1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend is selling me his 686 that's been cut for moon clips by TK custom.
He also had the cyl reamed for 9mm.
Anybody have this done to theirs?
Any info would be a plus from ACTUAL users.

I've got my thoughts but figure worst case I'll shoot 9mm brass with .358 bullets loaded in them.
Already do the .358 dia. bullets in my 929 and it shoots great with them.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,945 Posts
Just curious, how does one "ream" a 357 cylinder down to 9mm?
I am not into reloading so excuse me if this is a stupid question...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9mm is a tapered case so the cyl has to be reamed for the 9's to fit.
They are used with moon clips to hold them in place and "head space" with the moon clip to keep them in proper distance for the firing pin to ignite them etc.
Old story no such thing as a "stupid" question.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picking it up Sat. and then a couple of hundred rounds of 9mm and 38 short colts

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked it up shot it. Nice Revo and got a sweet deal on it form a friend.
Every thing works like it should
Doesn't seem to bulge 38 brass with the 9 reamed cyl..
Going to run some of the brass through the sizing die in the a.m. that should show just what is happening with the 38 brass.
Did a little trigger work on it and got it down to 6lbs DA and still popping CCI primers. So obviously can go lower but all the rest of my game guns are about the same weight so may leave it for consistency.
More after I reload some of the fired 38 brass and start testing it for accuracy and reliability with the moon clips in 9mm and 38.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shot 20 Moon clips of 9mm this afternoon.
Accuracy was good, Tatered hole at 10 and 15 yds, about 21/2-3" slow fire DA at 25yds. Could have shoot it SA as the speed of the DA was very slow and smooth.
Sights are adjusted and ready for the match this weekend (local ICORE match)
38 Sht Colts show a slight bulge from 9mm Chamber reaming. Just like when I shoot them out of the 929.
Gun handles well but feels small after shooting 627's and 929's for the last 5 years or so.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Six shot gun at a uspsa match is no benno!
Loading the small cyl went better than I expected but made be kinda of laugh every time
I opened it and looked at it.. Keep thinking that's a lot smaller than my 929 cyl!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well everything was going great then the ICORE match today happened.
First stage midway through the gun started clicking instead of going bang.
2nd stage took 26 mikes cause it just quit working.
But a longer strain screw in and it worked somewhat but still got a lot of clicks and extremely light hits on the primers.
Got home took the side plate off and noticed the hammer looked out of place.
Then it looked strange! There was no post in the middle of the hammer hole!

Found the hammer stud in the plate! It had sheered off.
Emails have gone out, Alec M a GM icore shooter I know just enough to call on him for info.
Said Joe at MoJo customs is the right guy.
So an email has gone out to him and hopefully he won't have to have it very long!

Sad tale but at least I know why it started clicking today! You gotta laugh at this stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joe' got the gun but is backed up on machine shop work for several weeks.
May have him do the forcing cone while it's there.

Gun shot great until it started going click!

Reactions: WC145

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Praise the Lord!!! Got the phone call from Joe at Mo Jo customs. It's done and ready to come back home. My buddy who I got it from offered to go halves on the cost, Great Guy!
I especially appreciated it since I got the "covid19" furlough notice yesterday.
Sending the money today to pay Joe, then I'll get back to shooting this little project revo.
Looking forward to it and I'll have a month to mess with it!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it back today, looks great feels great and it's working again etc etc.
Only thing you can see is one small spot on the S&W logo where the top of the banner
Brown Gun Firearm White Trigger
( 1 o'clock) around it isn't complete. (right above the E in "trade") That where the pin is located.
Spoke with Joe at MoJo and asked him not to polish the side plate that I'd rather see the pin than deal with a high polished gun. He went out of his way to finish the outside and do a light bead blast on it and it looks great

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really like moon clips after using them in a .45 325 Thunder Ranch revolver, and contacted TK Customs the other day about cutting and chamfering a cylinder on one of my .357 magnums. Not a bad price so I may give it a go.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Range day tomorrow!
686, run it though it's paces
Commander, (with new sights & newly crowned bbl) check them and shoot it for fun and practice.
SA MilSpec rebuild with newly crowned bbl
Caspian Build 9mm with newly crowned bbl

686 shoots 9mm so could get away with 9mm and 45 ammo but think I'll run some 38's through it also since I've got a bunch loaded up from a couple of years ago!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like moon clips after using them in a .45 325 Thunder Ranch revolver, and contacted TK Customs the other day about cutting and chamfering a cylinder on one of my .357 magnums. Not a bad price so I may give it a go.
I started with Moon clips back about 40 years ago with an old 1917 revo I picked up as a kid for cheap. Found out you could load that sucker in a hurry with those moons. Wish I still had that old beauty

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some other photo's of the repair.
White Black Grey Trigger Still life photography
Iron Metal Still life photography Silver Steel

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started with Moon clips back about 40 years ago with an old 1917 revo I picked up as a kid for cheap. Found out you could load that sucker in a hurry with those moons. Wish I still had that old beauty
Seems like there are a lot of benefits to moon clips, speed and ease of reload, round retention, and easier extraction\ejection.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you use all the same brass and get the correct MC from TK it'll run smooth as can be.
If you have a titanium cyl don't use starline brass for some reason it sticks in Ti cyl's.
Other wise I buy a 1000 cases from "starline" and just keep them for that revolver / caliber and the stuff lasts forever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts