Nighthawk Korth

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Xringchaser, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    Anybody have one and how do they shoot?

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    If you use the forum search engine you can find some good info

Gafanhao likes this.

3. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Yes, believe the hype. Built like a tank, and every component is a quality piece. Very smooth trigger. Hell, it’s kind of like a German Colt Python. As for accuracy, you certainly have the right tool for the job. After all, it’s the Indian not the arrow. Very pleased with mine.

E0B0320E-CC5E-47E5-90BD-9FAB9661A96F.jpeg

The grips are Korth aftermarket. The rubber ones were functional, but In my humble, and OCD opinion, didn’t due the gun justice.

4. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    Shoots great (nice action and accurate)—like a .22 when using the 9mm cylinder.
    AF8C5932-2D4F-4140-B989-31A8DD6F0A4D.jpeg 719DCE94-8099-483C-A0D1-D701C01B0D2C.jpeg

5. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    Thanks for the input. Very nice specimen and I like the grips. I’m trying to negotiate on one now. I had ordered and payed for one with an additional 9mm cylinder when they were first supposed to come out. After 6 months I got a refund because the seller didn’t know when or if they would become available. I had ordered a 3” barrel but now I’m thinking longer?
    Thanks again,
    John

6. IowaDave

IowaDave New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    They are great shooters and quality workmanship. I have (3) and looking to sell one of them if you have interest. 4" with both cyclinders 9mm/.357 and the Turkish wood grip. I only shot this one 6 rounds with the 9mm cylinder. PM me if you have interest. I'm going to post it in the classified section soon.

Gafanhao and Xring like this.
  7. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
  8. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    They used to call me "Python Pete". I really like Pythons. The Korth is better.

That being said, every gun that I've ever owned has had it's tradeoffs. I think that's true for most people and that's what fuels this obsession to find the "perfect" gun. I have a 3 1/2" Mongoose. In double action, it's the nicest revolver I've ever shot. Smooth, consistent pull. The action, though, is different that what you're used to with anything else and there were a few things that bugged me at first. The cylinder stop pin will partly disengage when the trigger is released. Enough so the cylinder will sometimes rotate backwards a little between shots. Has never failed to fire the next shot, but just bugged me. Also, the forward pressure of the trigger when released is not as strong as what you're probably used to. It's adjustable, but when you've got everything adjusted "just right", it's still not as much release pressure. I spoke with other guys that have these guns, it's not just mine. I spoke with one of the guys at Nighthawk and realized that this is just a different kind of cat. Overall, it's a superior action that, from what I've read, will fire tens of thousands of 357. I've never owned a revolver that I could shoot as well in double action mode as I can this one, due to the smooth consistent pull.

I've been carrying mine more and more. Nighthawk suggested Wright Leather Works for a holster. They made me a pancake style, I think designed for an L frame Smith. I've read somewhere that the Korth is the same frame dimensions as the Smith. It's not. But it's close and the holster works fine. Their quality is excellent. I'm using the rubber monogrip on mine. the presentation wood grips look good, but they're big and are more slippery than the rubber and I choke up on the gun better with the rubber. I'm still intending to contact Korth and see if I can get checkered combat grips. All in all, I'd like to see some high end holsters available specifically for this gun and more grip options.

I always see mentioned that the price is high. I disagree. I think it's a hell of a lot of gun for the $$. I have never owned a better .357 I view the Mongoose not as a collectible, but as the best working .357 money can buy. It's a very refined yet tough piece. It's an interesting gun that I intend to work with and get to know. The negatives that I've mentioned aren't really negatives. Just me getting used to a new and different revolver action. Owning this one has been a fun and rewarding experience for me. If you're thinking about getting one, then my advice is: get one.

Pete

Gafanhao and Texasdude74 like this.
  9. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    Pete, thanks for your information. It’s always better to hear from someone that has actual experience with something.
    That said, I jumped in with both feet and have two versions on the way to me. A 4” and 5.25” both with 9mm cylinders.
    I had ordered a 3” a year and a half ago when they first said they were available. I waited 6 months and still didn’t have a ship date so I canceled it.
    They told me there were import problems with the extra cylinder. Apparently they’ve resolved that.
    I always liked shorter barrels and I guess I’ve changed my mind. I haven’t seen a 3 1/2” advertised anywhere but that would be interesting.
    Again, thanks for your information.
    John

IowaDave likes this.
  10. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    I only buy Ratzeburg Korths, as the refinement and quality are unsurpassed. However, I've shot the Lollar models and they are just as accurate in my experience.

Here are mine...

[​IMG]

duketbrd88, justice12, HCSO29 and 5 others like this.
  11. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Correction: I was wrong, mine's a 3" barrel. Perfect carry .357, you're gonna love yours

12. Gafanhao

Gafanhao Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2018
  13. Dddrees

Dddrees Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    I recently just purchased two myself. I still have to get out to the range yet. Seems strange so many have little problem paying even more for a 1911 and I have myself but question whether it is a good idea to pay so much for a revolver. I get it that there maybe questions, but often it is true that you have to pay a bit more to get some of those things you just can't get at a lower price range. I've yet to be disappointed when doing so myself. I anticipate having just as much fun with these as I did my recently purchased Freedom Arms model 97 in 22LR.

I do want to ask if anyone is watching this thread what you use to clean your Korths with. All my previously owned revolvers where in stainless steel and a lead removing cloth worked wonders. I know this is a BIG NO NO on blued guns so what do you use if I might ask. I wish to remove as much residue as possible with doing as little possible harm to the finish.

Attached Files:

14. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    soak it in BREAKFREE

15. justice12

justice12 Member

Apr 30, 2016
    I’ve been eyeing these for a long time now, I really need a wheel gun, why not get the best

16. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Hey look!
    Yet another rabbit hole to explore!:careful::bang:

17. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    That is why I am backing out of this thread and never returning.

dstallguy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted