Nighthawk gunsmiths

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by Flight Medic, Sep 25, 2020.

1. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    You must remember that not everyone is cut out to be a business owner. Answering in emails, meetings, etc etc isn't for everybody. When a general building contractor, I longed for the days of "punching out", having a beer with the boys and going home.

I hired and worked with some amazing craftsmen, talented builders beyond belief, that never "hung their own shingle out". Never did I consider them second rate, or less talented than me.

So this is my answer to the question of why a talented 'smith would choose to work for WC, NHC, etc rather than open their own shop. I wouldn't consider them second rate

Also ,whether a semi-custom shop or a full-custom owner / operator, everybody has a first project, everybody. While I don't currently own any semi-custom 1911s, I have; and I trust the big name shops , with proven track records, to have great QC, if needed.

boatdoc, Stogies, henryt and 2 others like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    NH doesn’t want any to come back, shipping both ways, smith diagnostic time, refinishing if necessary l, all costs significant money. Better to take the time to insure it is right, the first time.

Cop_Out, Stogies and switchback like this.

3. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Fact is, the Wilson or Brown you buy today is probably an overall superior pistol than what Bill or Ed were building with their own hands forty years ago.

Doesn't seem to follow that the founder must be the builder so the name can match on the pistol if the build is nonetheless top-quality, whoever the gunsmith was. What do you do about Colt? ;)

simonp likes this.
  4. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I have four NC's from four different builders.They are craftsman of the highest quality daily drivers at my shopping level.Their customer service commitment is second to none.

boatdoc, Stogies and Bender like this.
  5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    "Fact is"? Is this just supposition on your part, or do have demonstrable proof of this?

Just curious.

6. bdg501

bdg501 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2014
    20200924_154530.jpg

I had no clue Keith use to build guns for Springfield custom. I own a thunder ranch built by him and it is without a doubt one of the finest built 1911s I have owned. It's also very ironic that he worked in the SACS...as I come from a LONG line of Springfield custom pistols.

SACS guns actually got me into the semi 1911 game.

I also had a nighthawk that I recently traded that was built by Joey....and he absolutely builds a top shelf gun.

With that being said...I would take the build of keith over that of joeys...not to say joey dint build a hell of a gun. 20200924_154448.jpg 20200924_192950.jpg 20200924_154445.jpg 20200811_081559.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I currently have 7 NHs & 3 more on their books. (+ a couple that were sold to other Addicts here) I have guns made by 3 different smiths. I've requested follow on guns to be built by a couple of them and some with no special requests. The only NH I had to return for appearance issues was one that I had requested the smith. No names mentioned as the point is, all the smiths will make a mistake at some point. Its how that mistake is dealt with that matters.
    NH has always handled my concerns without issue. That's probably why I keep giving them my money.

boatdoc, SVG, Cop_Out and 3 others like this.
  8. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’m sure it’s “supposition”, but it’s been posted multiple times by the guy who’s moniker was “WilsonCombatRep” over on TOOS that today’s WC pistols are better than any they’ve built before just because the quality of parts and materials is better. I’m probably not quoting him exactly, but they have a search function on that forum for you to look it up.

simonp, blamo, wrmiller and 1 other person like this.
  9. Au Jus in Bello

May 19, 2017
    You going to fuss over a colloquial idiom, or respond to the point?

blamo likes this.
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    What point? You just said 'they're better'. You didn't give specifics about fitment, quality of parts, or functionality, so I'm unsure of your point. Unless you are referring to your opinion that they are better?

OP: Sorry for the derail, I'm done.

11. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    The ones I have seen, both old and new,
    are REALLY nice!

12. Au Jus in Bello

May 19, 2017
    The point is you said this:

It's an odd sentiment because the companies they built, and the pistols those companies produce, reflect a variety of factors relating to reliability, accuracy, durability and features not readily available in 1911s at the time that Bill, Ed and many others were up-and-coming.

They among others had to develop ways to improve the 1911 based on ingenuity and what was available; the companies grew from that endeavor, in part so consumers could get an all-around better product than what Bill or Ed had to cobble from production Colts and parts they fabricated.

Pretty sure Bill and Ed would agree.

Genes 1911 and wrmiller like this.
  13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Wouldn’t take a Wilson or Brown over Nighthawk.

Wilson can’t align ball cuts and a Brown had to go back three times for a slide stop notch peening.

Four Nighthawks, all perfect and reliable

pcar157 and AGENT P like this.
  14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    If I was purchasing a Nighthawk I would not be concerned one bit with which smith there built it.

rockittsled and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I really wouldn’t either, but after meeting most of them, they are all extremely talented.

Old Sea Dragon and azpoolguy like this.
  16. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I own one Nighthawk and am admittedly a long way from an expert, but I can tell you this without hesitation, I like it a lot.

Old Sea Dragon and azpoolguy like this.
  17. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Do you h
    Do you have a model in mind?

18. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Do you have a model in mind?

19. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    I just placed an order yesterday for a DS gun. Requested Joey. If I go for second one, I’ll definitely request Keith.

And if I go for a third, Bryan Chaney.

Haven’t decided on my fourth smith yet though lol.

20. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Sounds like booking an appointment at your favorite brothel.