1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. My name is Dave. I have owned several 1911's over the past 25 yrs carrying a few as duty guns. Sold all but one and have kicked myself, I had a couple nice ones. So I got the hunger again and started looking around. I picked up a Rock Island CS Tac II new. I have been in the process of running the first 500 rounds through it. Accuracy is very good. However, the biggest problem I am having is the gun fails to extract the empty, setting up lots of double feed practice. Once in a while it fails to feed a round into the chamber. To me the recoil spring feels very light, like maybe at 10 or 12 lb. I am thinking the extractor needs tuned and a heavier recoil spring. What do you all think? I am not above sending it back and telling them to return it when its more reliable. I believe I need to get through the break in first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dhoff45,

Is your CS Tactical a 45 or a 9mm? If 45, that's nowhere near enough spring. If 9mm, that might not be too far off the mark.

·
Livin Large
1,912 Posts
Purchase a Metalform mag with round follower. lube it(the pistol) like you love it to include a drop of rem oil on the top of the top round in the mag. Shoot factory ball ammo, at first.
If the recoil spring was too light an indicator would be that the round would not seat all the way into the chamber . Have you removed the extractor and cleaned the housing? Also an undersized
FP stop will let the extractor clock creating extract issues.
AND OR document your issues and send it back. I have heard, (after 9 RIs never used their returns) that their CS is ..OK! NMBUZZ

AND OBTW... Welcome!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I had a FS RIA that produce 30 malfunctions in the first 70 rounds. I complained via email. They sent me a pre-paid label and after 3 weeks sent me a new gun that had been cleaned and tuned. Customer Service the way it should be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another big + on making sure it has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed. They come soaked with shipping protectant from the factory. Use their recommendations (i.e. mineral spirits) and be sure to at least disassemble the slide if not the whole gun when you clean it.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I'm currently working with a pistol from antoher manufacturer that has been sent back to the manufacture. Give them chance. Could I fix the issues I'm having? Sure. By why not give them a chance and start with a clean slate of a good working pistol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Purchase a Metalform mag with round follower. lube it(the pistol) like you love it to include a drop of rem oil on the top of the top round in the mag. Shoot factory ball ammo, at first.
If the recoil spring was too light an indicator would be that the round would not seat all the way into the chamber . Have you removed the extractor and cleaned the housing? Also an undersized
FP stop will let the extractor clock creating extract issues.
AND OR document your issues and send it back. I have heard, (after 9 RIs never used their returns) that their CS is ..OK! NMBUZZ

AND OBTW... Welcome!
Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you clean it? A lot of firearms are very dirty from the factory with grit,grease, grime and probably even cooties. Take it completely apart,and clean all the parts,lube and reassemble. That might help...if not,well,your pistol will be clean.
I did. It was sloppy oily when I got it. I cleaned it up and re lubed everything. I give it a good cleaning after every range session.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a FS RIA that produce 30 malfunctions in the first 70 rounds. I complained via email. They sent me a pre-paid label and after 3 weeks sent me a new gun that had been cleaned and tuned. Customer Service the way it should be.
That is awesome customer service. I will contact them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm currently working with a pistol from antoher manufacturer that has been sent back to the manufacture. Give them chance. Could I fix the issues I'm having? Sure. By why not give them a chance and start with a clean slate of a good working pistol.
Im not super well versed on total pistol disassembly on a 1911. The slide is easy. I will send it back and let them fix it. I am glad to hear so many positive remarks about their customer service.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
exactly the way it should be!

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,162 Posts
500 rounds is break in enough IMHO, they'll take good care of it. Their CS is very good

1 - 20 of 26 Posts