1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Nighthawk Custom Lead Times - How I got my Nighthawk Sandhawk without waiting.

1699 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Dwvalor
So I called and ordered a custom holster from Nighthawk. The representative was very helpful and I asked about lead times on custom builds. He quoted me 18-20 months! I decided to go ahead and place an order and get in line. They didn't even require a deposit. A couple months later I got a call letting me know my holster was ready to ship. I called my rep, paid, and asked if the lead times had changed at all. Of course the answer was a polite, No. Then he told me he just shipped a gun close to the one I ordered to a dealer in AZ. He gave me their information and I called and made deal. Had my NHC Sandhawk a week later. So have an excuse to contact a NHC rep. Chat them up and see if you can get a referral. Of course, you can always contact a local stocking dealer as well. If they have orders in the queue, they can help you cut your lead time. Talking with my NHC rep and the dealer I bought from, it seems like majority of orders that are backing up the queue to 18-20 months are dealer orders. Makes it tough for the rest of us.

Maybe many of you already know this, but I thought I'd share because the process was new to me.

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory
See less See more
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I did the same thing w/ the VIP Black 1911, they found a dealer for me in a couple of days and I had the gun a week later. The bad part is that much of the time they want to charge full MSRP.

They offered me a great discount, but they were a little dishonest. I ordered the gun from a dealer in NC and I live in PA so there should not be any sales tax. They gave me some song and dance about the tax (untrue) but in the end the deal was still worthwhile so I bought the gun and avoided a two year build time. Oh well...
Reactions: 1
I did the same thing w/ the VIP Black 1911, they found a dealer for me in a couple of days and I had the gun a week later. The bad part is that much of the time they want to charge full MSRP.

They offered me a great discount, but they were a little dishonest. I ordered the gun from a dealer in NC and I live in PA so there should not be any sales tax. They gave me some song and dance about the tax (untrue) but in the end the deal was still worthwhile so I bought the gun and avoided a two year build time. Oh well...
Couple questions sir. Just curious what exactly exempts you from sales tax in Penn? And who was dishonest?
Couple questions sir. Just curious what exactly exempts you from sales tax in Penn? And who was dishonest?
You never know, living in Wyoming there's sales tax but none in Montana, however although an appliance is bought and paid for in a MT store, if it is delivered by the store's company truck down in Wy the MT store has to charge Wy sales tax. Been there, done that. :)
I know nobody is perfect all the time but I like the Nighthawk guys, meeting them at Shot Show this year they were the friendliest bunch of the entire Shot Show conference, I talked with Mark Stone for an hour and I'm a nobody
Reactions: 5
Theres a local FFL to me that gets Nighthawks in stock, then immediately puts them on gunbroker. Directs local customers to the GB ad if they want to buy. Sandhawks going for almost ten grand lol.
Whatever floats your boat, but that seems pretty greasy to me and I havent been back there. Luckily they are far from being the only option.
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I did the same recently while searching for a LW Commander in 45 and the NH rep said that he could guide me to multiple government size Kestrels in stock at dealers but that there were zero LW Commanders in 45 made any time recently and none were in the queue.
When God first created the Internet no one was charging sales tax if the buyer and seller were in different states, even Amazon and GunBroker didn't charge sales tax. Then things started to change and most companies started charging sales tax, even Amazon and GB. There are still a lot of companies that still don't charge sales tax if the buyer and seller are in different states.

I bought my Nighthawk VIP from a shop in Charlotte NC, and by all rights they should not have charged me sales tax. After we negotiated a price, the salesperson said, "we sell so many guns in PA that we have to charge sales tax", which was pure BS. It doesn't matter how much you sell in PA, a NC company isn't regulated by the volume they sell. They were offering me 14.4% discount on a $8,999 Hawk, so the additional 6% sales tax still brought the gun in at under what other dealers were offering me. I found the same gun in NY but they were only offering me a $500 discount and no sales tax. So if you do the math, the shop in Charlotte was giving me a great deal.

BTW, they "forgot" to give me the wood display case at first, and when I received the gun, no case. So I contacted them and they said, "Oh yeah, we'll contact NHC and get you a case", which cost them $400. I would rather not give out the name of the dealer in Charlotte, but I doubt there's that many NHC dealers there so you can probably figure it out if you live in Charlotte.

Hope that answers your question... But in the end I was happy w/ the gun, the price, and the overall experience even though the tax cost be $540.
See less See more
I know nobody is perfect all the time but I like the Nighthawk guys, meeting them at Shot Show this year they were the friendliest bunch of the entire Shot Show conference, I talked with Mark Stone for an hour and I'm a nobody
I've bought a lot of Hawks directly from Nighthawk and I agree w/ your assessment. They've been very, very nice to me. I've also had custom work done by Bob Reeves and his team, always a positive experience, very nice people. He does his best to deliver on his word, and has always comes through.
Reactions: 2
I bought my Nighthawk VIP from a shop in Charlotte NC, and by all rights they should not have charged me sales tax. After we negotiated a price, the salesperson said, "we sell so many guns in PA that we have to charge sales tax", which was pure BS. It doesn't matter how much you sell in PA, a NC company isn't regulated by the volume they sell.
There’s a federal thing that a company has to abide by if they want to participate in interstate commerce. Basically there is a formula and until you reach some threshold of sales to an individual state you don’t have to facilitate state sales tax. After crossing that threshold you always have to collect and facilitate that state’s sales tax.
Reactions: 3
So I called and ordered a custom holster from Nighthawk. The representative was very helpful and I asked about lead times on custom builds. He quoted me 18-20 months! I decided to go ahead and place an order and get in line. They didn't even require a deposit. A couple months later I got a call letting me know my holster was ready to ship. I called my rep, paid, and asked if the lead times had changed at all. Of course the answer was a polite, No. Then he told me he just shipped a gun close to the one I ordered to a dealer in AZ. He gave me their information and I called and made deal. Had my NHC Sandhawk a week later. So have an excuse to contact a NHC rep. Chat them up and see if you can get a referral. Of course, you can always contact a local stocking dealer as well. If they have orders in the queue, they can help you cut your lead time. Talking with my NHC rep and the dealer I bought from, it seems like majority of orders that are backing up the queue to 18-20 months are dealer orders. Makes it tough for the rest of us.

Maybe many of you already know this, but I thought I'd share because the process was new to me.

View attachment 1219674
Glad it worked out for you!
I can’t say I’ve had the same outcome—on 2 different occasions, over a one-year time period, I called a NH sales representative to inquire on the availability of a TRS Comp with one of their dealers. On both occasions I was told that he would conduct a search and get back with me. I never heard anything back on both occasions. The first time it happened I gave them the benefit of the doubt (knowing they are very busy—hence the long wait times). But when it happened a 2nd time I moved on and invested my money with a company with better customer service (Atlas Gunworks).
There’s a federal thing that a company has to abide by if they want to participate in interstate commerce. Basically there is a formula and until you reach some threshold of sales to an individual state you don’t have to facilitate state sales tax. After crossing that threshold you always have to collect and facilitate that state’s sales tax.
Thx for the info, never too late to learn.

View attachment 1219674
that pistol makes me want to go into debt… yowza
When God first created the Internet no one was charging sales tax if the buyer and seller were in different states, even Amazon and GunBroker didn't charge sales tax. Then things started to change and most companies started charging sales tax, even Amazon and GB. There are still a lot of companies that still don't charge sales tax if the buyer and seller are in different states.

I bought my Nighthawk VIP from a shop in Charlotte NC, and by all rights they should not have charged me sales tax. After we negotiated a price, the salesperson said, "we sell so many guns in PA that we have to charge sales tax", which was pure BS. It doesn't matter how much you sell in PA, a NC company isn't regulated by the volume they sell. They were offering me 14.4% discount on a $8,999 Hawk, so the additional 6% sales tax still brought the gun in at under what other dealers were offering me. I found the same gun in NY but they were only offering me a $500 discount and no sales tax. So if you do the math, the shop in Charlotte was giving me a great deal.

BTW, they "forgot" to give me the wood display case at first, and when I received the gun, no case. So I contacted them and they said, "Oh yeah, we'll contact NHC and get you a case", which cost them $400. I would rather not give out the name of the dealer in Charlotte, but I doubt there's that many NHC dealers there so you can probably figure it out if you live in Charlotte.

Hope that answers your question... But in the end I was happy w/ the gun, the price, and the overall experience even though the tax cost be $540.
Unless I'm badly mistaken, it was Senator Michael Enzi from my state here in Wyoming who is responsible for nation wide taxes to be charged for out of state purchases on all internet sales. His bill passed 5-6 years ago. After his bill passed, companies and business had no choice but to tax. He also wanted to bring back a silver dollar coin. When the moron ran for reelection, it the first time in my life I made sure to vote for which ever Democrat ran against him.
So I paid MSRP for the Sandhawk and they didn't charge me sales tax. They tried to charge me over MSRP, but I talked them down. I know for a fact that they are making plenty at MSRP. And as someone else mentioned dealers are price gouging particular NHC models.
So I paid MSRP for the Sandhawk and they didn't charge me sales tax. They tried to charge me over MSRP, but I talked them down. I know for a fact that they are making plenty at MSRP. And as someone else mentioned dealers are price gouging particular NHC models.
who was the dealer you got this from? I’m also in AZ and on the hunt for a sand hawk. Celt arms offers a pre order so I may go that route if I’m out of luck

This is exactly why I buy all my semi customs out of state unless they are used and a screaming deal or something - F sales tax it is a ton of money for nothing . Glad you got a good deal and didnt have to wait .
I have a couple great dealers I work with and just the tax alone is usually worth it that I save .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts