1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday with 288 rounds to run through my EB Kobra government and my new NHC Delegate both in .45 ACP. This was not their first time at the range and I am not a new shooter. The session was interesting and i'm not sure what to think after the session so here’s what happened specifically with the NHC:
  • Details:
    • 1st range session ran 56 rounds of Federal 230 grain including two 230 federal premium JHP hollow point HSTs. No issues. Gun was cleaned with bore snake and chamber cleaned. Did not disassemble. Lubbed in all appropriate places.
    • 2nd range session I ran 259 rounds through her and this is where i ran into all of the issues below. I ran 219 rounds of 230gr federal ammo and then switched to winchester 230 gr. (40 rounds). Issues started after 100 rounds and I also only used NHC mags.
  • Issues:
    • I ran 219 rounds through it during this session and hadthe following issues.
    • Two failure to chamber where the round didn't chamber completely.
    • Failure to feed where the slide locked back and the round sat squarely in the mag.
    • Another failure to feed at home when loading the gun with my carry ammo (testing chambering). Loaded the mag in the gun and racked the slide and it didnt chamber. Tried again except this time I locked the slide back, then loaded the mag and dropped the slide forward and it chambered sluggishly.
    • Sluggush chambering as time went on.
  • Thoughts:
    • Not sure I want to trust my life to this one at this point but also dont generally make this decision until 500 rounds and i know 1911s are finiky with ammo. I wanted this to be my spring/summer carry gun but I'm on the fence now. I prioritized this gun over getting a kobra carry (which i will still get in the future).

So NHC owners, 1911 legends, and my fellow addicts:
  1. Whats happening here?
  2. Am I missing something?
  3. Am I right to not carry it and relegate it to a range toy and get something else?
  4. Other pieces of advice/thoughts?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

· Cav Troopers Dad
2,066 Posts
I think I would disassemble clean and lube the pistol. Maybe load the magazines and let them set for a day or so or try different magazines. Then go back to the range and give it a try. If it doesn’t work properly I’d call NH and have them take a look at it. I’d also run it wet until it’s broke in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
3,769 Posts
My .02 cents
I would break it down lube it up according to my procedure with a full stainless pistol which is lubing all contact surfaces with Lucas blue extreme temp including top of dust cover where it rides with the slide , everywhere there could be a hot spot, chamber brush the pistol hand cycle some snap caps . Run 50 rounds of 230grn ball , repeat process.
If not malfunctions run 100 rounds 230grn ball and repeat process. I do this for 300 rounds on any new pistol that is full stainless to avoid any galling issues. Never had a problem with this method.
Not saying galling is happening , could be a tight chamber or recoil spring change needed . Could be extractor tension . That is where I would start .
Sorry to hear your having problems hope it gets worked out .
Pistol assumed stainless but I guess could be hard chrome so …
Pistol looks awesome by the way

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I would disassemble clean and lube the pistol. Maybe load the magazines and let them set for a day or so or try different magazines. Then go back to the range and give it a try. If it doesn’t work properly I’d call NH and have them take a look at it. I’d also run it wet until it’s broke in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. I'll give this a try and run it some more. I did lube it up for the record but hey, it may need more. Its so weird and I really dont want to send it to NH. Its literally brand new.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My .02 cents
I would break it down lube it up according to my procedure with a full stainless pistol which is lubing all contact surfaces with Lucas blue extreme temp including top of dust cover where it rides with the slide , everywhere there could be a hot spot, chamber brush the pistol hand cycle some snap caps . Run 50 rounds of 230grn ball , repeat process.
If not malfunctions run 100 rounds 230grn ball and repeat process. I do this for 300 rounds on any new pistol that is full stainless to avoid any galling issues. Never had a problem with this method.
Not saying galling is happening , could be a tight chamber or recoil spring change needed . Could be extractor tension . That is where I would start .
Thank you for this procedure. I'll grab this lube and give this procedure a try. Hope it gets better and thank you, love the gun its amazing in everyway except thisrecent buzz kill.

· Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
3,769 Posts
Thank you for this procedure. I'll grab this lube and give this procedure a try. Hope it gets better and thank you, love the gun its amazing in everyway except thisrecent buzz kill.
It is def a buzz kill I run my pistols wet when new might help 👍

· Registered
332 Posts
Well, depending on the rate of fire, a 1911 (you did shoot a large number of rounds) will lock up exactly as you described, especially if the ammo has a high temp clean burn powder. The Winchester ammo might have the "clean burn" powder and it will run pretty hot if so. If you were shooting slow with cool down periods, then my theory is incorrect, but I have experienced the scenario you described with high rate of fire in short periods with hot powders. "Winclean" powder will do exactly what you described--I like the powder for its clean burn qualities, but it will make a barrel and assembly "tighten up"..

Best of luck regardless.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, depending on the rate of fire, a 1911 (you did shoot a large number of rounds) will lock up exactly as you described, especially if the ammo has a high temp clean burn powder. The Winchester ammo might have the "clean burn" powder and it will run pretty hot if so. If you were shooting slow with cool down periods, then my theory is incorrect, but I have experienced the scenario you described with high rate of fire in short periods with hot powders. "Winclean" powder will do exactly what you described--I like the powder for its clean burn qualities, but it will make a barrel and assembly "tighten up"..

Best of luck regardless.
I wasnt aware of this! Gosh I'll need to test this now with another 250 but without clean burn powder. I learned something new; thank you!

· Registered
332 Posts
I wasnt aware of this! Gosh I'll need to test this now with another 250 but without clean burn powder. I learned something new; thank you!
It sounds exactly like I have experience a few times--they cool off fully and run again. I think your barrel and assembly got pretty hot--hope that's all! There's a reason they put water cooler on machine guns..
Good luck!

· Premium Member
1911s for GOD and Country
3,338 Posts
In my experience, stainless guns NEED to be run wet for at least 1000rds. The metal wants to stick together. Ive experienced it with Baer, Wilson, Dan Wesson, Springfield and Nighthawk. A quick fix is to have either the slide or frame coated in a different finish.

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
My .02 cents
It sounds like after your first session you didn't break down and clean the gun. I would agree it should withstand that, but just in case and to rule things out. Strip the gun down and lube it well, then see how things go. I would doubt it's one of your mags, but never doubt it'll be the last thing you would think of. It's a new gun and yours could be extra tight, and might need some breakin. Your ~300 rounds in two sessions shouldn't be an issue, but I have a Baer that will only run 3-400 rounds before problems arise. The Baer has never had a single problem EXCEPT when I run the gun heavily.

· Premium Member
926 Posts
Just 2 other quick thoughts based on sad experience ... does it pass the plop test with one of those sluggish rounds? Have you tried a heavier recoil spring? You shouldn't have to do either of these things with a new gun, but sometimes it just happens. I think the WC mag will solve the problem of the slide locking back with the last round fully seated in the mag; that sounds like a weak mag spring.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could try lubing it very well and just racking the slide 300 times or so, then trying the WC mags you talked about in another thread.
Done. Added a few more rounds to re run the tests and lubed her up good. Will report back AND the slide seems smoother to rack 🤔. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE

Overall better performance after:
- Extra lubing
-Racking slide 300 times per @Illinois Sucks prior to the range session
-500 rounds

Specifics:
- Shot 184 230 gr winchester + 2 Federal HST premium rounds
-Had two failure to feeds later in the shooting cycle ( WC 10 rd mag and EB 7 rd mag)
-Used EB, WC (10rd/8rd), and NH mags, but used the EB and WC mags primarily
-Found out that my support hand grip was not where it should be
- Worked with the lead range officer on many of these
-500 rounds have been fired throught the gun.
- Will do dome 50 rd tests going into the spring bfore I carry her

Another shooter recommended I up the spring poundage by a pound or two. Not sure if I should?

Thank you all for your wisdom and help🙏
-​

1 - 20 of 21 Posts