Nighthawk IOS

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by skford, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. skford

skford New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    What do you folks think of the new Nighthawk Interchangeable Optic System?
    I've been considering trying a red dot due to my declining eyesight. Esthetically I hate the idea of putting one on a 1911 but I think it might result in getting better hits. Of course the other issue is if I like it then what happens to all the cool 1911s I have in the safe, are they rendered obsolete?

Terry Ewald likes this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I don't know much about Nighthawk, but I think optics on pistols is the future.

BennyAdeline and SCS1911 like this.

3. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I like the AOS/IOS concept. It is a smart idea that allows versatility to future optic footprints that direct milling cannot accommodate. I have RDS's on my carry Glock's, and for me, it did help with accuracy due to a simplified focal point.

I had been considering ordering a Firehawk with the IOS once I get some priorities handled.

4. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    [QUOTE Of course the other issue is if I like it then what happens to all the cool 1911s I have in the safe, are they rendered obsolete?[/QUOTE]

No need to worry, just send 'em to me!

Problem solved.

You're welcome! :grin:

5. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Absolutely, the way forward. I chose a pistol that I wouldn't cry over (if I didn't like the concept) for my first RMR install. I had NH do the machining for the Trijicon adapter early last year. The RMR might not be the optic of the future, but it's undeniable that MRDS equipped pistols are.

6. Humbucking

Humbucking Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I really like the idea of the IOS. I want to know if they can mill one of my STIs & put it on?

7. skford

skford New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Haha! to BigSkyGuy. Thank you for your offer kind sir:grin:

8. NighthawkRep

NighthawkRep Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2015
    At this time we are only offering the IOS on new builds. We are hoping to offer it on other slides in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humbucking likes this.
  9. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    BDBEFF20-E1DF-402F-A756-D579A2AC7506.jpeg C18E053F-2306-49B6-B7DE-E1610B2D9B6D.jpeg 97C11F24-2569-41C1-ADCB-B966421EB9A7.jpeg I have two 1911s with red dots on them. I first bought a Kimber KHX OR and put a Vortex Venom on it. Loved it and the gun shoots great. I liked it so much I had the slide for my Dan Wesson PM9 milled for the Kimber optic plate system and mounted a Leupold DPP. I’m far sighted and red dots allow me to shoot well at all ranges. I don’t want to own a 1911 without one.
    Almost forgot - I have a custom 1911 with a .22 conversion unit and an UltraDot.
    Jeff

10. Rathos

Rathos New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    According to their website it cost $350 for the milling. It doesn't say what plates that comes with. I am will probably send a 1911 or two their way to have it done. Biggest issue I see right now is there are no duty holsters for them.

11. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    It looks like it comes with the fixed rear sight and you would have to buy another plate for you optic. Certainly looks like the best system out there for both ease of use and rigidity.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted