close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Shooter training - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Marine24, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marine24

Marine24 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    My Sister-in-Law surprised me on a recent trip last week when she asked if I could teach her how to shoot a pistol. Her only experience is with a shotgun and is interested in self defense.

She lives in OK and I'm in CO, so logistics will get interesting but thought I would throw this out for comment.

Safety is the first place I would start, followed by firearm familiarization (type of handguns), weapon handling instruction/drills, shooting fundamentals and then live fire training starting with a 22LR. If she has a preference on the type of handgun, we'll focus there but still give her familiarization on the other types.

Given the separation, the online NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course might be a good place for her to start and I can reinforce with more hands on instruction.

Thoughts?

boatdoc likes this.
  2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Safety is paramount, and if she is using it for HD or carrying, go over tactics and law etc. after that i believe grip/stance and trigger pull are the most important parts of accurate shooting I would focus on that.

3. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    I don't mean this to come out as offensive in any way, I would pass on personally teaching her and find her someone good local to her. There's no replacement for spending time with a quality instructor. Plus there's a reason they say never teach your wife or girlfriend and I would include sister-in-law in that.

4. SLAM37

SLAM37 Active Member

Apr 17, 2016
    I would encourage you to have her find an NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course in her area. I have instructed this course in the past, but not since the NRA went to the "blended learning" platform which combines at home computer study with hands-on instruction and range time. Regardless, it should still be a very good starting point given a good instructor. This site shows the details on NRA programs:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx

I think your approach to use a .22 is very good. Can't tell you how many folks I have seen (male and female) that have been turned off from shooting because somebody puts a .38 snub or even a tiny .380 in their hands for the first time and the recoil keeps them from coming back...or they develop terrible habits right off the bat.

For the .22, I would just ensure that the gun runs well with your choice of ammunition. We all know .22 semi-autos can be picky. When I am instructing somebody who has no previous experience, it really helps if the gun runs right for the first few sessions ... malfunction clearance practice can come later once they get their head around what is happening.

I would also recommend to have her shop for an instructor if at all possible. She may feel more comfortable with a female, and of course, not all instructors are created equal. You may want to see if there is an NRA "Women on Target" program in her area. If not, there is one offered on Saturday May 20th in Penrose CO. I have instructed at these, and they are also a nice way for the ladies to get a very basic familiarization in a fun environment. PM me if you want more info on that event.

Bro. Pappaw and tac45 like this.
  5. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    No offense taken. Actually was doing a quick search in the Tulsa area for some reputable instructors and checking with folks I know in the area on possible recommendations.

Looking at some of the online courses, they are good primers but no substitute for the hands on training. Scary to see that in some states, just completing an online course and successfully passing the test was sufficient to apply for a concealed carry license.

Point taken on the SIL piece. Fortunately we don't see each other more than once a year, so the familiarization factor is not as high.

Sterling Archer likes this.
  6. SLAM37

SLAM37 Active Member

Apr 17, 2016
    True ... learned that the hard way 20 years ago with my bride ...

Sterling Archer likes this.
  7. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Good recommendation on the NRA Women on Target. Forgot about that. Had a female co-worker that went through the course and had a very positive experience.

8. SLAM37

SLAM37 Active Member

Apr 17, 2016
    PM sent with WOT info.

9. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2016
    very good recommendations above. Do not teach her yourself. A little money spent on a professional is really money well spent. Most people who shoot well do not necessarily teach as well as someone who has been trained to do so. The positive result that comes from professional instruction can get the student over that frustrating early period of not hitting what you are looking at.

10. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Teaching isn't a concern. Between training my Marines how to employ their service weapon in a combat environment and teaching people how to do night and wreck dives, I'm comfortable training people.

Geography is the challenge. No sense waiting on me when there are folks local to her that are as qualified if not more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    since she knows the basics,I would start with a safety review for handguns

then show her the basics( stance,grip, sight alignment...) and start with a .22 and then a 9mm
    I used (still use) "the Perfect Pistol Shot" book and blog( al league -amazon) for basic marksmanship training. This will give her time to seek out a quality instructor to fine tune her shooting skills

good luck

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Appreciate the resource. I'll have to check out the Perfect Pistol Shot. Seeking a quality instructor makes the most sense and avoids the familial challenges that others have mentioned. Besides she may not respond well to the Marine Corps method for weapons instruction.

boatdoc likes this.
  13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    When she gets a bit further along...

If the pistol she has will support a dime on top of the barrel. Ask her to place it on top, concentrate on the sight picture, and dry fire.

Harder than it sounds, but it does help learning to steadily pull a trigger while maintaining sight alignment.

The dime shouldn't drop when the hammer drops.

14. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Interesting technique. I've used the pencil drill before in my dry fire practice but I'll have to give this a shot too.

DRYHUMOR likes this.
  15. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    +1 for 'The Perfect Pistol Shot'. Great for beginners. I believe Mike Seeklander's outfit, Shooting Performance, http://www.shooting-performance.com/ is very near Tulsa. Mike is on my short list to train under, I've read great things about him and his operation. Best wishes to you and your Sister-In-Law, finding a good trainer can be tough!

boatdoc and Marine24 like this.
  16. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Appreciate the link. Pryor, OK is near where my Father-In-Law lives in Chelsea. I'll have to check it out next time I'm out in the area.

Dons1911 likes this.
  17. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks for your service

before I tried "the perfect pistol shot", I used the marine manual for the basics. The ONLY bad thing I read was the death grip they used. It just wore me out and caused back spasms ;)

18. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I've used the pencil as well.

19. sharps71

sharps71 New Member

Jan 21, 2013

A little late to the conversation, but I used to live in Tulsa. I highly recommend the US Shooting Academy. The classes I took were first rate and it's one of the best shooting complexes I've seen.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted