Nighthawk/Colt Commander Punch Li$t

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by azguy1911, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Dryheat

Dryheat Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2019
    So do the spiral flutes increase velocity?

Seriously I’ve always wondered what any fluting does on a 1911 barrel.

It definitely looks cool (which is enough for me), but is there a functional aspect to it too?

I suppose “some” weight savings and perhaps thermal dynamics play a small role... and Larry Vickers says it provides a place for debris to go...

Regardless, you have spec’d out what will be a truly superb Colt (pun intended).

Looking forward to seeing it!

PS hope your feeling better and no Covid-19...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp likes this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I took another round of antibiotics and some steroids the doctor :pompus: prescribe and feel much better. Sadly, I'm back in Vegas the end of the week and God knows what's floating around there.

Thanks for asking :grin:

I was once told fluting is another surface area to both aid in cooling of the barrel and to hold oil. Who knows ;)

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    "it provides a place for debris to go"
    ^^^^
    This.

Cbzr1107 and simonp like this.
  4. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Should be amazing! Prices are great too from a name as such! Can’t wait to see it!

5. Dryheat

Dryheat Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2019
    I hear ya... what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas... godspeed!

6. Mudflap621

Mudflap621 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Is it done yet? I can’t wait to see this thing. I’m trying to find an older LW 9mm to play with myself.

7. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    May I suggest you have it sent to my house, after completion?

1911 crazed and JD31 like this.
  8. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    Update, I wish I had one (or I should say I wish I had the gun). Nighthawk has had the Colt since the 1st week in March and after a 12-16 week quote we are getting near 20 weeks. Bob at NH has been great. I started emailing once in month in May and he always gets back to me in 24 hrs.

The last update was 10 days ago and the gun has been built, fitted and test fired and was being disassembled to be sent to the finisher. I assume once it comes back it'll be pretty quick after that, at least I'm hoping.

This will be a very cool build, as I had much more done that an average Colt/Hawk restoration/update including milling the frame to accommodate a ramped barrel, a lower and flared ejection port, Wilson Combat white gold front site and the smoked nitride finish should just give it that old school feel and look.

Anyway, more waiting, lies ahead :cry:

9. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    NHs, ACWs & a couple GSs...
    and now we wait
    waiting.gif .

10. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Can't wait to see this puppy. Hope it comes soon

1911 crazed likes this.
  11. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    Update

I spoke with Bob at NH in mid July (post #28 update above) and he said the gun was complete and ready to be sent to the re-finisher and it should be another "month or so". I was excited at that point.

Well, I followed up this past week, after not hearing anything for more than 2 months, and the gun is still at NH as the re-finisher isn't accepting any work until they get caught up.

Bob was rather apologetic and was hoping they would get the "ok" to send their sub-contractor more guns "soon". That was the best he could offer since it's out of their control. Next week will be 7 months and if that above update was correct the gun has been awaiting the smoked nitride for nearly 2 months. At the time the gun was delivered to NH on March 5th, they quoted 12-16 weeks

I'm disappointed but in this new-normal pandemic world who knows where the blockage is.

My guess it'll be damn near 9 months when I get it as I figure (or should I say hope) it'll be 6-8 more weeks.

12. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    In the past we'd say "been there, done that"
    Now we say "I'm there, doin that"

1L26 likes this.
  13. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I talked to Joe Lehr at NH several days ago about a build I am considering and was told the build time is now 7 to 8 months. Mostly because of high demand. I assume refinishing is part of that.

simonp likes this.
  14. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Just seeing this thread now, awesome build idea! I would have them refit the slide and frame while it waits for the smoked. That was probably the best $ I spent when I had them do my Wiley Clapp although some people don’t mind the rattle as much as I do

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted