Newbie Question, Replacing Grips

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BigBL87, Nov 1, 2018.

1. BigBL87

BigBL87 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Hey all, think I'm going to switch out the grips on my newly acquired Springfield Loaded Stainless. I'm a big fan of rosewood, and think I found a set I like from Altamont Co.. I really liked the grips I got for my PT-92 back in the day, and I like the simple but classy design, as it is going to be a range gun as well as a "show it off" piece.

[​IMG]

So, the question I have is, among the options when ordering are an ambidextrous safety cut and an extended safety cut. As my Loaded has extended ambidextrous safeties, I should select both, right? Reading other sources, it looks like not all safeties need both cuts, but I don't know about mine in particular.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I also have a Loaded but the ambi safety isn't nearly as long as the ambi safety on some of my Kimbers.. which do contact on some grips. I simply did a minor round file relief until it cleared... very minor. I would go with just an ambi cut.

Kip and gps man like this.
  4. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
  5. BigBL87

BigBL87 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Show us the right side of your gun, but 99% of stock Springer Loaded's will require an ambi cut set of grips.

Scaramouche likes this.
  7. BigBL87

BigBL87 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
    The pic above is the right side I'm pretty sure, would a different angle be more helpful? I figured the ambi cut was probably a given, but the extended safety cut was more what I wasn't sure about.

8. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The other "right side" . . . . what's shown is the port side, let's try the starboard side . . .

Besides, that ain't no Springfield Loaded, which was the gun you said you were concerned about, correct?

Last time I checked, Smith and Wesson wasn't making Springfield's . . . .

9. BigBL87

BigBL87 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I was talking about the picture in post #5, unless that's not showing up right like it is for me.

10. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    There is no pic in #5 ......... soooooooooo here's a couple of mine. (Right, starboard, non-left side) @ZoidMeister
    First pic shows ambi cut. The clearance of the safety seems to be adequate. IMG_1850 (2).jpg IMG_1851 (2).jpg

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  12. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Yeah, this is what we see.

upload_2018-11-2_14-22-15.png

Nada . . . . .

Nada ting . . . . .

BenchMonkey likes this.
  13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Anyway, continuing onward.

The little tab I have circled in red below (the lower circle) determines whether your grips need to be "ambi-cut" or not. If your starboard side thumb safety has this tab, you need the cut. Some safeties do not have this tab . . . . . I'll see if I can find a photo.

The upper red circle determines whether you need the extended safety cut or not. Most don't. I think Taurus is the only manufacturer that is "out of tolerance" on both of these, needing a larger ambi cut and a recess in the top of the grip for the safety lever.

upload_2018-11-2_14-28-17.png

14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Not a very good photo, but one of my Kimber's has an ambi safety that does NOT require ambi cut grips.

This is an ambi by EGW. There is no tab on the starboard side. The starboard side of the safety is held in place by a pin. The pin replaces the hammer pin and slides into a keyhole slot on the back of the safety.

Hope this helps.

upload_2018-11-2_14-35-45.png

15. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    So........... you didn't like my pictures? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :(:(

See post #10....... or aren't they there????? :alien:

BenchMonkey likes this.
  16. BigBL87

BigBL87 New Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Sorry about the pic, shows up for me so didn't realize it wasn't showing up for everyone else.

The pic in post #13 was extremely helpful, looks like I just need the ambi cut and not the extended safety cut, as that pic is pretty much exactly what my Loaded looks like.

17. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    When I get out my Dremel tool there is nothing minor about it! :D

I have a set of Mycarta?(sp) grips that my files would barely scratch so I used the buzzsaw to sand the relief needed to cover the yardage needed for the ambi on my EDC around the property a PT1911.

TheCollector likes this.
  18. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... you could get out your @ZoidMeister grip mod. tool!
    beaver.jpg

ZoidMeister and BenchMonkey like this.
  19. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted