1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first 1911 (from Xringchaser) and have a few questions. Planning on sending back to Wilson for a few changes one of which is an ambi safety as I’m left handed. Was thinking of changing grips, don’t need laser grips, and adding a few mags, spending a few bucks on ammo and getting the feel for a 1911 before sending and spending. Do you think this is wise to play some first?

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,042 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. If you are somewhere you can't find ammo and all your ranges are closed send it now and be ready for the re-opening of humanity. If you can run a few hundred rounds through it do that and then send it.

I'd also decide if the sights are what you want, that would be another personalized feature to have done, maybe a magwell as well.

You didn't mention, model size, finish, sights, caliber, etc

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a WC Bill Wilson Carry CQB, and I do have the good fortune of being able to shoot in my backyard. Might also add sights are dead.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Agree with @azguy1911 if everything is shut down right now for you, Id send it off now and have the work done. Ambi safety, sights and anything else, have it shipped back with some new extra magazines and go to town.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Shoot it first, since you have a back yard range.
200-500 rounds to see what you like and don't about the pistol.
If you're not using it for PD then you might ? the need for night sights. etc.

Once you know the gun preforms the way you expect. Then you have a small base line to
change things that you want, need or desire.
Also plenty of good gun smiths who can do the work you want other than WC. Not a slight against Wilson just more options and maybe quicker turn around time.

Reactions: Mike0707 and dash

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Have run a few mags through and all seems well other than shooting low. Could be me as I’ve not spent any time with a WC

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Have run a few mags through and all seems well other than shooting low. Could be me as I’ve not spent any time with a WC
I’m just curious if the rear sight is a U notch . For some reason, I shoot those low. My friend has one and he claims there is an adjustment period with them. He’s the kind of shooter that gets bored shooting one hole. He chips away at the paint until he’s removed the bullseye completely. He shot it low at first too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes rear is u notch. Getting to know this one is a hoot. Learning curve in several aspects for me. I’ll keep plugging away and we will see

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a few Wilson’s and I’ve sent a couple in for mods. They always come back better! The adjust everything. Just my experience...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I’m just curious if the rear sight is a U notch . For some reason, I shoot those low. My friend has one and he claims there is an adjustment period with them. He’s the kind of shooter that gets bored shooting one hole. He chips away at the paint until he’s removed the bullseye completely. He shot it low at first too.
This photo from a current gunsmithing thread shows, I think, the idea about u notches causing low groups. I have a tendency to put the front sight at the bottom of the notch instead at the top. I personally find it to be even more pronounced with FO sights because they have a tiny front dot.

DA622FD7-915C-4328-8733-8887C6479E97.png

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve got a bunch to learn and that makes sense. Very possible that I too had dot at the bottom. Thanks guys, all very helpful

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,062 Posts
Depending on your range, you may need a shorter front sight.
Or it has a 20-25 yard zero.

Reactions: esmith1721
1 - 13 of 13 Posts