1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,465 Posts
I've owned Nighthawks and they are superb guns no doubt. I've corresponded with Luke a few times and he is great to talk to. A super guy. Someone in the forum had bought a 1911 of his and the slide had wiggle. Not tight.
If I remember correctly Luke said that was because it makes it more reliable. We probably all know that already. The customer though wanted a tight slide. Luke took it back and made it tight for him at no charge whatsoever.
When he received it back, he was satisfied. He spoke very highly of Luke. Said his customer service was second to none.

If it were me and I was spending close to 5G it would be a Volkmann without a doubt. I would imagine a Volkmann will hold its value better as well. More exclusive.

I have plans to order a gun from him myself, but it's in the future. It will be similar to this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How old of a Volkmann was it? I’m not trying to defend Vollmann but I have had the talk with numerous gunsmith over the years about how their work has improved and if you looked at a sample of their work from 10 years ago it does not reflect on their current work. Also was it a full house build or was it just a rebuild ?
Probably about a 5-6 year old build. No knock on Luke either. The trigger was amazing and it was a smooth gun. But there were a few other features that just didn't suit my taste and he couldn't offer a few options that I was looking for. No harm, no foul. I still think he builds one of the best looking guns out there and I constantly think about ordering one still.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcons x 3 + 1 Shiney Heinie all 45 acp
4,989 Posts
Basshhhahabab lol I only have 5 total and now 4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Really appreciate all your comments. Bought a NHC thunder ranch couple days ago. Decided to continue with NHC and then move to volkmann. A NHC Vice President and kestrel are on order.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,000 Posts
I love Nighthawk guns, but Luke is an artist and at $4,500 I would vote Volkmann. I really love my Combat Carry.

You may want to take a hard look at ACW too.

·
6,000 Posts
Beyond good cosmetic things about volkmann, how about accuracy and reliability? Anybody has real shooting experience?
Honestly, who really shoots well enough to pick up a gun and go OMG, this is accurate?

I'm a pretty good shot and shoot my Dan Wesson Guardian 38 Super as well as my Volkmann, Wilson, GI, Nighthawk. Of all the guns I have owned/shot I found two to be a cut above (enough to notice and grab my attention) my ACW Brimstone and my LB Stinger, everything else in my collection is about the same.

Reactions: Mtek

·
6,000 Posts
less we forget Luke's talents,

Reactions: Mtek

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Getting one is the hard part. You can rant and rave all day long but one guy can only build so many guns at a high level and handle the day to day. Me...building guns the way I would truthfully like to build them, could maybe build and finish 2 guns per week on the average. I'm crunching the numbers here and...y'know what? I think I might go out on my own.:)

Just something to consider. It's going to be much easier to get a Nighthawk than a Volkmann. Of course, right now, there's not much that's easy to get.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to have this goal of owning at least one 1911 from all the big names. But as I went down that path, I realized it just wasn't the right pursuit for me.

All builders have their strong suits. On the whole, all the big names produce a great product. And we all have our preferences. That's what makes this hobby interesting.

I won't ever speak negatively about a builder. They can do something I can't and I respect that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
NHC is definitely on top of the "custom look" line. How do you like your 1911's, classic blued looking or something new and different? Lightening cuts, flat top/tri, ported and DLC'd? The only thing I can tell you is that I have purchased many NHC frames and not one would fit a drop in Stan Chen SI magwell without slight modifications. This tells me that NHC isn't using GI specs for every measurement. Although they may take on a different approach, their work is still good and they definitely have fulfilled the custom part of the name. The fact that their metal of choice is SS is a slight turnoff for me. Why don't they offer carbon slides? Does Volkmann make his own slides or get them made by someone else? My preference would be determined by which builder holds to GI spec closest, what barrel is used and the metal used.

I don't understand how any new handgun is had for more than $3000 unless they are collector pieces. These $5k-$10k prices are plain stupid. I think a big question here is which one will hold it's value longest or more importantly, gain value. When you're buying a $5k pistol, you're making an investment unless you have money coming out your ears. Do you want to shoot it a lot or make it a safe queen? With that being said, I do like NHC's Tri-Top carry and think it would make a good addition to anyone's holster.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I used to have this goal of owning at least one 1911 from all the big names. But as I went down that path, I realized it just wasn't the right pursuit for me.

All builders have their strong suits. On the whole, all the big names produce a great product. And we all have our preferences. That's what makes this hobby interesting.

I won't ever speak negatively about a builder. They can do something I can't and I respect that.
I agree 100%. I was trying to do the same thing but just sold everything off and kept what I shoot. For me, I prefer Volkmanns but anybody that builds a quality 1911 - NHC, Volkmann, WC, EB, LB, etc. are going to be building a top notch gun that I'll never complain about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
NHC thunder ranch is a solid shooter. I bought it for shooting not the safety queen. Just need another solid commander size carry 1911.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree 100%. I was trying to do the same thing but just sold everything off and kept what I shoot. For me, I prefer Volkmanns but anybody that builds a quality 1911 - NHC, Volkmann, WC, EB, LB, etc. are going to be building a top notch gun that I'll never complain about.
Inevitably everyone wants to compare these guns against each other. Is this one better than the other, etc.?

That's the wrong approach, albeit the instinctive one. I'm guilty of it too.

We should really just be asking 2 questions. Do this builder make a good gun functionally ? And then, do I like the aesthetics and options? If the answer is yes to both, then generally you should feel like you made a good choice.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts