New toy is here - vintage Krebs/Tripp 2011 race gun!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by WC145, Nov 27, 2018.

1. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've owned lots and lots of 1911s but never a 2011 and never a race gun but that's about to change. During last week's discussion about the Vickers built Colt on gunbroker I had noted that the seller also had a Marc Krebs built 1911 for sale. Since I'm a fan of Marc's pistol work and have a couple of his guns that prompted me to check and see if there were any others listed and, surprisingly enough, this Krebs built Tripp 2011 .38 Super was on the block. I hemmed and hawed and waited too long and the auction ran out without any bids. It reposted automatically and I was the only bidder, getting the gun for $950! I'm pretty excited about it because you just don't see that many Krebs pistols for sale and Marc was one of the big name race gun builders back in the day, I believe this gun dates from the early-mid '90s. I don't expect that Krebs Custom will have any info on it because they don't have any records on my other guns, other than Marc's memory, but I will email him anyway and see if it rings any bells. Can't wait to shoot it, ought to be a ball!

Gunbroker pics-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Kip, FWoo45, limbkiller and 10 others like this.
  2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Bet 10:1 odds Marc will remember this one

wcanterbury and WC145 like this.

3. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    You never cease to amaze me at your ability to find pieces like this. Congrats.

WC145 likes this.
  4. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    You were right! I picked the gun up Monday, it's pretty damn cool. The grip is not nearly as thick as I thought it would be and it is very light, you can see by the pics how much metal was milled away.

The first thing I did after getting my hands on it was call Tripp Research to see if they could tell me when it was made. The lady that answered the phone put Virgil himself on and we talked a few minutes and by his memory it would have been just a grip frame, chassis, and slide made around '93.

Then I gave Krebs Custom a call, spoke to a very helpful guy named Brian, told him what I wanted and he said he'd have Marc call me and sure enough he rang me back about 20 minutes later. Marc remembered the gun, the titanium dual port compensator set it apart, he said that it was run by a big name shooter in the '93 Bianchi Cup. We also talked about the Crowbar and my Krebs Commander and he had some great stories about the guns. The best part of the conversation is that he agreed to go through the 2011 and make sure that it's sorted out, tuned up, and ready to run, which is great since he normally doesn't do any 1911 or race gun work anymore. I'll be sending it off to him as soon as he's ready for it and I'm pretty excited about the whole thing, it's like buying a vintage race car and having the original race team set it up to get it back on the track! I haven't shot it yet, don't know if I'll have a chance before I ship it off but I'll definitely post a range report when I get it back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Karl Beining, Kip, FWoo45 and 5 others like this.
  5. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    That is a sweet rig right there! There's a few unique features on that I've never seen before.

WC145 likes this.
  6. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    One hell of a story! Congrats! Tagged for future updates.

WC145 likes this.
  7. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    I actually spoke to Marc on Friday regarding SBR'ing one of my Krebs AKs. Brought up his 1911 work and asked if he was going to ever get back into it. Believe his exact words were, "I'd rather chop my own hands off". Apparently rifles are a tad less labor intensive.

Kip and WC145 like this.
  8. Plasman

Plasman Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Great score! This is the kind of stuff I love to get.

WC145 likes this.
  9. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Yeah, I spoke to him before after I bought the Crowbar and he said essentially the same thing, though he said the problem wasn't the guns as much as it was the customers. Apparently top tier competitors can be pretty demanding. Mark Hartshorne also used to build race guns and he told me the same thing, that's why he quit them and 1911s and only does revolvers now. I'm very happy that Marc has agreed to take care of this gun for me, he said "Race guns are like race cars. You don't want to let just any goober work on them and it's best to have the original goober do the work if you can."

We also talked about either getting my hands on one of the KTR03s he did in .308 or maybe doing something with a new Galil Ace in .308, we'll see where that goes.:grin:

10. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That gun is awesome. Glad you saved it and will give it the care it deserves.

WC145 likes this.
  11. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Marc was/is an innovative 'smith with an eye for interesting details, that's one of the reasons I like his work. For instance, the Crowbar revolver has a bobbed hammer but it is not DAO, the top of the hammer is crosshatched so you can get some purchase on it to cock or decock it. Marc machined a scallop into the top of the frame around the hammer to allow your thumb to get a better grip on it so there's less chance of the hammer slipping out from under it. It's something I've never seen on another revolver but when you look at it it is so simple and effective you wonder why it's not a common modification. And he built that gun back in the late '80s.
    [​IMG]

Karl Beining, SparkyAZ and Kip like this.
  12. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    You should feel the mag release paddle on one of his AK's. Like butter. Don't think anyone else comes even close to it.

WC145 likes this.
  13. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    He's very talented. My Krebs Commander has one of the best 1911 triggers I've ever felt and it still has all the Series 80 components in place and functional.

14. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    pretty cool.. Now you have the gat.. load up some Major PF ammo and hit USPSA Open..

WC145 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted