Nighthawk Thunder Ranch Surface Rust

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Choc. Lab, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Choc. Lab

Choc. Lab Member

Apr 14, 2020
    ** This is an informational post only, by no means am I upset or bashing any company in this thread***

Shot a couple hundred rounds last night so this morning I figured its been a month so this morning I decided to clean it. While I was wiping down the frame something caught my eye. I went ahead and removed my left side (body side) grip panel. Sure enough, 4 tiny spots of surface rust directly inline with the edge of the grip panel. Now I've been carrying this daily since the first few days I've had it 2-2 1/2mo, 12 -14hr days

Moral of the story is to not be like me and wipe your guns down more regularly, regardless of the finish on the gun.....if you're worried about it.

Just some history been carrying 1911's for that last 2.5yrs, before this was a DW VBOB, didn't have any issues. The six years before that was various plastic HK models. Did get some surface rust on P30 before I smartened up and realized I should pay attention better.I must have some acidic body sweat. Good thing these are daily tools and not show pieces.

2. IndyExit

IndyExit Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2018
    You were able to rust a stainless nitrided gun? Impressive.

boatdoc likes this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Pictures would help.

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Stainless can rust, although I'm pretty sure the base material on the Thunder Ranch is carbon steel. The gun has a Nitride finish though. A Nitrided gun shouldn't rust.

boatdoc likes this.
  5. Choc. Lab

Choc. Lab Member

Apr 14, 2020
  6. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’ve had rust on nitrided Blaser rifle barrels, so yeah, it can happen.

7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    From the picture it looks more like defect in the finish than rust

HooDoo Man and boatdoc like this.
  8. retrieverman

May 16, 2013
    From the wear, it doesn’t look like it’s been nitrided to me.

I’ll look under the grip panel of my nitrided Baer and report back.

boatdoc likes this.
  9. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    “smoked” nitride perhaps ?
    i’d go with defective finish.

boatdoc and Capthobo like this.
  10. retrieverman

May 16, 2013
    After looking at mine, I agree something must’ve gone wrong when they “smoked” the nitride, because regular nitride doesn’t look like that even after several years of wear.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    boatdoc and Capthobo like this.
  11. Choc. Lab

Choc. Lab Member

Apr 14, 2020
    I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe someone from NHC will chime in.

boatdoc likes this.
  12. IndyExit

IndyExit Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Almost overlooked was the excellent selection of duty guns you've had over the years.

13. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Couple of years back I started noticing nasty stuff happening to frames under VZ grips. All of my NightHawks have been built without VZ grips ever touching the steel. I was concerned enough when I first noticed it on DW guns that I began replacing all VZ grips I had, some just got tossed, some are never on guns I purchase, some I gave away. There's no science involved, or any photos cause it's old news to me now, and I can't prove a damn thing except what I saw on my guns. Just my experience with VZ, others may differ. But VZ grips won't go on a gun I own, what everyone else does is their business and I could not care less. And I suspect VZ could not care less about my guns. LOL

14. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Also, Nitride, Melonite, QPQ leaves a brown residue on the treated item. Get an oily patch and run it down the bore and chamber, you'll get some light reddish brown residue, haven't seen it on my NightHawks which tells me they do a pretty good cleaning prior to shipping, except the bore will have a bit of carbon from the test firing.

15. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    For what it’s worth, I recommend using barrier insulation grip protectors under VZ grip panels.
    The VZ grips tend to rub a hash pattern into the metal under them that resembles the finish on the back of the grips.
    I’m not knocking the VZ grips as I use them almost exclusively on my guns.
    The insulator or protectors are available from Alumigrip and well worth the investment.

simonp, Gordy, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    email NHC. they will take care of you for sure

17. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I've hsd stainless steel cinch buckles rust. The saddle cinch heys exposed to horse sweat and eater crossing creeks

Eric likes this.
  18. Chuc

Chuc Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Use EPI’s 501 oil under the grips and wipe it down with the EPI 501. It’s got 100+ hours of salt spray resistance. My 1911’s have either a black nitride or a “smoked” black nitride finish on them. My latest is the ACW303 Prime I did with black nitride and polished with 3000 grit to get the smoked nitride finish. The EPI 501 soaks into the pores and displaces water. I put the oil into old spray bottles of Gibbs and use it that way. Give that a try. My Nighthawk Thunder Ranch also had the rough smut under the grip panels but it rubbed off using the EPI and a rag. The slight discoloration is still present but it’s because I don’t mind it enough to polish it to the smoked nitride finish.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Even hard chrome will rust depending on the PH levels of your sweat. I know this to be a fact, since it happened to me, always in the checkering on the front strap of my competition 70 series. Shooting in the heat of the summer up in the high desert gets you sweating.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted