1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have seen some serious nice custom 1911s on sale here from great sellers here from $5k to $10k.
Now my question is Nighthawk Master VIP worth the same cash like those BECs...?

Anybody here owns one?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I own the Nighthawk VIP in antique nickle chambered in 9mm, and it's the most expensive gun I own. It's an eye popping, jaw dropping 1911 and shoots like a dream. The hand engraving is a work of art.

Is it for everyone, probably not. My first hawk cost me $2500 used, first gun over $1500. Then I moved up to $3000 guns, then $4000, etc. If you have the money it's a great gun. If you have to eat Cheerios for dinner to afford this, then pass.

It's worth it IF you can afford it. I ain't rich but like many addicts here I spend over $10,000 a year on guns. So I bought this and nothing else for the year. I don't spend money on cars or expensive vacations, this is my addiction. If this sounds like you and you're a Nighthawk fan, maybe this is in your future.

Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The two I have are excellent, one is the antique nickel, is as good looking as they came (IMO, of course), and my 9mm in DLC shoots as well (for me) as anything I own. I have no regrets. Having said that, some really nice custom pistols (Evolution Armory, i.e.,) are very competitive at that price, even with a modest amount of engraving. @Bertram the Engraver,, a member here, does excellent engraving work. If fact, I believe he did some of NHC's VIPs?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I own the Nighthawk VIP in antique nickle chambered in 9mm, and it's the most expensive gun I own. It's an eye popping, jaw dropping 1911 and shoots like a dream. The hand engraving is a work of art.

Is it for everyone, probably not. My first hawk cost me $2500 used, first gun over $1500. Then I moved up to $3000 guns, then $4000, etc. If you have the money it's a great gun. If you have to eat Cheerios for dinner to afford this, then pass.

It's worth it IF you can afford it. I ain't rich but like many addicts here I spend over $10,000 a year on guns. So I bought this and nothing else for the year. I don't spend money on cars or expensive vacations, this is my addiction. If this sounds like you and you're a Nighthawk fan, maybe this is in your future.

I don't own one but I just had to express how much I relate to this post. No fancy cars, no vacations. The guns that it has afforded me in recent years is more than worth it. That's not the same for us all. I have my dream gun with KGB and when I'm done it will ring in less than a VIP. I plan on doing more "dream guns", but I have a financial limit and the years that full builds are ready to be paid for they will be the focus of all "gun money" that year.

To me, my Alchemy's are worth every penny. I don't have my KGB gun(s) yet, but I know they'll make me happy. If I felt the same way about a VIP I wouldn't hesitate and if I regretted it for any reason I'd try to recoup as best as possible from another Addict. That's easier said than done, but it is The Way Of The Addict.

@ako I hope you buy it and enjoy it or find the BEC, etc. that floats your particular boat. You open a lot of doors with that kind of money.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For me, the Nighthawk VIP series is not worth the money. Not to say it is not an example of fine pistol craftsmanship as it is. I just rather spend my money on something else such as a bespoke Infinity single-stack, a custom gun from John Harrison, or multiple STI single-stack pistols. Why? Because that is what I like. I may be unusual in that I am not a fan of any of the semi-custom/high-end production houses. The ones that I do own have been extensively customized to my tastes, such as my Nowlin-barrelled SACS Pro that John Harrison modified to meet my preferences. The closest thing I have to the VIP series is an Ed Brown that was smithed by Wilson and finished by Doug Turnbull with case-color hardening on the lower and polished blue on the upper.

All of that is to say that the worth is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts

great post and attitude. I share yours sentiments. You only live once.

and of course, there are no U hauls behind hearses-- enjoy what you have earned.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
great post and attitude. I share yours sentiments. You only live once.

and of course, there are no U hauls behind hearses-- enjoy what you have earned.
@boatdoc, when I ordered my last Hawk I sent Mark Stone a note, that if I die before the build is finished would he expedite the build and have it sent directly to the funeral home so I could "take it w/ me", and he agreed to that condition. In a similar fashion, when I ordered another Cabot (due Q1 2023) I requested the same stipulation w/ Rob Bianchin, and he also agreed to my request.

Enjoy your own favorites as I enjoy mine. You only live once, but as you can see, I have my ducks lined up just in case...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don’t own a VIP, but I shot Mark Stone’s at the Nighthawk Gathering this year, and I can say it was one of the best 1911’s I’ve shot, and with the engraving and finish it was jaw dropping. As many have and will say it’s all a matter of personal perspective. Nobody here can tell you if a gun is worth it or not.

I personally save and look to spend my money on guns that speak to me. For what it’s worth I currently have a TRS Comp on order and added a few thousand worth of options like custom finish and stippling that I believe will enhance my experience and satisfaction level with the gun. In the same breath others may only order what’s needed and keep the gun more base, and others yet may feel the gun itself isn’t worth the money.

If it’s within your budget and it speaks to you pull the trigger. To me money buys experiences, nobody sits around the campfire telling stories about account balances.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Only you can decide. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That being said.......

No knocks against NH, I have a couple of their guns and they make a great product.

But no semi custom (in my opinion) is worth the price of a full custom. If its a choice of spend 10K on a NH today, walk into your FFL and walk out with the gun, and enjoy it for the 5-10 years you are waiting on a Burton or other tier one smith to build you a gun, I can somewhat see the argument though I would buy a less expensive nighthawk for that purpose frankly.

If its an either or, the Nighthawk or a tier one custom built gun to your specs then nope its not worth the price of admission in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I don’t own a VIP, but I shot Mark Stone’s at the Nighthawk Gathering this year, and I can say it was one of the best 1911’s I’ve shot, and with the engraving and finish it was jaw dropping. As many have and will say it’s all a matter of personal perspective. Nobody here can tell you if a gun is worth it or not.

I personally save and look to spend my money on guns that speak to me. For what it’s worth I currently have a TRS Comp on order and added a few thousand worth of options like custom finish and stippling that I believe will enhance my experience and satisfaction level with the gun. In the same breath others may only order what’s needed and keep the gun more base, and others yet may feel the gun itself isn’t worth the money.

If it’s within your budget and it speaks to you pull the trigger. To me money buys experiences, nobody sits around the campfire telling stories about account balances.
Wow, I seem to be in sync w/ a lot of folks here today. I just ordered my TRS Comp a few hours ago, w/ several options including their IOS and a custom finish. I was going to sell a kidney, but now I think I have to sell both kidneys plus maybe an arm and a leg. My rep told me the TRS Comp is one of their most popular 1911s now a days, and for good reason.

I have begun to realize not only do I have an addiction, but as I get used to better guns, my taste requires higher and higher doses of quality and craftsmanship. Once you buy a $4000 1911, $5000 isn't that much more expensive, and so it goes on and on. I think I'm ready for my intervention...

BTW, Mark's EDC is his VIP, I guess it's good to be President :cool: So the VIP is definitely not a safe queen, I take mine to the range regularly, but I'm not ready for it to be my EDC. Mine gets to the range and every now and then it gets to a BBQ or two.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have begun to realize not only do I have an addiction, but as I get used to better guns, my taste requires higher and higher doses of quality and craftsmanship. Once you buy a $4000 1911, $5000 isn't that much more expensive, and so it goes on and on. I think I'm ready for my intervention...

BTW, Mark's EDC is his VIP, I guess it's good to be President :cool: So the VIP is definitely not a safe queen, I take mine to the range regularly, but I'm not ready for it to be my EDC. Mine gets to the range and every now and then it gets to a BBQ or two.
Agreed on all fronts, it’s hard to go backwards in terms of build quality when you start shooting higher quality guns.

Since it’s relevant to the thread here’s a picture of Mark Stone’s personal VIP on the table for all to shoot.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thank you for the information, i have owned almost every brand of 1911s except nighthawk, cabot and acw..

The only time for cheerios for dinner is end of the world lol

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
@ako, IMHO you're missing out on 3 of the finest 1911s. If cost is the issue, try to find something used. My first few Nighthawks were used, and the same for my Cabots. It has been my experience that folks who own a Cabot or a Hawk don't mistreat them. I've bought a couple of used Cabots and Nighthawks here (see pix below), and all the mammoth grips are from Scott (@AF_ONE).

Trigger Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

Everyday carry Handgun holster Musical instrument accessory Wood Strap

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

Calipers Wood Revolver Air gun Trigger

Air gun Everyday carry Tableware Knife Gun accessory

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
@ako, IMHO you're missing out on 3 of the finest 1911s. If cost is the issue, try to find something used. My first few Nighthawks were used, and the same for my Cabots. It has been my experience that folks who own a Cabot or a Hawk don't mistreat them. I've bought a couple of used Cabots and Nighthawks here (see pix below), and all the mammoth grips are from Scott (@AF_ONE).

View attachment 1089414

View attachment 1089415

View attachment 1089416

View attachment 1089417

View attachment 1089418
awesome collection. hope you are enjoying every shot fired through them.

your thoughtful responses( and pics) clearly show the thought process when moving up the ladder of quality, upgrades and $$.

My struggle with the $$ is this: IF I was going to spend 9-10 grand--

can I justify buying ONE special gun like a VIP vs buying 2 of the non VIP 1911s offered by NHC,?

Would I want one special( grail) gun--the gun to end all-a pinnacle gun

or 2 semi customs built to my liking ?

no way to judge by shooting each. That would make the decision easier.

Reactions: simonp
1 - 20 of 28 Posts