Nighthawk Counselor first outing

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by rblondon, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    None of my beeswax, but I'd love to know what NH charged for the sight swap and the turn aroundm - sent the slide only I'm guessing??

2. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    You can send in just the slide, turn around was 3 weeks as I had a few other things done, give Bob a call at Nighthawk and he can give you more details

3. 19eleven

19eleven SMG Addict

Feb 11, 2020
    I thought about sending my Counselor in for a blacked out rear and gold front bead. If I recall, the quote was $330ish installed.

If I end up keeping it, I probably will, but I’m seriously thinking of selling it. Sweet, sweet setup but I prefer my .45 NHCs.

4. DefensiveShootingConcepts

DefensiveShootingConcepts Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Hello new guy here from Indiana. I just wanted to say I found this conversation while trying to learn more about the NH Counselor. I am in serious trouble because I am so gonna buy this gun. Not sure how or when but I am hooked. I wish I did not have the taste for things I can’t afford but we all need something to work for. It is clear I will most likely not find one used anytime soon but hear is to wishful thinking. Have enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts and experiences and am looking forward to more.

5. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I understand, last year at NHC I held one then later in December I held one again. Now I have one and just need to shoot it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. DefensiveShootingConcepts

Jul 6, 2020
    I have owned a Wilson or two over the years but never a Nighthawk. I got a good deal on a Stainless T3 the other day and used up my hidden money to buy it! That led to my (OCD ) wanting to learn more about Nighthawk which led to finding out about the Counselor and now this. It is just crazy how fast we can need the next one! I hope the Counselor is the next one for sure!

Attached Files:

simonp, dgoins816 and Eric like this.
  7. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Great blaster and really nice write up for sure! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DefensiveShootingConcepts

Jul 6, 2020
    Yes forgive me! This review has been great and informative please keep it coming.

isialk likes this.
  9. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Nighthawk Counselor closing photos

I know longer know the round count, that’s one of those things I think little of after the first few hundred, actually. I can tell you it’s pushing 4,000 rounds based on primer consumption. That’s a fair amount of shooting, no few presentations from the holster, and certainly the same number of re-holsters. More shooting and more handling wear than most guns see in a lifetime.

I thought some of you might like a couple of photos showing what little surface wear the gun is exhibiting. The expected hotspots up around the muzzle and a tiny wear spot just below where the trigger guard mates to the frame on the left side. That spot if obviously coming from holster drag - I’d bet on an kydex holster I’ve had for about 5-6 weeks now.

The gun is spending time in two holsters: A Warbird Leather IWB, and an Eclipse Holsters kydex IWB. It has had break-in time around the house in a Tucker HF2 leather holster, but has not been out in the world in that rig. The Warbird came from another Addict, no hesitation in recommending that maker. The holster rides well, secures the gun and is well made. As an added bonus, it takes the Counselor, along with a Wilson Combat 4 inch equally well.

Fitment in all three holsters is fine, though the raised forward cocking serration take a toll on leather - they seem to make ever leather holster slightly more grabby. The Tucker HF2 I hope to make a primary winter holster with its open bottom allowing various barrel lengths. The stitching on that rig is fabulous and it rides at a good height. Unfortunately, the Nighthawk hates that holster. The draw stroke always feels like there’s some drag - those raised serration? Every other 1911 in the house clears that holster without impediment. I’m at a loss to explain the Counselor’s drag, but it’s there, it’s constant and it’s annoying.

The gun has run with every single Officer’s size mag I’ve tried: Nighthawk, STI, Ed Brown, Wilson, Kimber (surprise) and Colt. But be aware - try a speed reload using a magazine without a base plate and you will suffer palm bit at some point. You might get away with it for a few times, or a bunch, but there’s a blood blister in your future. Anything from a 1/8 Wilson Combat base plate (thinnest I’ve found) on up in thickness will eliminate the problem. I carry a bare bottom mag, seated carefully, chambered and left with 7 in the mag. I’ve never topped off. Not going to start now. But my spares have whatever base plate i’ve found cheap that fits.

The Counselor needs a different front sight - the Heinie Straight Eights are good sights. They don’t suit me - period. I’m thinking a high visibility orange/night combo or something on the front. Anyone who has changed the sights on a Nighthawk of late can chime in - true Novak cuts or not?

Thanks for reading. If I can ever answer a specific question, just ask. I will do some side by side comparisons, with some on a timer, in the Wilson EDC-S review I’ve opened. The two guns compete, it’s plain to see. One gives two extra rounds with the advantage of 15-round reloads. The other gives you that true single stack hideaway.

Attached Files:

10. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I'll send mine in for the IOS cut,plate soon. I am amazed how much I like shooting the Counselor....Something to keep in mind for a factory order for those that lust.

isialk and Eric like this.
  11. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Can one get the plate with just the slide or do they need the frame too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. skids929

skids929 Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Thanks rblondon, great review..With the lack of reviews and media attention to this pistols yours was super informative.

To answer your question they need to the whole pistol to do the cut for the IOS set up. I confirmed this on an IG post with them directly. In the market and I found a Couselor with the battle worn finish on the shelf I may pick up to compliment my x9 (like you). Would love to hear how the two guns work for you. Love my x9, one of the best guns I have ever shot so curious to know on the Counselor before I drop the money on it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    1911 crazed likes this.
  13. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    The Counselor size won me over - same overall grip as the traditional officer's model frame, with a magwell. I've had a couple of people ask for photos of that area and the blending, will try to do them in the next few days.

14. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    for those interested parties, the Counselor went to a new home after a local addict and I talked. I brought home a Wilson Carry Comp in 9mm AND a Hi-Power by FN, unfired which included an unfit Barsto 9mm barrel. Yes some money went along with the Counselor, but in our hobby, a minimum amount. For the Hi-Power, Gun and barrel are already in a local builder's hands. While I hated parting with the Counselor and consider it one of the best 1911s I've shot in a long time, I opted to keep the Wilson EDC-S I picked up six weeks back.

Comparing the two, there was no performance difference and I'm one of those people who can get three fingers on the -S. Anyone out there should get a full hand grip on the Counselor, not so the EDC-S. The Counselor won repeatedly in on-the-clock reloads - it's got a real magwell. Knock a 1/2 second off your reload time, if not more and see if anything in your safe can beat it in the carry gun department.

I likely have visitation rights, it just moved a few miles down the road.

hpguru, simonp and Fred_G like this.
  15. PI Lawyer

PI Lawyer Active Member

Feb 19, 2020
    The Carry Comp is hard to beat. Mine has a lightweight frame and chambered in .45. Shoots like a 9mm. I carry that in the winter. I’ve switched my summer carry to a Cylinder & Slide built alloy-framed Hi Power with shortened slide and barrel. Sounds like we have the same tastes.

rblondon likes this.
  16. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    I've owned Wilson, Brown, Baer, Nighthawk, Clark 1911 pistols. I've lusted over C&S stuff for years - no cosmetics. No special finishes. Just what appear to be good, solid well designed guns. Always wanted an Adventurer - I think the Colt Defender of today is a derivative of those C&S guns. I came by one last month from a pal - it' yet to stutter, though tosses the odd case into my cap brim. But C&S is never seen in my region, at all. So, alas, I've never acquired one. Their cut down Hi-Power is intriguing - I'm going to turn the 40 cal Hi-Power I came by in this trade into a 9mm. As for the Carry Comp - it's a 9, it's steel - but heavens does it shoot. The Addict I trad with shares many tastes, nothing flashy (though he has flashy guns) just good, well setup carry pieces. Rarely do either of us change much on an acquisition from one another. Its an FN that shipped with the SFS hammer system, a first exposure to me. Two range trips, lots of dry fire - I don't hate it, and it is, after-all, a Hi-power ----- enough said?

PI Lawyer likes this.
  17. PI Lawyer

PI Lawyer Active Member

Feb 19, 2020

Attached Files:

hpguru, usmc_k9_vet and rblondon like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted