Nighthawk Interchangabe Optic System (IOS)

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by Hawker7, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hawker7

Hawker7 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I know this is a new offering but does anyone have any experience with this option? I like to use both Iron and Dot sights so I think it could be a great option to be able to switch back and forth.

2. Hardway

Hardway Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I’m very interested in this also. Hope someone has this option. Looking forward to responses.

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Steve Fisher had one pistol with the IOS cut and plate installed with I believe a Heinie rear sight at our training class. He did not have one with an optic on it at the time. He said he received his before the SHOT Show and Nighthawk did not have the optic cut plates ready. The install is really clean and almost unnoticeable where the cut is. A couple of us talked to him about it and got a closer look at his pistol and talk about the durability . I think this will be an awesome way to mount an optic on a 1911.

Mickey D and Jollyroger1 like this.
  4. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    I have a RMR that was milled and mounted by ATEI. They did a great job, but due to the design its a permanent mod, and when the RMR is removed, it looks like crap.

I think Nighthawk and Joe Chambers with their plug and play mounting systems are going to be game changers for the 1911 market.

Mickey D, Badabing11, JLL2013 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hawker7

Hawker7 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Thats what I saw but wanted to see if someone had seen first hand how well the plate blended in on the slide. It looks great from the pictures online.

6. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    My own opinion is that Dan Wesson is heading in this direction. As you may/may not know, they discontinued the Valor series which was supposedly their top of the line pistol. What better way to start in to an IOS system: discontinue the top of the line gun, get rid of existing inventory and bring out a replacement with an entirely new system ala the IOS type!! Time will tell!!

7. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Any where I can find pics of Joe C's version....................

TR

8. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Take a look at the Nighthawk site

9. John Deere

John Deere Active Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I told Keith the other day I would be a test subject for free if they needed a volunteer. The answer I got was they were not sure Dan Wesson customers would pay the price. I told him I would and was sure there were others.

10. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    I wonder if NH got a release date for mounting the IOS on existing 1911 pistols. My Agent 2 in 9mm would be a sweet candidate.

11. John Deere

John Deere Active Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I called and asked about doing it to a Dan Wesson and was told only NH.

12. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    3749F4C8-39D8-46CB-B777-78AB0C52893E.jpeg Just got my Falcon Doublestack back from NHC for RMR cut. Shot 300 through it yesterday and it’s as accurate as you can get.
    I talked with Bob About the IOS and I had one issue that kept me from going that route instead of a dedicated RMR cut- for the Trijicon RMR and Holosun 507c, the rear sight has to be in front of the RDS, not behind it. That was a deal killer for me. So, went the traditional way and have no regrets.

13. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Will say I was one of the people AZpool mentioned that got to play with Yeti’s IOS at the class. It is slick and was REAL easy and fast to change out

14. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Wondering about with the IOS system why with the RMR and Holosun the rear sight must be in front of the red dot? From my perspective, probably the only red dot I would use is the Trijicon RMR. Had others and when all is said and done, prefer the Trijicon so flexibility to use other red dots is not an issue with me.

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Check out his social media FB97A95D-7E5D-485A-87E9-D8D5CC4D0ECE.jpeg

I would rather have the back sight in front of the optic body. I think the install looks cleaner and is pretected better.

And some other people’s thoughts from guys that are really pushing training with a red dot.

FWoo45 likes this.
  16. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    I only use my guns for the range, no carry so in reality I could care less about the backup iron sights. Carry a 2032 and 1632 replacement batteries in my range bag to change was needed.

Badabing11 likes this.
  17. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    The location of the rear sight is not so much a utilitarian issue for me, but is the 'FCS on 1911' and/or 'Rail on 1911' syndrome for me. I just do not like how they look when the rear sight is in front of the RDS.
    For use reasons, there's no correct answer that I'm aware of. For every gun bunny out there that says you shoot faster with the rear sight in front, there's one who will say your gun will blow up and kill everything within a 20 mile radius if the rear sight in front. Maybe a Grand Master will note the difference, but for the 99.99999% of the rest of us schlubs, it probably makes no difference in accuracy.

Badabing11 and azpoolguy like this.
  18. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    This thread is over month old so by now any addicts using this IOS system?

19. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Was told last week, it is currently only available on new builds still.

20. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I haven’t seen the Nighthawk optic option but STI’s offering is pretty slick. They also not have a HOST 2 cut that doesn’t need an optic mounting plate.
    2861B6DE-1449-4350-B3C0-79AE6CBFF47F.jpeg C08FDD6C-CD6D-4285-B178-0174E3D93D94.jpeg