New SR1911... So far, so good!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Melter942, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Local GS called me on Thursday to ask if I wanted one of the Ruger SR1911s he had gotten in that morning.

I picked it up today... nice! Everything's fit nice and snug and the finish is impeccable.
    DSC05157.JPG

When I got it home, I field stripped the SR1911 and my SS TRP side-by-side to have a look and compare the two.

DSC05159.JPG

The SR1911 was about half the cost of the TRP ($680 vs. $1350) and I'm quite impressed with how it held up in a visual inspection/comparison! I'll try to get good close-up photos to share of the areas where the TRP outshines the the SR1911 and where the Ruger kicks the TRP's butt.

Heading to the range tomorrow to see how she shoots next to the TRP. That is, of course, what really matters. For the time being, I'm very hopeful.

2. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Congrats on the Ruger. Hope she does well for you.

3. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Many congrats on the SR my friend:thumb:

4. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Congrats on the SR1911. Looking forward to the comparative review.

5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Congrats! From what I've heard, they're a nice bang for the buck. :thumb:

Looking forward to a more detailed comparison.

Andy

6. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I ran 200 rounds through the SR1911 today... almost flawless!

I used 6 magazines: the Ruger 7 round & 8 round that came with the gun, 2 CMC 8 round powermags, and 2 SA 7 rounders. Round #129, the last round in an SA mag failed to feed. Tried that mag again and no-go. Put the same round an another empty mag and it fed well. That was the only hiccup in 200 rounds.

I tried slow fire and rapid, even tried limp-wristing... it just kept running.

This target was 15 rounds, controlled fire, free hand, at 30 ft using the 2 Ruger mags.

IMG_0496a.jpg

I am REALLY happy with the SR's performance so far!

I field stripped the SR1911 and the TRP this evening and took pics for showing comparatives. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    So far, I have been happy with every SR1911 I have seen...glad to see yours is working so well also!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted