1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
HS Custom LLC
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've free'd up the other 1911 work it's time to start this one. Caspian Frame/Slide Chopped full of coolness to include obviously the coned comp, checkering, balls, flat top w/serrations, square trigger guard, bomar, gold line, etc etc. Time to party. Kinda. My end mill ate crap on the recoil shoulder so we have to wait till Friday to continue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
HS Custom LLC
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet....so a cone barrel like Joe Chambers uses?
The comp blank from EGW has an integral cone on the back. The barrel will be threaded and cone portion fit on lathe like normal cone fitting. The comp will have to be timed to line up when screwed on.

·
The Tinker
4,481 Posts
Instead of making one, I bought the EGW just before Christmas. But after inspecting it I'm not sure it's going to work for what I intended. I'm waiting to hear back from EGW on a couple of questions.

·
Premium Member
31,238 Posts
The comp blank from EGW has an integral cone on the back. The barrel will be threaded and cone portion fit on lathe like normal cone fitting. The comp will have to be timed to line up when screwed on.

ah,.....cool project for sure

thanks

·
The Tinker
4,481 Posts
Nice work Sir! :)

I was disappointed with the depth that EGW bored and threaded into the comp. I wanted to start the first of two .250" chambers about .1" from the back edge of the comp to keep OAL shorter for carry. But because they went almost .6" into the back of the comp area I can't do this.

Looks like I'm back to my original plan of making my own coned comp from billet. Cutting the cone from a rectangular piece of stock should be fun. I really hate (as do my inserts) interrupted cuts. :(

·
HS Custom LLC
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice work Sir! :)

I was disappointed with the depth that EGW bored and threaded into the comp. I wanted to start the first of two .250" chambers about .1" from the back edge of the comp to keep OAL shorter for carry. But because they went almost .6" into the back of the comp area I can't do this.

Looks like I'm back to my original plan of making my own coned comp from billet. Cutting the cone from a rectangular piece of stock should be fun. I really hate (as do my inserts) interrupted cuts. :(
Yes! I hear ya. Were you putting the front sight on the slide or comp? Making one would be fun. Maybe once. Maybe not at all. Bahaha

Keep me updated on your progress! HSS is my choice for the ol chip, chip, chip, chip action! Lol

·
The Tinker
4,481 Posts
Yes! I hear ya. Were you putting the front sight on the slide or comp? Making one would be fun. Maybe once. Maybe not at all. Bahaha

Keep me updated on your progress! HSS is my choice for the ol chip, chip, chip, chip action! Lol

No front sight. RDS pistol.

Yea, I'm looking at buying a couple of HSS cutters for this. All of my tooling is carbide, and interrupted cuts just hammer carbide inserts.

If I'm going to do this I'll probably make a couple of them so I have a spare, as I'll likely not want to do it again. Just in case... ;)

·
HS Custom LLC
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No front sight. RDS pistol.

Yea, I'm looking at buying a couple of HSS cutters for this. All of my tooling is carbide, and interrupted cuts just hammer carbide inserts.

If I'm going to do this I'll probably make a couple of them so I have a spare, as I'll likely not want to do it again. Just in case... ;)
Definitely!!!! Heck man just grab a chunk of 3/8 for $5 bucks and hit the ol grinder!

I still haven't made the jump to carbide tooling except I'm going to grab a OD threading holder as I'm tired of grinding threading tools. Lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.