1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does this mean to you if you're buying to collect rather than shoot. For a rarer gun will it justify you spending more 10%, 20%, more? I know for me it is hard to decide because I like to shoot all my pistols but if I really wanted an investment gun I would probably have to have a Safe Queen sponsor I could call in a crisis.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
We bought a new 2018 Honda Pilot last summer. It had 80 miles on it when we drove it off the lot. Was it new? or used? The point is, NIB unfired gives a person some ideal of the use the gun has received.

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
Probably 70% of the 1911s in my safe were NIB buys and half of those still are. Their day to go BANG may or may not come....... I don't always buy them to shoot...... I have enough of them I do.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably 70% of the 1911s in my safe were NIB buys and half of those still are. Their day to go BANG may or may not come....... I don't always buy them to shoot...... I have enough of them I do.
I guess to me if it makes a significant monetary difference for an investment point of view I could restrain myself firing it. But those are pieces that are few and far between. Do you put a premium on this condition when you sell one of yours or do you feel it to be worth the same as 90%+ rated piece?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By your title and posts I can rightly assume you have experience buying/selling?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No safe queens in my collection.

Will I pay more for a gun that is 100% .....than one that is 90% ...Yes.

Even though I shoot everything I own...when I buy guns that are no longer in production - I will always buy the one in the best condition I can find ( like model 27 S&W revolvers ). I don't want a gun with a lot of handling marks on it ...so I have always paid up for what I want ...and was happy to shoot it & put my own handling marks on it - but not buy it that way, even for a discount.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I found those threads last night and my sides still hurt from laughing so hard at the zip tie special. That is one for the ages.

ILNB - In "Like New Box" . . . . . .

ILNB.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
I guess to me if it makes a significant monetary difference for an investment point of view I could restrain myself firing it. But those are pieces that are few and far between. Do you put a premium on this condition when you sell one of yours or do you feel it to be worth the same as 90%+ rated piece?
Actually.... I don't do this whole buying & selling of 1911s thing thinking much about monetary differences and investment points of view. I buy, sell or trade because something strikes me as something I want, not need. If I want something more than the person selling it, I buy...... or if I want something more than the one I can live without I sell or trade.
It has all become my past time hobby...... or should I say ADDICTION!!

Reactions: Whiten and DWdude

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually.... I don't do this whole buying & selling of 1911s thing thinking much about monetary differences and investment points of view. I buy, sell or trade because something strikes me as something I want, not need. If I want something more than the person selling it, I buy...... or if I want something more than the one I can live without I sell or trade.
It has all become my past time hobby...... or should I say ADDICTION!!
I have the addiction also. Its hard to buy from a seller that puts an over emphasis on this, but I guess they really don't want to sell in the first place or I guess I don't want it badly enough.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,149 Posts
All guns were designed to do one thing.
Send a projectile down it’s pipe.
If your an investor then go out and find a rare 1911 like a US government 1911 A1 Singer. Buy it and safe store it. I’ll bet it’s even been shot a bit.
Or go out and buy diamonds, gold, silver or whatever if your investing.
Guns are meant to be shot in my book.

Reactions: BigJimP
1 - 20 of 33 Posts