Nighthawk Double Stack - 2000 round review

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by usmc_k9_vet, Dec 6, 2018.

1. usmc_k9_vet

usmc_k9_vet Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    I got a really good deal on this a few months back and am now beginning to use it in USPSA limited division. One of the FFLs on our forum posted that he would be selling the gun on Gunbroker, so I placed a bid fully intending for it to get passed right up. Well, it didn’t and I ended up with this beauty for something like $2800. It now has over 2000 rounds through it and I can’t think of any malfunctions that weren’t magazine-related. Speaking of magazines, it shipped with 2 17 rounders and 2 21 rounders (STI mags). These mags can be a bit finnicky, but since I’ve got some rounds through them they have run very well (almost to the point of being flawless now).

The Nighthawk has a DLC slide which is really cool. It looks awesome and so far has held up incredibly well to a ton of draws out of a kydex holster. In fact, the slide doesn’t show any wear that I can tell at all. Nighthawk is utilizing Phoenix Trinity frames, which feel great. Yes, they are a bit blocky, but I think that’s unavoidable when you get into these double stack 2011-style guns. The trigger on this gun is also outstanding. I would expect nothing less from NH. The two changes I might make are changing the front sight to a red fiber optic and adding an ambi safety. Time will tell if I end up sending the gun in to have those two options added.

Sunday will be it’s first USPSA match. I’ve shot one steel challenge match with it, which was a lot of fun. The gun is extremely soft-recoiling; what you might expect from a heavy 9mm, but this one is also extremely smooth. I could see this double stack thing getting expensive..

Anything that looks like a mark on the slide in the following pics is either a smudge, glare, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I'd love to own one. Thanks for the review.

nnylf7 likes this.

3. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    That’s awesome!

Dwe and nnylf7 like this.
  4. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Thank you. I feel very fortunate to have been able to pick this one up. Nighthawk is putting out some great guns right now.

5. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Thank you. This one is a lot of fun to shoot.

Dwe likes this.
  6. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    ^^^^What He said! x2^^^^

nnylf7 likes this.
  7. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    ^^^^What He said! x2^^^^

nnylf7 likes this.
  8. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    I see what ya did there. Haha! Thank you.

Dwe likes this.
  9. Justin_Pelletier

Justin_Pelletier Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 27, 2016
    That’s sweet looking. But living in mass can’t have anything cool. 10 round mag limited unless the mags are preban witch I have for my 38 super infinity.

Would love to add one to the collection. But Sadly I’ll be downsizing.

Looks great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nnylf7 likes this.
  10. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Thank you. It is a great gun! I am sorry that you are not able to enjoy something similar in your state.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted