1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been shooting a LB CC and SACS build in USPSA but use a glock for work. I love .45 but have around 350,000 rounds of .40 which will be sitting around seeing that my department is switching to 9mm and my unit is also. Being a small unit armorer, the bosses were talked into keeping the .40, "Just incase".... Federal American Eagle 180g, makes 180pf, just fine for Single Stack Major.

I spoke to Derek @DPCC at the end of August, he spoke to the boss to make sure they would build a .40 and got the order submitted first of Sept. Picked it up on 11/25 and began shooting on 26th. 150 rounds of AE and 50 of 180g HST. Today, 11/27, I ran some drills and shot 750 rounds of AE and 50 HST. 1,000 rounds through her and not one malfunction.

I can not speak enough about the fit and attention to detail. Absolutely zero slide to frame play, even when out of battery. I have 10 Tripp .40 mags and every one locks the slide back and feeds just fine. Thick barrel bushing is awesome. I can just barely get it by hand, almost need a bushing wrench. The trigger is incredible. Better than the Baer and SACS gun.

Ill keep this updated as I plan on running 2-4,000 rounds a month. Between my .45, .40 and 9mm guns, Ill consolidate to just this gun for some time and avoid all the switching between platforms.
Brown Gun Firearm White Trigger

Finger Nail Gun accessory Thumb Gunshot
Finger Carmine Guitar accessory Nail Thumb
Metal Cylinder Silver Machine Steel

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
dude! sweet gat! I have a Springfield 1911-a1 Loaded Stainless in .40...surprisingly it's very accurate and the .40 out of a 5" 1911 is actually pleasant as far as recoil goes...I use it in Limited-10 quite a bit (I reload a TON of .40 for my STI Eagle I run in USPSA Limited...)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Sad to see your Dept is switching to a less capable round the to satisfy those who can't shoot. Good to see you like the 1911 and have them in both acceptable rounds. Any chance you can continue to carry one in either caliber?

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sad to see your Dept is switching to a less capable round the to satisfy those who can't shoot. Good to see you like the 1911 and have them in both acceptable rounds. Any chance you can continue to carry one in either caliber?
My dept has done way worse to accommodate people who can’t shoot, ever seen a dept make a bigger target? I have, they added 1” all the way around and made it acceptable to have rounds off target from a maximum distance of 15yards. I do have the choice to carry what I want and do have a Glock in 9 and .40.

I met with reps from Hornady and Federal for gel testing. 9mm duty rounds out performed .40 in almost every barrier we shot thru. Also had more consistent penetration without a barrier.

Also met with Glock and they will tell you their 9mm guns are more reliable and be break parts less. I have broke several parts in my Glock 22.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gun Grey Blade Trigger Hunting knife
That’s a beautiful GI! My first “real” semi auto pistol was a 40sw. It’s a beretta 96A1. Never really fell in love with that gun though. Then 40 fell out of favor and people just seemed to hate it irrationally. A few months ago fusion has a sale on their barrels. So I figured why not and fit a 40 UMG barrel in my colt delta elite. In my opinion, 40 was never the problem, it was the bullet launching platform. Very pleasant to shoot in a gov size pistol. Enjoy yours

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s a beautiful GI! My first “real” semi auto pistol was a 40sw. It’s a beretta 96A1. Never really fell in love with that gun though. Then 40 fell out of favor and people just seemed to hate it irrationally. A few months ago fusion has a sale on their barrels. So I figured why not and fit a 40 UMG barrel in my colt delta elite. In my opinion, 40 was never the problem, it was the bullet launching platform. Very pleasant to shoot in a gov size pistol. Enjoy yours
I find Factory .40 to be easier to shoot than factory .45. 180 power factor is quite nice in this platform.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
The juice is no longer worth the squeeze in 40. Welcome to 2019.
Sorry, but there is too little juice or enjoyment in 9mm for me. 2019 is a new year, which has nothing to do w/ being a better year.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sorry, but there is too little juice or enjoyment in 9mm for me. 2019 is a new year, which has nothing to do w/ being a better year.
Genuinely curious why you prefer .40 to 9mm. 9mm seems to be cheaper (unless you reload maybe, which I don’t, so I’m ignorant on price per round for each), easier to control under recoil, better mag capacity, and just about equivalent as far as ballistics go since bullet development and just overall ammunition technology has improved so much in recent years. It is also easier on guns, possibly (?) a moot point with an all steel gun. Would love to hear your thoughts. Not knocking your choice at all as it doesn’t affect me a bit, just curious because these days I hardly ever seem to hear of anyone favoring .40 over 9mm unless it has to do with meeting major power factor for gaming purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Genuinely curious why you prefer .40 to 9mm. 9mm seems to be cheaper (unless you reload maybe, which I don’t, so I’m ignorant on price per round for each), easier to control under recoil, better mag capacity, and just about equivalent as far as ballistics go since bullet development and just overall ammunition technology has improved so much in recent years. It is also easier on guns, possibly (?) a moot point with an all steel gun. Would love to hear your thoughts. Not knocking your choice at all as it doesn’t affect me a bit, just curious because these days I hardly ever seem to hear of anyone favoring .40 over 9mm unless it has to do with meeting major power factor for gaming purposes.
None of the criteria for 9mm you mentioned are positive ones for me.

I reload, so cost is not a factor, and it is easier to reload larger cartridges on my Dillon than smaller ones (no pinched fingers).

Control is not an issue as I started shooting a .45 1911 at age-10 and still shoot and carry one. Shooting my .40cal BHP is a dream. The gun is compact and hides easily.

I don't need lots of tiny bullets when fewer large, heavy ones do just fine. If I need >10 +1, I want something belt-fed or in the multi-kiloton range.

I only carry steel guns, so being hard on them is not a problem. But I don't shoot my BHP a whole bunch, I leave the heavy shooting to my 1911s (six w/ two on order and two more to be ordered next year).

I never carry any handgun that does not have a "4" at the beginning, as I consider the 9mm a caliber fit only for women and Europeans (not meant to be derogative to anyone here).

DVC

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Land lot Tints and shades Shade Wire fencing Shadow
Carmine Box Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Another 800 today. 2580 total. Ran a bunch of plate rack drills and transition. To paper. Had an odd Half cock issue in the first 200 rounds but only happened once so not sure if I caused it but it did not happen again. Shot one round, chambered another but hammer went to half cock. Not to concerned though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.