Night Hawk 1911 drop in Trigger

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by shottist2, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

1. shottist2

shottist2 New Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Addicts, please help! Is this Night Hawk drop in Trigger system the way to go? I have a LW Commander that I wish to make MIMS parts free. I personally am inclined to go the traditional route and replace the ignition parts with all tool steel components but my problem is that here in central Florida I know of no competent "smith" to properly install them. There is no price advantage to either one and I can't find any reviews on the Night Hawks longevity or long term performance. Please help if you can. Is this Trigger the way to go?

2. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I think if you look in the gunsmith sub forum there are 2 threads on the NH trigger.

If I remember correctly folks weren’t super thrilled with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Cylinder and slide are drop in parts. I've got them im both 1911s

Welder49 likes this.
  4. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    You can always send the gun off to someone.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Its not a bad part, a lot of thought, effort and design went in to it, but what you are basically getting is a drop in 3.75-4# Trigger pull weight. There is a ton more that goes into a quality gunsmith trigger job, stoning the track, adjusting the bow for mag clearance and pre-travel, polishing the bow and small parts that interact, Proper manipulation of the sear spring for weight and safe operation etc...

This drop in kit hasn't been around long enough to really be time or field tested, to say how long it will last, but I promise you they use quality parts. However, when you really get down to brass tacks, what your buying for near $400 is a sear and dis-connector wrapped in a piece of metal with a hammer, and single leaf spring to work the grip safety..

I will say this however, it does exactly what it was designed to do, it fills a microwave fix for a guy who like you cannot locate a smith, or a guy who wants it now lol, It will give you a trigger pull that is crisp with a clean break. But, keep in mind that what you get , you may or may not need to dress or change the thumb safety..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Scaramouche and Rick McC. like this.
  6. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011

Hammer hooks? It comes with it's own hammer, or did you mean something else?

Integrity Arms likes this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No to be honest I had forgotten it come with the hammer attached. Someone sent it to me to try and I only had it here for a day. My bad..Fixed it.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  8. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    That's what I thought...lol

You just have to mess with the thumb safety if it doesn't work, correct?

Integrity Arms likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Yeah, and I think that the situation I was in with the gun I tried it in a little had to come off the TS. But, I could see where it could possibly go the other way, and a new thumb safety might be needed. I am sure that They went to great lengths to ensure that doesn't happen but, I am sure it might be possible at some point. I know with John Harrisons ignition kits, they are made in such a way that more often than not just a little bit needs removed from the TS as well. But, I have had times where the TS needed replacing.

I see so many guns and so many parts, that sometimes things do tend to run together, don't know where my head was at on that drop in kit, I should of reminded myself by looking it up lol ;)

Scaramouche, simonp and duketbrd88 like this.
  10. Welder49

Welder49 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2020
    Yep. I have their blued and polished Tactical 2 sets in both of my guns and they have an average trigger pull of 3.8 to 3.10 pounds.

11. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I’ve had very good results using John Harrison’s ignition sets, both with and without the true radius sear. In each instance; refitting of the original thumb safety was required. That’s not a negative, just a reality I’ve seen more often than not when changing either a sear or hammer.

I personally don’t care for the look of the “extra slim” hammer, made necessary by having to fit within the Nighthawk drop-in set’s housing.

12. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I bought one of their first units and passed it around to some Addicts for their opinion. (see above posts)
    It is installed in a unit I built for Mrs. C. and it works without issues.
    I too found it unsightly with the narrow hammer. I did give feedback to NH and designer that I wouldn't buy another set because of that feature. I suggested that they use a full width hammer and step cut it to fit within the unit. I'm sure that the added machine process would cut their profit or increase the cost.

Rick McC. likes this.
  13. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    That’s a good solution, and they’d be wise to follow it.

14. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    Hard to beat a Harrison Design ignition set.

El Perdido and Rick McC. like this.
  15. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    That’s my estimation as well; for regular guys like me. Now for the for real smiths we have on here; they could probably make do just fine with most any ol’ thing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted