1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a $4.5k budget, would you get a high end NHC or a volkmann 1911? How many people have experience of shooting a volkmann 1911? Is it accurate?

Thanks

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,483 Posts
With that budget, CCP WMG and call it a day...

If I were choosing between a gun built by Luke or a NH, I’d take the Volkmann gun every time. With that said NH does make a nice gun.

TBH... Unless you are a Master Class Bullseye shooter, you are not going to out shoot the Volkmann or NH.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, SS Heinie and T4 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,158 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's all about perception to be honest. Volkmann builds a prettier gun, at least when if you're looking at the Signature. He's a one man shop so that offers some exclusivity, which appeals to some people. That being said, I've had my hands on one Volkmann. There was a enough gap in the slide to frame that I could see the recoil spring. Might not make a difference to most, but it did to me. Perhaps it was fluke, but I decided it wasn't for me.

Nighthawk also offers the one gunsmith build philosophy. And your could request a smith that's the member of the Pistolsmith Guild. Does that make a difference? It might to some, not so much to others. They also offer more options, but again that's preference.

Both build superb guns. But it's more about what you like.

You probably won't find anyone that has a Volkmann in stock. Gunslingers can order you one, but Luke only has 3 stocking dealers, none of them in Texas.

·
Registered
511 Posts
For a $4.5k budget, would you get a high end NHC or a volkmann 1911? How many people have experience of shooting a volkmann 1911? Is it accurate?

Thanks
I'd take the Volkmann 100 times out of 100. Like others have said, he is a one man shop and each gun is single handedly built by him. He builds one or two guns at a time so each gun is given his undivided attention. I own 3 of his and just sold my NHC.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Having owned both, I have nothing against NHC and honestly love Nighthawks. But in my opinion, they do not compare to Volkmanns. There is the one gun, one gunsmith saying, but Luke is literally a one man shop so each gun you get is built by him. He doesn't mass produce or try to build dozens of guns at once - he focuses on one or two at a time. His polished blued slides are the best in the industry IMO. He is beyond easy to work with and you deal with him directly. He provides updates as your gun is being built, with pics and is happy to show you the process. Again, not bashing NHC, but I sent in three guns to NHC - I added an ambi safety to two of them (took 5 months), and the other I added a threaded barrel & ambi safety (took 7 months). I had Luke add an ambi safety and it took him a couple days.

The slide to frame fit is like glass. I also really like the dimpled strap he does - it feels great on your hands, provides good grip but doesn't tear them up. He is the master behind EBs Snakeskin and offers his version of the Viper.

I also have a SS Volkmann and my goodness, his SS is second to none.

Accuracy: tac driver. The Volkmanns are extremely accurate (as are NHC). I'm not one to brag about my shooting so to be honest, a GI, NHC, Volkmann, etc. will outshoot me all day long. If you're outshooting a NHC or Volkmann, perhaps you need to step up to another level - they are both extremely accurate. Not sure I would rank one over the other as they both perform extremely well.

My theory on Volkmanns is that you can go to GI, GB, 1911Addicts and pick up a NHC any day of the week. But to have a Volkmann that you know is not mass produced and hes not employing 36 gunsmiths, is something special. Its literally built by him and he builds it like its his own. Again, I love NHC but the only one I've kept is a DS in 9mm.

I'll get off my soap box now but really can't say enough good things about Luke and his 1911's. Happy to send pics for additional torture.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Where to buy inventory volkmanns?
Only place you can find them is on GB. He usually has a "project build" he does when he's working on guns. I emailed with him earlier today and he is working on a RMR Combat Custom that he said would be polished blue or CCH by Turnbull. He always sells them and they are usually gone before he finishes them. He will let you customize it as much as you want if you pick it up before hes done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beyond good cosmetic things about volkmann, how about accuracy and reliability? Anybody has real shooting experience?

·
Registered
378 Posts
So as with all 'vs' posts, this one proves to be the same. All of "addicts" eventually tend to favor a particular brand. And that has come truly only one way...through personal experience. You can take all this feedback and use it to form your own conclusions, but don't take the recommendation of others solely when basing your decision. Ultimately, it will lead down the road to disappointment.

You're likely going to need to try a few different guns before you find the one that just does it for you. Trust me, I've been down this long road and it's cost me a lot of money. I've had Baer, NHC, ACW, Cabot, Brown and Wilson. I was going to order a Volkmann as well. But the honest truth is, the best guns for me are Wilson's. I sold everything else to buy more Wilson's. Does that mean they make the best gun out of all of the above? Probably and most definitely not. But they offer the best combination of features, build quality and performance that suits me best.

Now I'm only branching out to other brands if they can offer me something that Wilson can't. So I'm trying another NHC because they offer a 2011 platform and Wilson doesn't. That being said, if I don't like the NHC, I'll sell it.

Some of this is trial and error on your part. You have to decide if you're willing to experiment and spend the money. If you can experiment without spending the money, even better. But keep in mind, you might love a gun at first only to dislike it later on. Happened to me.

But once again, you can't base your decision solely on our opinions. I've had several guys tell me "Nighthawk builds a better gun than Wilson." Well in your eyes maybe so, but not in mine. For some above Volkmann is the clear winner. But again, you're finding some that say they're just 'meh'.

The truth is any custom gun from a big name will perform well, be beautiful, and be more accurate than you. Some like the exclusivity of owning a brand where are only a few are built. I'm not in that boat. I don't care if 1 million people own Wilson's. If it suits me best, that what I'm sticking with.

So in short, you will have to figure out what gun is right for you. We really can't do it for you. But hopefully, we can guide you with information that you deem helpful.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
It's all about perception to be honest. Volkmann builds a prettier gun, at least when if you're looking at the Signature. He's a one man shop so that offers some exclusivity, which appeals to some people. That being said, I've had my hands on one Volkmann. There was a enough gap in the slide to frame that I could see the recoil spring. Might not make a difference to most, but it did to me. Perhaps it was fluke, but I decided it wasn't for me.

Nighthawk also offers the one gunsmith build philosophy. And your could request a smith that's the member of the Pistolsmith Guild. Does that make a difference? It might to some, not so much to others. They also offer more options, but again that's preference.

Both build superb guns. But it's more about what you like.

You probably won't find anyone that has a Volkmann in stock. Gunslingers can order you one, but Luke only has 3 stocking dealers, none of them in Texas.
How old of a Volkmann was it? I’m not trying to defend Vollmann but I have had the talk with numerous gunsmith over the years about how their work has improved and if you looked at a sample of their work from 10 years ago it does not reflect on their current work. Also was it a full house build or was it just a rebuild ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
So as with all 'vs' posts, this one proves to be the same. All of "addicts" eventually tend to favor a particular brand. And that has come truly only one way...through personal experience. You can take all this feedback and use it to form your own conclusions, but don't take the recommendation of others solely when basing your decision. Ultimately, it will lead down the road to disappointment.

You're likely going to need to try a few different guns before you find the one that just does it for you. Trust me, I've been down this long road and it's cost me a lot of money. I've had Baer, NHC, ACW, Cabot, Brown and Wilson. I was going to order a Volkmann as well. But the honest truth is, the best guns for me are Wilson's. I sold everything else to buy more Wilson's. Does that mean they make the best gun out of all of the above? Probably and most definitely not. But they offer the best combination of features, build quality and performance that suits me best.

Now I'm only branching out to other brands if they can offer me something that Wilson can't. So I'm trying another NHC because they offer a 2011 platform and Wilson doesn't. That being said, if I don't like the NHC, I'll sell it.

Some of this is trial and error on your part. You have to decide if you're willing to experiment and spend the money. If you can experiment without spending the money, even better. But keep in mind, you might love a gun at first only to dislike it later on. Happened to me.

But once again, you can't base your decision solely on our opinions. I've had several guys tell me "Nighthawk builds a better gun than Wilson." Well in your eyes maybe so, but not in mine. For some above Volkmann is the clear winner. But again, you're finding some that say they're just 'meh'.

The truth is any custom gun from a big name will perform well, be beautiful, and be more accurate than you. Some like the exclusivity of owning a brand where are only a few are built. I'm not in that boat. I don't care if 1 million people own Wilson's. If it suits me best, that what I'm sticking with.

So in short, you will have to figure out what gun is right for you. We really can't do it for you. But hopefully, we can guide you with information that you deem helpful.
Very well said and 100% true. I went down a long, expensive path to learn that Volkmanns were best suited for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Beyond good cosmetic things about volkmann, how about accuracy and reliability? Anybody has real shooting experience?
I've shot NHC, Volkmann, WC, EB, LB, GI, etc. As one of the other members mentioned, unless you're a marksman, they all shoot great. I would find the one that fits you the most comfortable and go from there. I will never outshoot any of those guns from any semi-custom maker. Like the golf saying goes, dress 60's, talk 70's and shoot 80's. Find what you like and learn to shoot it best.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts