15 yard line with it turning to face me for 3 seconds for 2 rounds each time. HST ammo again
    [​IMG]

Then I went back to 10 yards again with the HST, target turning to face me for 2.5 seconds/2 rounds each time.
    [​IMG]

The last drill was a preprogrammed one (love my range/club lol) starting at 3 feet, moving out to 75 feet with stops inbetween. The target spins, then faces for 2 seconds for 2 rounds, then moves to the next distance. This was done with the fmj ammo. I ran it twice, made the lower "C" zone hits the first time at 75 feet, the upper ones on the second run. 38 rounds total on the 2nd go round.
    [​IMG]

The pistol functioned 100% with all mags/ammo. Finished the rest of the ammo shooting paper plates for giggles lol. Very happy with it and don't forsee making any other changes to it than I've done with the green fiber tube and the grip tape.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    limbkiller, KS95B40, Wake27 and 6 others like this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Looking good!

Doc45 likes this.
  7. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Congrats on your new shooter! Looks like it's going to serve you well.:thumbs:

Doc45 likes this.
  8. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Love those, really great package for the price. Mine shoots like a laser gun.

Doc45 likes this.
  9. oldshaky

oldshaky Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Congrats! Looks good and shoots good. Enjoy!

Doc45 likes this.
  10. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Thanks all, just might have to hit the range again tomorrow :D

Old Sea Dragon and 1911 dawg like this.
  11. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    They are good guns.I like mine a lot the more you shoot it Doc the better you will like it .I say go again tomorrow ,

Doc45 likes this.
  12. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with mine for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc45 likes this.
  13. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Wake, you’re absolutely correct. I got this one shipped for under $900. With the features it has fresh from the factory I couldn’t be more pleased.

14. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    These new Springers in 9mm have ramped barrels?

15. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Yes the barrels are ramped.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  16. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    One thing I forgot to mention is how light the recoil spring feels even compared to the 9mm Compact. I’ll contact Springfield tomorrow to find out what weight spring it is.

My .45 Bears all have the 18.5lb variable and my other custom built runs a 16.

The Operator will see a mix of 115 & 124 fmj as well as some +P 124 and 147.

17. Grandmasterb

Grandmasterb Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Looks nice. Congrats’

Doc45 likes this.
  18. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    Nice!
    I want one of those in 10MM...

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  19. DanMcinPA

DanMcinPA Active Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I have a SA RO Elite also and I’m getting frustrated with intermittent FTE (my review here: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/sa-ro-elite-champion-range-report.62137/ )
    I’ve swapped out the guide rod and spring for an EGW. That seemed to take care of the problem until last Thursday when I started a class and had to switch to the Sig 320 X-Five 9mm for the balance of the day. Just too many FTE.
    I adjusted extractor tension, cleaned, and released, and lubed. It does not feel like it is sliding on ball bearings the way my SA RO 5” now feels (a few thousand rounds broke it in nicely). The SA 5” also feeds and fires the same ammo with no problems (standard reloads — 200 grain RN with 4.4gr Bullseye)
    So it’s time for a visit to a gunsmith. :-(

20. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sorry to hear about that but it mimics a stainless TRP I had a couple years ago. It just never ran properly. A gunsmith I know ended up buying it from me and put a lot of work into it.

I was just going to return it to SA but when he asked I said yes. May not sound reasonable but I just didn’t like that gun.

Thankfully every other SA I’ve owned since has been flawless.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted