1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Survivor
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife suddenly decided she wanted a Henry Mares Leg in .357 mag. Ordered it on 3/18, it arrived at my FFL on 4/2. Went pick it up on 4/4. In Ohio if you have a CCW all you need do is fill out the 4473, show your CCW and you are good to go. My FFL chooses to call in to NICS everytime. I figure it's his shop so he can run it as he sees fit. Normally I'm in and out in about 15 to 20 minutes, and that includes shootin' the **** for a few minutes. Well this time they required a 5 day hold. He was surprised as I was. I'm guessing it's because they are so backed up. Anyone else run into this?

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
I’m guessing the BATF put the system in auto mode with the 5 day default due to the overload on government and most likely the lack of personnel.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My FFL chooses to call in to NICS everytime. I figure it's his shop so he can run it as he sees fit.
Your dealer is a self-righteous jerk. I'd find another place to do business, and tell him why on the way out the door.

It's your money, and you can spend it where you see fit.

·
Survivor
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, he is not required to call it in since my wife and myself have valid concealed carry permits. Guess I need to start looking at other FFL's.

I'm in Ohio, my FFL takes my CCW permit every time says its easier for us both.
Your dealer is a self-righteous jerk. I'd find another place to do business, and tell him why on the way out the door.

It's your money, and you can spend it where you see fit.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Unless you really need that gun right now, tell him to keep it, and that you are going to start shopping else where. You might not be missed by him right now, but if Trump gets elected again and the gun market slows to a crawl again, he will miss every customer.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
For awhile Illinois was taking 12-14 days as it goes through a state check before continuing to NICS. The state rifle association is suing ISP for their apathetic treatment of citizens 2A rights

·
Registered
590 Posts
I actually get calling NICS each time irrespective of CCW: anything can change a person's legal status after they've received their permit; possessing the card won't reflect that.

It's a nuisance, but it's understandable.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I’m in Ohio and around me I haven’t found an ffl yet that will accept your ccw only, so far they all have called it in.

·
Survivor
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Covering their ass, I guess.

Reactions: Songcatcher

·
Survivor
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had a call from him and I'm good to go. Picking it up this afternoon!

·
What me worry ?
11,096 Posts
As a matter of principle, I’d pay to have the weapon transferred to a ffl holder that is this store owners biggest competitor and explain
That you don’t do business with anyone that takes steps to impede
Or delay Your rights under the law .
If it takes longer to get the gun by doing this ,so be it .

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I've never understood how some states get away with just using your concealed carry permit as 4473 is a federal form . I wish my state did . I have a very common name , and get delayed (further review) about 50 % of the time . It's frustrating .

·
What me worry ?
11,096 Posts
I've never understood how some states get away with just using your concealed carry permit as 4473 is a federal form . I wish my state did . I have a very common name , and get delayed (further review) about 50 % of the time . It's frustrating .
States Rights , we fought a war around the principle. :bang:
Didn’t go well then but next time ———:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts