1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if Sig has done a one off or what but I have seen on several sights where Sig Nightmares are available in 357 Sig. I thought these were discontinued. I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on a compact model that I have found. I have been lusting for a Sig 1911 in 357 Sig for awhile now? Any reason not to?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Expensive caliber to shoot. Sometimes hard to find ammo locally. Probably have to find .40 cal mags for it. If you reload .38 Super might be a better choice. I carried a Glock 32 for several years and finally went back to 9mm for the above reasons. Great round though. Not really much better than 9mm if using HST's or GDHP's for self defense on 2-legged critters, IMO. You could have setback issues if you chamber a round multiple times. That's all I got! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Expensive caliber to shoot. Sometimes hard to find ammo locally. Probably have to find .40 cal mags for it. If you reload .38 Super might be a better choice. I carried a Glock 32 for several years and finally went back to 9mm for the above reasons. Great round though. Not really much better than 9mm if using HST's or GDHP's for self defense on 2-legged critters, IMO. You could have setback issues if you chamber a round multiple times. That's all I got! ;)
A lot of good reasons not to. I have one other gun in 357 Sig and it is a fun round to shoot. Before things got stupid I was finding the ammo for about 34-35 cents per round. To me there is a coolness factor to a Sig in 357 Sig. It may well be misplaced. I love the round and I love the 1911 platform. The rational side of me says don't do it, but the other side is wondering why I didn't make the purchase immediately.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I like the SIG 1911's non traditional extractor and all LOL
I like the 357 SIG round, I handload so it's no different than any other round to load cost wise.
I've also fitted a 40 bbl to the guns with the 357 SIG bbl's etc. SO they are switch bbl guns and work great with just adjusting the sights ( yes I have adjustable sights on them)
I use 10mm mags in those 1911's so OAL of round doesn't matter and they feed fine.

There is just something neat about 1300fps 125gr bullet out of a 1911.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like the 357 SIG round, I handload so it's no different than any other round to load cost wise.
I've also fitted a 40 bbl to the guns with the 357 SIG bbl's etc. SO they are switch bbl guns and work great with just adjusting the sights ( yes I have adjustable sights on them)
I use 10mm mags in those 1911's so OAL of round doesn't matter and they feed fine.

I agree. I've been intrigued with the .357 SIG for a long time. I just don't reload for it and I spend a LOT of time reloading 9mm since I shoot up towards a 1000 rounds of it a week.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts

Years ago, I chronographed Pro Load 357 SIG 125 gr at an average of 1570 FPS from a 5.3 inch Glock 35 with KKM barrel. Even a pud load 357 SIG should do 1400 fps from a 5 inch 1911.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Glad you wrote it.
I went very conservative cause I didn't want to hear the BS of what I've seen on my chrono.
I agree the 357 SIG can produce some very hefty velocities out of a 5" bbl.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

I handled 9mm and get 1300fps with a 115gr slug (power pistol). Not too far off and I typically shoot out of a 4.25" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Sig Nightmare in 357 sig was my first 1911. I sold it for my WC CQB Compact. The Nightmare I had was flawless. Never an issue whether ball ammo or HP ammo. I tried to get it to fail by doing magazine dumps and never did. I also have a 229 in 357 sig. The 1911 full size handled that round a lot better and extremely accurate.
I would like to get another and see if one of the “gun smiths” could upgrade the Sig.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Years ago, I chronographed Pro Load 357 SIG 125 gr at an average of 1570 FPS from a 5.3 inch Glock 35 with KKM barrel. Even a pud load 357 SIG should do 1400 fps from a 5 inch 1911.
Correct. Look at the velocities on correctly loaded 38 Super then look at real velocities of correctly loaded 357 Sig. it’s potent in the extreme. Both are rather habitually underloaded. I tend to load conservatively and even I think many if not most of the factory loadings are anemic.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Go for it. I always wanted one ..Had three 357 Sigs, sold one kept two wish I had the one I sold back.
It is a blast to shoot and lots of fun...You can even use it for a SD gun...
The two I have now are a Sig P229 and an HK P2000...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't know if Sig has done a one off or what but I have seen on several sights where Sig Nightmares are available in 357 Sig. I thought these were discontinued. I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on a compact model that I have found. I have been lusting for a Sig 1911 in 357 Sig for awhile now? Any reason not to?
Now I’m sniffing around Nightmares on GB like a hog rooting for acorns. Shame on you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Correct. Look at the velocities on correctly loaded 38 Super then look at real velocities of correctly loaded 357 Sig. it’s potent in the extreme. Both are rather habitually underloaded. I tend to load conservatively and even I think many if not most of the factory loadings are anemic.
That didn’t come out right....duh. The Super is a hot, effective cartridge. It’s just underloaded in most cases. As is the Sig. That is all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts