1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember dreaming about them way back when I was first really getting into the 1911, so when one popped up at a somewhat reasonable price I decided to pick her up.

I know there are more practical compacts available these days, but I always wanted a Detonics :D

Only came with one mag, but a Tripp 7 round compact works well, I just need to get a 10 round baseplate and trim it so I don't over insert.

Ran well with ball ammo, although I had a couple of failures to return fully to battery with blazer ammo. Flat out refuses to feed 200gr LSWC, however it really likes one of my standard general purpose loads that uses a 200gr hardcast RNFP bullet.

Only changes so far is to replace the Pachmayr grips with a cut down pair of cocobolo grips, and swap out the trigger (I'm putting the little porker on a diet, I may try an aluminum mainspring house as well).

Got a few age spots, but then I'm not as pretty as I was 30 years ago either.
Gun Brown Firearm White Trigger

Brown Gun Firearm Photograph White

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,493 Posts
Sonny Crockett carried one as a back up on his ankle, great score
Cool guns, I've had a couple, but they are stout, like little bricks, can't imagine carrying one on the ankle. Clearly, I'm no Sonny Crockett!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was a serious Detonics collector back in the day and at 1 time I owned 68 of them. All gone now. There wasn't a model or caliber that I did not have (9MM, 38 super, 45 ACP, & ,451 D-MAG. They were great guns in their day. You might want to stock up on a few spare parrts, especially recoil springs. Somewhere on 1 of the forums somebody liked them so much he had a Colt machined to the same external configuration. Good find and a great looking gun.

·
7,493 Posts
I was a serious Detonics collector back in the day and at 1 time I owned 68 of them. All gone now. There wasn't a model or caliber that I did not have (9MM, 38 super, 45 ACP, & ,451 D-MAG. They were great guns in their day. You might want to stock up on a few spare parrts, especially recoil springs. Somewhere on 1 of the forums somebody liked them so much he had a Colt machined to the same external configuration. Good find and a great looking gun.
Helluva collection! I've only had a few but one of the neatest was a Detonics USA StreetMaster, it had the short grip frame with a full length 5" barrel/slide. Took me a while to find that one, they're like hen's teeth.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's quite a find, sir. Yours is the first one that I have ever actually seen. Beautiful gun
Any idea of how many of those were built?
I still have 3 of the original 451D mags which had somewhat of a curved hook on them.

·
7,493 Posts
IIRC, they made
That's quite a find, sir. Yours is the first one that I have ever actually seen. Beautiful gun
Any idea of how many of those were built?
I still have 3 of the original 451D mags which had somewhat of a curved hook on them.
IIRC there were a little under 200 made by DetonicsUSA, mine was 171. The original Seattle Detonics made a literal handful of them, I've seen pics of two.

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,842 Posts
The actual reported rarest are the ones made when the company briefly moved to Arizona. They were Combat Masters as well, but Series 3 or something like that. At the time there were only a few employees even making them, totally hand fitting them. Had one, bought it cheap, sold it cheap......then of course heard later that it was worth much more....ugh. They are cool guns and shoot very well as they are heavy. I am sure Don Johnson did not like running around with one of these strapped to his ankle....lol

·
7,493 Posts
I always thought those little Detonics were so freaking cool. Shame they’ve never been able to successfully reboot.

Nice acquisition. :thumbs:
Of the multiple efforts to keep the company alive the only guns they've made worth having were the Seattle and Bellevue marked guns and the DetonicsUSA versions, which were built to the same specs as the originals except they used modern CNC machines. IIRC, things started getting a little sketchy towards the end of DetonicsUSA because they were pretty much just throwing guns together trying to get them out the door before they closed down.

·
7,493 Posts
The actual reported rarest are the ones made when the company briefly moved to Arizona. They were Combat Masters as well, but Series 3 or something like that. At the time there were only a few employees even making them, totally hand fitting them. Had one, bought it cheap, sold it cheap......then of course heard later that it was worth much more....ugh. They are cool guns and shoot very well as they are heavy. I am sure Don Johnson did not like running around with one of these strapped to his ankle....lol
That's interesting because everything I have ever heard about "New Detonics", which was the third generation of the company and based in AZ, was to avoid those guns due to poor quality and workmanship.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Besides parts they have about the shortest grip of any 1911 variant. Here is my 1984 with an Officers length mag in it.

And here with a Gov length mag in it.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,842 Posts
WC, that was the series of my gun I owned. It was quite nice, so obviously I bought a good one. It was 2 tone and I really did not know much about them. Had read more about the "Seattle" guns which were more innovative for the time they came out. By the time they were making the 3rd generation of these, Colt, Para and others were making "little" 45's.

·
....front sight,press,repeat
385 Posts
“Sonny carried one...Hell”
The prop guy rigged it up for the take and that was it!!

While we are reminiscing
Jerry Ahern wrote a book series called the Survivaist. The main character John Thomas Rourke carries a pair of them in a Jackass shoulder holster stainless ones... as well as a 6” Colt Python on his hip when geared up for “war”.... read those books at age 11, thanks Dad!
I have always Wanted one

I am so envious .....

Sh*t this must be my longest post ever!!
Baaahaaaa

Reactions: LPRoad
1 - 19 of 19 Posts