1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the benefits of using a trust to keep NFA items in the family. I already have a family trust for my assets. Can I use this to purchase a suppressor or do I need a specific NFA trust?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,014 Posts
You guys aren't understanding his question.
The short answer is yes, you can.
The long answer is yes you can, but don't. If you place firearms or NFA items onto a trust, you open your family (or whomever you put on that trust) to a level of scrutinization that normally wouldn't be necessary. Remember, you have to be a certain age to be gifted or receive a firearm; certain states have laws in place for certain types of firearms and NFA items; and so on. As I understand it, everything on that trust becomes sort of a PITA for the members because of the firearms/NFA items.
Because of that, I would do a NFA specific, or firearms specific, trust. Lot of places out there specialize in these trusts and can walk you through it. I have a NFA trust for my NFA items, but no longer add anything to it. In order to do so I would have to get each person fingerprinted each time I want to add a new item. Or, remove everyone, get myself fingerprinted, add in the new item, and then file paperwork again to have everyone added back on.

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
263 Posts
Wait what? You have to get fingerprinted each time you add a purchase?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,014 Posts
Wait what? You have to get fingerprinted each time you add a purchase?
After 41F passed- yes. But you no longer have to get local level LEO approval. Just send them notification

Reactions: random84

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,014 Posts
The trust allowed you to circumvent the need for LEO approval. Which, in some places (like when I lived in Kalamazoo) was almost impossible to do. So, you used a trust. Plus, you don’t lose your NFA/Firearms if you are deemed incapacitated for some reason. Now, fingerprints are mandatory to add anything to a Trust OR Individual Form 1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many places scan your fingerprints and when you buy new NFA items, the shop will just send your fingerprints for you automatically. I have bought through Capitol Armory and since they have my trust and fingerprints, I can just purchase anything I want on their website and when the stamp is approved I go to their shop to pick it up.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I still use trusts - easier to add / remove trusted persons so they can use the NFA.

Basically:

Setup trust with yourself as the only Agent or Owner.

Acquire NFA toys using your info, fingerprints, etc as the Trust Agent.

Wait a really long time.

Receive NFA toys, then add persons to trust and they can legally use NFA toys without jumping through hoops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts