1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 year old Commander. I built out of a Fusion frame and slide shortly after Bob Serva left DW.
It's a great pistol always goes bang and is very accurate (2" at 25yds rested) with 200gr HG68 hand load. About the same with my carry load.
Trijicon night sights are about dead. Put a Holson RD on it for about a month. I've been shooting and carrying optic guns for about 12 years on and off.
BUT
I just can't stand the look of the red dot on my old friend the commander.

Thinking a 10-8 rear and Gold/Brass bead front. Anybody got anything they think is better than good! Just spit balling here so let me know what y'all think!

Thanks Neil

Reactions: simonp and gps man

·
Registered
397 Posts
Reactions: Spokes

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep those look like a good choice.
Thinking I going to go with a non night sight set this time
Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's closer to what I'm looking for!
Does the front sight hang over the edge of the slide? or is that an photo illusion?

Reactions: Mtek

·
Enthusiast
77 Posts
Guess I split the difference. I love the Trijicon HDs and have them on two M&Ps that were duty guns. But on Commanders, the HDs looked too "tall" for my taste. So, I have a Harrison retro style rear/Trijicon HD-XR going on one gun and a 10-8 rear/Trijicon HD-XR will be on the other (just replacing a Novak rear) when it gets back from re-finish. Bottom line, anything with the bright Trijicon HD front is good for my eyes.

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,705 Posts
Guess I split the difference. I love the Trijicon HDs and have them on two M&Ps that were duty guns. But on Commanders, the HDs looked too "tall" for my taste. So, I have a Harrison retro style rear/Trijicon HD-XR going on one gun and a 10-8 rear/Trijicon HD-XR will be on the other (just replacing a Novak rear) when it gets back from re-finish. Bottom line, anything with the bright Trijicon HD front is good for my eyes.
The HD trijicons are very visible but only usable with a sizable .156 U notch. Can use a .140 but, that is the same width as the front sight. Ed Brown offers an orange trijicon that is standard .125 width as opposed to the wider .140 as well. The HDs and U notch does work very well for tactical sight set ups for sure. But the above white ball is also very visible. More so than the Gold bead for me and my eyesight is pretty bad with or without glasses. I was pretty shocked at how well this shows up.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like the white bead sight and the SDM gold bead front sight.

·
Enthusiast
77 Posts
The HD trijicons are very visible but only usable with a sizable .156 U notch. Can use a .140 but, that is the same width as the front sight. Ed Brown offers an orange trijicon that is standard .125 width as opposed to the wider .140 as well. The HDs and U notch does work very well for tactical sight set ups for sure. But the above white ball is also very visible. More so than the Gold bead for me and my eyesight is pretty bad with or without glasses. I was pretty shocked at how well this shows up.
Guess I should have mentioned this one complication that comes up with pairing the Trijicons with normal .125 rears. I have .140 rear notches on the new rear sights and I FINALLY found the Ed Brown HD-XRs (extra room) that give me plenty of daylight. I was planning on just going with some thin F/O ones because the HDs were too big and there was no XR to fit. Glad I was signed up for the Ed Brown ads and ran across the XRs.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,705 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned this one complication that comes up with pairing the Trijicons with normal .125 rears. I have .140 rear notches on the new rear sights and I FINALLY found the Ed Brown HD-XRs (extra room) that give me plenty of daylight. I was planning on just going with some thin F/O ones because the HDs were too big and there was no XR to fit. Glad I was signed up for the Ed Brown ads and ran across the XRs.
I had to open up a client's rear adjustable sight on two of his pistols to accommodate the .140 trijicons. He is now using them very well so this is always an option to open up the rear sight a bit and allow for some daylight. ;)

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I have a 10 year old Commander. I built out of a Fusion frame and slide shortly after Bob Serva left DW.
It's a great pistol always goes bang and is very accurate (2" at 25yds rested) with 200gr HG68 hand load. About the same with my carry load.
Trijicon night sights are about dead. Put a Holson RD on it for about a month. I've been shooting and carrying optic guns for about 12 years on and off.
BUT
I just can't stand the look of the red dot on my old friend the commander.

Thinking a 10-8 rear and Gold/Brass bead front. Anybody got anything they think is better than good! Just spit balling here so let me know what y'all think!

Thanks Neil
John Harrison retro rear and Ted Yost gold line front sight. John Harrison has both in stock.
His installation price is very reasonable and turn around time is about a week if you send him the slide.
Will post some pictures of a Combat Commander so equipped shortly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts