Next 1911, SACS Pro or WC?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by puddi_nugget, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm having a tough one here deciding on a no-nonsense 1911, as I am in the market for a .45. I know, the better route is grab a base and go the full custom route, however, I need a company to back the gun up, and I don't care for "perfection", but features I want and a gun that can be abused.

SACS Pro:
    - Arguably better craftsmanship and much more man hours into the gun
    - I love the full radius front strap and no undercut for my extra-large hands
    - 20 LPI cheese grater
    - I agree with the barrel fitting
    - Kind of a timeless look?
    - "Lesser" quality materials
    - May have to swap out some parts over the long haul to get what I want

WC:
    - "Higher" quality metals used in parts
    - I can make it look exactly the way I want with no fancy machining and vertical cocking serrations
    - I get a "smoother" gun
    - I don't know if I necessarily agree with their undercut, as I currently get "Glock" finger on my middle finger.
    - 25 LPI

Help me spend my money!

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Since Full Custom is out of the realm, personally I'd say you go with GunCrafter or Nighthawk over the two choices you have above.
    But, if those are your only two choices, I'd go with SACs Pro. My preference, and at this point I've gotten rid of all my WC pistols except my two EDC X9s and my WC Beretta. I like the way the Pro shoots more than my WCs did. So now I've got a railed in 45 and a non-railed in 9mm.

3. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Care to elaborate on why the Pro shoots better? The lock up? The ergos? I know I am not crazy when I say that the full radius no-undercut is great for folks with large hands.

I personally do not like NH. G.I. has a goofy flare, so it's down to SACS or WC. I currently have 1 WC and it runs, but the undercut is kinda "meh".

4. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    In my limited experience, Wilsons also seem a little "ju
    There is something very alluring about the Pro.

5. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Didn't say the PRO shoots better, just that I like the way it shoots better. Both are going to be lasers and far more accurate than the shooter. The one and only (well, one small other one) issue with the PRO is what you mention- lock up is tighter than Alcatraz. And, a small gripe, they don't do a VIS relief. But, that aside, I just really like how they shoot and they seem to fit me better.
    How you feel about NH is probably how I feel about WC. I got a case of the ass with them a couple of years ago when they (Bill Wilson) wouldn't allow Accu Shadows into IDPA at the last moments right before nationals, but they did allow the WC Beretta. Had something to do with 2,000 or less made which means it's not a production model, but the WC Beretta didn't meet the requirement either. But, Bill Wilson's game, Bill Wilson's rules.
    I do love me some EDC X9 though.

FullySupported and DPGI like this.
  6. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm actually OK with no VIS as long as it's fit properly, which they do from the sample's I've seen online.

So it shoots differently than the WC - remember how? I'm willing to bet it's the delayed unlock due to how the barrel is fit :D. I've got a square bottom FPS on my WC invoice with Jerry Hammond, but I can't seem to pull the trigger and placing it. I've got a hunch I'll just enjoy the Pro more...

7. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm sure the delay is a factor in it. But, as the pistol gets worn in, that will always lessen.
    Dunno, it's like the first time I shot a 2011. I just fell in love with the platform. Hard to describe why, but it was entirely due to the recoil pulse (only thing I can come up with). I just liked how it felt and I found them easier to get back on target; control felt recoil; and was plain just a better shot with them.

FullySupported likes this.
  8. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks, you've really affirmed what I thought from the get-go. It's been a while since I was in the .45 game, but I remember enjoying the hard-lockup pistols much more.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Bill Wilson = crusty old fart that wants to advance his agenda in IDPA. LOL

SACS pro all day.

duketbrd88, azpoolguy and 45ACP_ray like this.
  10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I would buy the Wilson simply because I won’t buy anything from Springfield after trying to sell us out!

boatdoc, Dwe and InstiGator like this.
  11. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Won't say you're wrong, and it's a legitimate reason.
    Same with RRA.

boatdoc and Babboonbobo like this.
  12. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014

There is that aspect too. I know the Wilson family is a huge supporter of 2A rights...

boatdoc and Babboonbobo like this.
  13. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Politics aside.... I just think Wilson Combat gives you more of what you want in a high quality 1911 ....better parts, more options, better fit & finish, better long term support - if you need it.

In my experience, its no contest...go Wilson Combat.

boatdoc likes this.
  14. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I have 3 Wilsons and just got a Pro, and I have to say for a full size 1911, I would buy the Pro. Again, as previously said, it is hard to identify the specific reason, but the Pro just feels right to me.

15. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    The Wilson’s I’ve inspected or have bought 2014-present have been looser and had less soul than those built during the 2011-13 Wilson years, when I bought several. There are more “builders” checking off the Wilson built sheets today and more CNC machining now than in those earlier years. More builders IMO means less individual accountability and more assembly-line-like tasks. I mean no offense to the Wilson fan because it’s still a great gun relative to the competition. I just prefer the Wilsons of a few years ago.

Of the two, I’d go for the Pro...ideally a barely used Pro with a sub-5000 S/N to get the build during the FBI contract (at least that’s my understanding of the contract S/N range, someone please correct this cutoff if I’m wrong). If it had to be a 2019 build, of the two choices I’d still prefer the Pro.

16. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    I own both and I would vote Pro, there is just something about it

17. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    I am very drawn to it.

For a long time, I wanted to replace a Colt I had ACW build me. I love vertical cocking serrations, and Wilson now offers it. However, I look at the Pro and I go, "yup, who cares how it looks, that thing looks like it's something that I can shoot".

I still think Wilson is cream of the crop for 9mm 1911s that run out of the box, and will continue to purchase those. I am just much more particular with .45, much less room for shooter error.

For example, it's not expensive to fit a new thumb safety, FPS, and trigger for the Pro. But even finding someone to properly fit a barrel and bushing the way SACS does is difficult.

18. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
  19. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'd order a Wilson with the options I want on it. My next choice would be a Guncrafter or maybe a Baer.

20. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    If the Pro is exactly what you want, they're badass pistols.

If you want to change anything, I'd go with a CQB optioned however you want.

Me? I like way Wilson builds a pistol. They're not super tight, and IMO the assembly line method is more conducive getting everything right.

I've had Springfield Customs and Wilsons and they have all been absolute workhorses.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted