New to USPSA - Gear Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by JohnnyEgo, Oct 13, 2017.

1. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Couple of background stats before the main question:
    I'm signed up for my first USPSA shoot at an indoor range in November. I'm on the wrong side of 40, and not interested in being at the top of the stack, but I do want to get into shooting and moving again, though at an indoor range with heat in the winter. The gear I do have is heavily focused on what was popular in two gun, three gun, and tactical-oriented carbine shooting between 10 and 15 years ago, which is to say that it is very dated and probably not well suited to the voluminous rules of USPSA competition.

I will be running a 10mm single-stack 1911 in the 'Limited 10' group. I've got the gun and the holster. What I don't have are magazine carriers and a suitable belt. My budget for these items tops out at $300-$400, and I don't mind spending less, but I do want something that is of good quality and design. If this price range is not realistic, don't hesitate to tell me. I am also not sure what the 'right' number of magazine pouches I should have. I am a wide-body model, so I have plenty of real-estate with which to mount them, but I don't want to be carrying way more or way less then I should.

I very much appreciate any advice you fine folks can give me, as well as prayers that I do not DQ myself for something within the first five minutes of the shoot. Thanks!

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    gun_fan111 likes this.

3. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend

Aug 29, 2017
    Safariland, Bladetech or Comptac with an inner and outer belt and you are G2G. Good luck and have fun!

4. tbarker13

tbarker13 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 4, 2013
    I shoot SS minor - so I'm also running at 10 rounds. I use 6 mag pouches. I shoot a fair amount (3-5 matches a month). It's rare that I ever have to reach for even the 5th mag. But it has happened - odd course designs can cause you to dump a mag after only firing 3-4 rounds. A bobbled reload (better to grab another from your belt than worry about the one you just dropped), etc.
    I've tried a few different mag pouches. My current favorites are by Black Scorpion. Nice thing about them is they can adapt to pretty much any pistol mag. And they keep the mag out away from your body - making it easier to grab. They aren't the only ones that do this, but I do consider it a must-have with my SS pouches. Very smooth release on the mags.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Black-Scorpion-Storm-Pouch-P3589.aspx

As far as holsters go, Bladetechs are fine. But I've grown to prefer the double-walled holsters by Red Hill Tactical. Just a better product.

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I shoot USPSA action pistol in the single stack division with .45, 9mm, and .38 Super 1911s, don't know why you want to put yourself in Limited 10, no advantage for you there.

I compete with the guns I carry. I use a Garrett Silent Thunder Champion holster and the Garrett mag carriers that I use for EDC, my usual carry holster is a Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0. My son shoots with me, he uses a Springfield EMP4, also in SS, and also uses Garrett gear. They're stuff is top notch and works as well on the street as the range. If cost is a concern consider equipment that you can use everyday, not just in matches.

This is my boy's rig-
    [​IMG]

aleal45, Scaramouche and sparky.0 like this.
  6. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    I've been looking at Limited 10 because I carry 9 and 10 round Tripp Cobra magazines, and it looks like I would be limited to using 8 rounds in the Single Stack class, and I think I can use my longslide Nighthawk in Limited but not in Single Stack. And probably because I am also brand new at this and have a limited understanding of the classes and strategies.

I've already got a pile of Blade Tech holsters in just about every flavor known to man. They are currently all wearing G-Code hangers, so I figured I'd just go with that, although I do have all the Tek lock brackets that came with them. I've also got a Garret Silent Thunder. This is the set-up I use for bowling pin, but I know I need more magazine pouches, and probably a purpose-driven belt.

[​IMG]

I think I am sold on the DAA belt. I am a little on the fence between their single stack racers and the Safari-land offerings.

WC145 and aleal45 like this.
  7. tbarker13

Sep 4, 2013
    The DAA racers are fine. I just sold my set when I moved to the Black Scorpions. For me, the DAA's tended to bind on the reloads. But these were the standard DAAs with SS inserts.

Really, if you are just doing this for fun, shoot whatever you have and make it work. I'd say that Limited 10 is pretty much a non-existent division. You'll probably be lucky if there are one or two other competitors shooting that division at a match. Then again, unless you get lucky, you won't find many more competitors in the SS division. Most people shoot in Production, Limited or Open.

8. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Could you please elaborate on what actually binds and when? Are you saying you are not getting a smooth draw of the magazine from the pouch?

I am new to competitions but this year I used double stack AA magazine pouches with single stack 1911 magazines. I ordered the inserts to convert for single stack but never installed them, having the extra width allowed me to angle the magazines out and away from the body without buying the upgraded kind that allow for that feature.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    What Gear do you have? Most of my L10 rig is that old or more. My holster is 20 years old. Not everything goes out of date that quickly.

10. tbarker13

Sep 4, 2013
    I was using the double-stack pouches with the SS inserts. I like that combo, because it pushes the mags out a little further from your body. Regarding the binding, it could just be me and the angle at which I pulled the mag from the pouch. But if I didn't pull the mag straight up, it would feel like the mag pouch didn't want to let go of the mag.

11. tbarker13

Sep 4, 2013
    Another thought regarding mag pouches. You could try ordering one of each of several different models - then do a little test to see how each of them feels. Just don't abuse them so you can return them, once you settle in on the one you actually like. If you don't have a slim waist, you'll probably be more appreciative of the pouches that push the magazine out from the belt.

On belts - those competition belts by DAA, CR Speed (and others) are the way to go. So much more support for your gear than just a standard belt.

That first link above by Tarosean also included a Boss hangar. That small rectangle of aluminum has become pretty much a standard for holster hangars in USPSA. Does a great job of keeping the holster in place. Rock solid.

12. tbarker13

Sep 4, 2013
    A few images to demonstrate a couple things I mentioned earlier.

Here you can see how the boss hangar positions the gun on the belt.

boss.jpg

Here you see how the mags are held away from the belt. Helps with reloads.

pouches.jpg

And my current set-up. Red Hill Tactical double-walled holster, Boss Hangar, CR Speed competition belt, Black Scorpion mag pouches, with my increasingly beat-up WC CQB.

setup.jpg

aleal45 likes this.
  13. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    The holster bodies are mostly Blade Tech, although as mentioned adapted to G-Code plates. I could swap them out easily enough with the Boss Plate tbarker13 mentioned. The belts I have mostly predate the molle battle belt craze. They are wide, but not as stiff as the DAA belts look. Mostly 1.75" or 2" single web belts. I have a lot of early Esstac, Tactical Taylor, and HSGI gear. Essentially, I stopped shooting 2-gun and 3-gun when my youngest was born, and my gear completely stopped evolving. It's not bad gear, it just doesn't look well-suited to USPSA.

[​IMG]

I think I am going to start with the rig Tarosean mentioned above, minus the holster body. It looks good enough to get me through the first match, and presumably is popular enough I can sell it easily if I don't end up liking it or move on to other gear.

I truly appreciate all the responses from all of you. Thanks especially to tbarker13 for your detailed explanation and photos.

tbarker13 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted