Nighthawk Colt Wiley Clapp "Wiley Hawk"

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by MSGT2511, May 6, 2019.

1. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    Knowing I was heading to Nighthawk for the Gathering, I decided I needed to pick up something for some Travis Gregory "love". I think all Addicts should have at least one Colt, and since I was lacking in that department, I found a nice used Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander as my base.

I requested Nighthawk do the following: Modest dehorn of the frame and slide; full trigger job with all Nighthawk parts; flatten slide stop and bevel frame; tune and polish extractor; replace GI plug with Marvel recoil system; fit Nighthawk bushing; add standard grip bushings; Nighthawk Tactical mag catch; polish feed ramp; then bead-blast entire pistol.

The Wiley already had a Wilson BP thumb safety and slide stop, and a tool steel extractor when I received her, and I added the blue/black Colt logo grips.

It turned out fantastic, and lightning fast! This is at least my 5th project gun redone at Nighthawk, and I can't speak highly enough about Travis' work and Bob Reeves' input....in a word, fantastic!

Here are a couple of before and after photos:

View attachment 261913 Colt WC 4.jpg Colt WC 2.jpg Colt WC.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Fred_G, FWoo45, gun_fan111 and 21 others like this.
  2. MSGT2511

May 14, 2016
    By the way, I shot it while I was at the Gathering, and it functioned flawlessly, and shot well. This Wiley-Hawk will definitely be in my carry rotation!

FWoo45, Dwe and Stogies like this.

3. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    The crew at NHC are the best

4. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    +100 bonus points for blue/black VZs

Very nice!

MSGT2511 likes this.
  5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Ah, the bead-blast - I really like how that came out. Great 1911 there!

MSGT2511 likes this.
  6. MSGT2511

May 14, 2016
    Yes, I tend always to bead-blast any gun with polished slides an/or frames. They are like a black car (which I own), they look great new, shiny, and clean, but show every scratch! For me, the bead-blast is the bomb, and NHC does a fantastic job!

WhoIsJohnGalt?, JD31 and Stogies like this.
  7. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    That looks nice. I sent an email to Bob about a Baer UTC that needs a makeover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MSGT2511 likes this.
  8. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    That turned out really nice. A stainless WC does make a great base gun.

MSGT2511 likes this.
  9. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Very nice! The Clapp is already among the best of what Colt currently has to offer, and Nighthawk has taken yours to 11.

I also have a gut & rebuild Clapp-Hawk that shoots fantastically and looks even better. They consistently turn out fantastic custom work on other manufacturer's guns at a speedy clip. I have three Colts now that they have done their magic on, and all are incredible. At the intersection of quality, money, and time, I can't think of anyone better. Congrats on your new(ish) piece!

BgBdBob, MSGT2511, JD31 and 2 others like this.
  10. MSGT2511

May 14, 2016
    Well said! And....thanks!

11. cghelton

cghelton Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Beautiful!

MSGT2511 likes this.