1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that many handguns are now sold with night sights as an “upgrade” option, however in my opinion, night sights are fundamentally useless.

The reason for my thinking is that glow-in-the-dark tritium vials are great at showing where the sights are, and that’s about it. If it’s too dark for me to see my front sight literally an arms length from my face, then it’s too dark to see a target. And if my target is illuminated, then my front sight is a clear black silhouette.

Change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
That's a Hackathorn class in my avatar. I took the pic, and Ken and LAV were just off camera. We had a low light segment that night. One of the lessons was to shine our handheld on a silhouette at 7 yards, turn off the light, and make head shots at 7 yards in all but total darkness. I made 10 out 10 head shots, no night sights. Who knew I could do that? I didn't.

My take away from that, and other lessons.
Carry a gun you are very familiar with. You know where it points even when you can't see where it points.

If I need night sights to see the sights, I probably can't see the target well enough to identify the target.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Sounds like your mind is made up. I've shot plenty of courses at night with a flashlight in my off hand. Night sights help. You don't like them, no hard feelings.
I've shot three night matches with a handheld. I can only see the shadow of the sights against the illuminated target.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Didn't say I didn't like them, just said I couldn't see them in a night match.
That's a valid experience, and I have no dog in the hunt. I like them. Worked for years without them, got them when we transitioned to HK USP45s and I felt like they helped. I agree that a good light is more important than what kind of sights you have :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Uh, I don’t have an opinion. I have 2 guns with and and a couple without. I guess if they help me find the gun from a dead sleep, then they help. But it isn’t a deal breaker if a gun I’m interested in doesn’t have them. So, I guess, I’m not going to change any bodies mind. But mine is open to common sense arguments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
And that first muzzle flash can change things a lot if you plan follow up shots. We ran a bunch of differrent defense ammo in the dark to see which had the best and worst muzzle flash. I had never paid a lot of attention to that before.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,004 Posts
Agree 110% only good of night sights is on a bed stand gun.. Then it should be truglos, meprolight or something with some actual glow to them.. Trijicons are about the most expensive night sights and the most useless and hardest to see. While True glows are made the best imo, at least you can see them.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts