Newbie needs help

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bill mansfield, May 6, 2019.

1. Bill mansfield

Bill mansfield New Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I've read and searched for the last year and a half on building and fitting pieces to my frame. The day has finally came that I have more parts than just a frame. I went to check fitment of my grip safety knowing I would have to do some fitting to the tangs but what I ran into is that my safety is either taller than the cut out or the bottoms of the tangs need to be shaved down. Looking for some advice on what to do before I destroy something.

Attached Files:

2. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Well, if I understand you correctly this is what you will need to know: the radius of the frame tangs and the radius of your grip safety. If the frame tangs are not already cut down too much you can fit the grip safety nicely to the frame. You will need a fixture to grind the frame tangs to the correct radius. Then once you are close switch to the grip safety and mark and file until you get a good fit. Keep it even and measure often so you don't fit it crooked. Also be sure the internal fit is snug as well so it doesn't rock back and forth on the frame. Good luck!

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted