1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
sounds like the extractor doesn't have enough tension. You can quickly use the extractor tension test provided by Wilson Combat on Youtube.com to see if that is the problem. Please see these videos. Only field stripping is involved:

checking extractor tension

adjusting tension

·
Registered
458 Posts
Most likely it is the extractor tension. Most 1911 guns I've bought did not have enough tension. Doesn't matter if they were Colt or Citadel and those in between. BUT, RI SHOULD MAKE IT RIGHT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I sent my pistol to Rock Island. They sent it back after a week and a half. There was a letter stating they had verified the customers concerns. That was awesome. They said they tuned it and they did put a much heavier recoil spring in it. It now shoots like a champ.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. My name is Dave. I have owned several 1911's over the past 25 yrs carrying a few as duty guns. Sold all but one and have kicked myself, I had a couple nice ones. So I got the hunger again and started looking around. I picked up a Rock Island CS Tac II new. I have been in the process of running the first 500 rounds through it. Accuracy is very good. However, the biggest problem I am having is the gun fails to extract the empty, setting up lots of double feed practice. Once in a while it fails to feed a round into the chamber. To me the recoil spring feels very light, like maybe at 10 or 12 lb. I am thinking the extractor needs tuned and a heavier recoil spring. What do you all think? I am not above sending it back and telling them to return it when its more reliable. I believe I need to get through the break in first.
I run 16-18 lbs recoil springs (Wilson) or wolf.. and a Wilson extractor. And a Wilson firing pin,, All those rock island need a little bit of tinkering. If your Capable to do those three things.. I think you’ll be in good shape.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts