1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to pick up a suppressor for a Gen4 G19 but I know absolutely nothing about the products or procedures. Where does a guy start the process? What all do I need?

·
just one more
656 Posts
Get ready to do some reading. After WAY to many years of back and forth I'm finally taking the plunge too. Silencer shop and a few others have online resources. A few thing to iron out include- trust vs individual ownership, will you use it for a single or multiple guns, for some items travel can be an issue etc. Sadly the other thing is once you sort out exatly what you want it can be sorta hard to find. I decided a YHM 30 cal resonator was just the ticket...but I couldn't find one in stock anywhere for a full year (not a pistol suppressor so YMMV). So if you decide what you want and find it available then taken the plunge.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
This is a product that I personally haven't really Jonesed over much, but one aspect of ownership that I have never seen discussed is;

What does a private party / trust need to do to sell / rehome such a device?

I'm not asking about the requirements a dealer or manufacturer has on them, but just the average Joe who has jumped through all the hoops to legally acquire one?

Not asking for a friend, just general curiosity.

Z

·
Registered
42 Posts
You pretty much have to hold on to it. If you sell one, the person pays you, and you guys do the paperwork to send to atf. you keep the suppressor or sbr or whatever and once you get the approval from atf, you hand the item and stamp over to the person you sold it to. my last suppressor was 13 months! my eform 1 sbr was less than a month. i'm hoping the two i sent in in November as individuals will not take over a year. no trust for atf agent to read. just run my background.

i think it's very rare for someone to sell their sbrs or suppressors to another person.

for me, it's pretty much buy it and it's mine. i think it's a form 5 tax exempt transfer i need to do to transfer it to my kids when i die? or just add them to my trust?
or is it form 10 tax exempt? one of them. i just did a bunch of forms for machine guns for work, i can't remember if it was form 10 or form 5.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
You pretty much have to hold on to it. If you sell one, the person pays you, and you guys do the paperwork to send to atf. you keep the suppressor or sbr or whatever and once you get the approval from atf, you hand the item and stamp over to the person you sold it to. my last suppressor was 13 months! my eform 1 sbr was less than a month. i'm hoping the two i sent in in November as individuals will not take over a year. no trust for atf agent to read. just run my background.

i think it's very rare for someone to sell their sbrs or suppressors to another person.

for me, it's pretty much buy it and it's mine. i think it's a form 5 tax exempt transfer i need to do to transfer it to my kids when i die? or just add them to my trust?
or is it form 10 tax exempt? one of them. i just did a bunch of forms for machine guns for work, i can't remember if it was form 10 or form 5.

Great points, I never thought about non-trust estate ramifications of owning one of these, or any highly regulated firearms.

I don't think the word "infringed" means what they think it means . . . . .

·
Banned
144 Posts

I've honestly never heard of someone doing a person to person NFA transfer. Best way is to transfer it to a dealer with a Class III/SOT dealer on a Form 3 and let the purchaser do a Form 4 with that dealer. Dealer will likely charge you a transfer fee but they hold the NFA item until the buyer's stamp gets issued.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I'd like to pick up a suppressor for a Gen4 G19 but I know absolutely nothing about the products or procedures. Where does a guy start the process? What all do I need?
Easiest way to do it is to find a Silencershop kiosk dealer in your area. I know there are a few in Phoenix. They do your Form 4 and prints right on the machine and take your pic with the Silencershop app on your phone. Then you get an email to e-sign the form 4 and you are done. The dealer or Silencershop (wherever you purchase the suppressor) will charge you for the tax stamp (plus a few bucks extra) and submit everything on your behalf. Did one all in store and it took less than 20 minutes all in. Second one I ordered directly from Silencershop and didn't have to even step foot in the store since it keeps everything in the system.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Start here for the education. Then research the model/type/cost you want. You can use Silencerco or your neighborhood class 3 dealer. The education is more work than filling out the paperwork. I just got mine, 9months 2 weeks. Yes you buy it first and it sits in a safe until your paperwork comes back.

https://silencerco.com/yes-silencers-are-legal

ps. I bought one for a .22, the Silencerco Sparrow. It's a hoot to shoot (lol)...very quiet, no hearing protection needed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you think you'll shoot 45 through it, then get a 45 cal that takes changeable pistons.
I have a 45 cal Osprey, with a quick change of piston I can switch it between my 1911, my sig 226 in 9 or HK's daft proprietary threading.

It's not quite as quiet as a dedicated 9mm can, but the flexibility more than makes up for that

·
836 Posts
Agree with most of the stuff people have already said.

If you buy any NFA item, go into it with the mindset that you will probably never sell it.

Buy a can that's larger than what you want to to shoot. For example, if you want to shoot 9mm, get a .45 can. If you want to shoot 5.56, get a .308, etc. You will end up saving money and time in the long run if you go this route. The only exception is .22lr. Get a dedicated .22lr can because those get dirty really quick and you need one that can be easily broken down for cleaning.

There is a TON of hype in the suppressor market. They all more or less offer the same amount of performance so don't get to wrapped up in trying to find the "best" one. I suggest finding one that uses a mounting system you really like, or a really good warranty, etc, etc. One thing I would say is, I like Surefire because their cans do a good job of reducing blowback, and I like the Dead Air QD mounting system. OSS has some interesting stuff but I don't have a lot of time using their products.

I would suggest going through Silencershop or some similar service. Its pretty much the easy button at this point. I suggest establishing a trust. It will save you time in the future.

After you get your first NFA item, you'll probably get more. Its a fairly simple process once you figure everything out.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been told to use subsonic ammo. I understand the reason. But what about 9mm +P for home defense? Is the supressor still effective?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yes the suppressor will get rid of the initial big boom, it won't get rid of the sonic crack (boom) you hear when the supersonic bullet hit the air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing I will add is that most people start with wanting to buy the quietest suppressors available, which end up being big/heavy. After using them for a bit, most people later switch to wanting smaller/lighter suppressors as the handling of big/heavy cans on the end of your muzzle can be a pain. For 556/308, you also end up usually wearing hearing protection even with the suppressor... thus, a small can works just fine to take away the blast and get you close enough to 140db.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I started with multical suppressors but ended up getting dedicated suppressors.
Waiting on stamps #16 and #17 now.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
One thing I will add is that most people start with wanting to buy the quietest suppressors available, which end up being big/heavy. After using them for a bit, most people later switch to wanting smaller/lighter suppressors as the handling of big/heavy cans on the end of your muzzle can be a pain. For 556/308, you also end up usually wearing hearing protection even with the suppressor... thus, a small can works just fine to take away the blast and get you close enough to 140db.
This is why I have 2 AAC 5.56 MINIs. They do well swallowing the initial blast. Outdoors it’s borderline safe to shoot without hearing protection. But they are small compact cans that significantly diminish the blast.
But suppressors have a way of multiplying. If you’re gonna jump in than pick out like 2-4 and do them all at once. Because getting one every year sucks and takes forever.

645A0700-E115-43BE-8699-ABB7D7F1FF95.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is why I have 2 AAC 5.56 MINIs. They do well swallowing the initial blast. Outdoors it’s borderline safe to shoot without hearing protection. But they are small compact cans that significantly diminish the blast.
But suppressors have a way of multiplying. If you’re gonna jump in than pick out like 2-4 and do them all at once. Because getting one every year sucks and takes forever.

View attachment 517439

Yep, I have a Sandman K and a Turbo K and I think those are my most used suppressors compared to my longer ones. As Chowser said above, it is also pretty common to start with modular suppressors that fit multiple different hosts/calibers, and then moving to more dedicated suppressors for specific hosts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been told to use subsonic ammo. I understand the reason. But what about 9mm +P for home defense? Is the supressor still effective?
Don't believe I'd much enjoy getting shot with subsonic, but yes if you're not going John Wick and picking them off one at a time, the suppressor will still mitigate the blast and flash much to your benefit indoors with +P...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Easiest way to do it is to find a Silencershop kiosk dealer in your area. I know there are a few in Phoenix. They do your Form 4 and prints right on the machine and take your pic with the Silencershop app on your phone. Then you get an email to e-sign the form 4 and you are done. The dealer or Silencershop (wherever you purchase the suppressor) will charge you for the tax stamp (plus a few bucks extra) and submit everything on your behalf. Did one all in store and it took less than 20 minutes all in. Second one I ordered directly from Silencershop and didn't have to even step foot in the store since it keeps everything in the system.
This.
I bought from Silencer shop. And they make it easy. Be prepared to wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts