New to STI and WOW!

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Badabing11, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    A friend of mine bought an STI Edge. He let me shoot it for the first time last week.

Folks, I don't know the first thing about STIs, what make them 2011's or anything else for that matter. But I can tell you that this gun in 45 was absolutely unbelievable. I shot better groups with it than anything I've ever fired. I am not a good shooter by the standards of the good marksmen on Addicts. But this thing was ridiculous. All shots were touching each other except two which were my fault. Its hard to imagine that a pistol alone could turn this old fatman with shakey hands, and weak eyes into a competitor . I don't understand it, but I've been bitten.

I gotta tap in here to learn more about these things.

2. John Butler

John Butler Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 23, 2018
    Welcome to the club, just wait till you shoot one in 9 mm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I'm afraid........:eek:

"just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Dwe and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  4. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    welcome to the STI club! LOL! STI makes a great firearm. I compete in USPSA with a STI Eagle (same as an Edge, but with a bushing barrel vs bull barrel) in .40s&w. The thing just flat out runs and is accurate. STI takes their time building these things and they pay attention to them with some subtle hand fitting and insuring a solid slide-to-frame fit (I believe they take a frame and try multiple slides until they find one that fits just right, then they proceed to build out the rest of the gun).

I'd say about 80% (or more) of the competitors I see all run STI's...they are tops in the shooting competition's (excluding .45acp Bullseye). They accept 1911 internal parts, are just as easy to work on, and last.

The only downside I've ever seen was either mag's that had the feedlips out of spec causing some issues (Dawson Precision has a mag feedlip kit to get them back into spec) or extractors sometimes not being tuned well enough. Other than that, they are solid.

Get one, if ya don't have one already. I have an older STI Trojan in .45acp for Single Stack and that thing out shoots some of the Wilson's others run....

Badabing11 likes this.
  5. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    I just took these pics today. Still sealed in the plastic bag. I know you want one ;)

6P 2.jpg 6P.jpg

6. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    PIMP!

Badabing11 likes this.
  7. Keechi Kid

Keechi Kid New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Badabing11 likes this.
  8. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Those are all standard models based on the rear sights.

Badabing11 likes this.
  9. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Dan,

The Kid is looking for a HOST model. Do you have anything in the pipeline?

Badabing11 likes this.
  10. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Standard

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Badabing11 likes this.
  11. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    STI’s are fine weapons. Very well put together.

Badabing11 likes this.
  12. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    Something special about STI's. I loved shooting my CZ TSO, but when I shot my EDGE for the first time (which I bought from Dan @BBP), it was all over. For whatever reason, my own hand biomechanics works best with a 1911 style grip, and specifically grip-Angle in relation to frame. The STI gave me that, with a 20 round mag capacity. And then the guns are just built really well.

13. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    IMO, they really are the best of both worlds. Mag capacity, and 1911 ergonomics. I never could shoot anything else as well, and wasn't as comfortable shooting anything else other than a 1911. I began shooting polymer framed guns, XD's and Glock's. The minute I got my hands on a 1911 I knew the search was over, though it took years to get the perfect gun for me.

It wasn't until late last year did I ever hold/purchase a 2011. I was always was interested in them, but either could not afford the hobby or didn't have time. Then it happened, it's like the planets aligned and Bam!!! I also feel your passion for the 2011 platform. I would go 100k in debt, if I didn't have the wife and kids, to have one of each model, even the single stacks they used to make. Just love the design, 2011 grip is great, I have long fingers so it's like the grip was made for me. The only downside I have is cosmetic, the massive script across the slide on some of the models. Mag issues haven't been a problem for me as of yet, but I think it will happen.

Have fun, there are many models. I still hold the DVC 5 in. Tactical as my favorite pistol they make. Though a carry comp is high on the list, and price range.

Sierra117, Badabing11 and Nemain like this.