Non 1911 pattern detail cleaning without detail strip ??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by saltydog452, Feb 13, 2019.

1. saltydog452

saltydog452 Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I had to send a sig 228 back for reassembly after I detail striped the 228 for cleaning. Same with a Ruger Mk 1 Target, and a Star BM, S&W 39 series, and probably others. I'm not exactly a klutz with using my hands but without a third hand some things just don't want to back to where they were.

Sloshing around in varsol, naptha, diesel, keorsene, etc at home just isn't going to happen. Without any access to a Safety Clean parts wash and compressed air, how do you folks get the itty bitty gritty stuff out of the nooks and crannys of your non 1911 Pattern gats?

Thanks

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I take them apart, clean thoroughly , and reassemble in reverse order.

BenchMonkey, gaijin and SparkyAZ like this.

3. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    i just don't clean. seriously, i haven't detail stripped a pistol in 15 years. BUT, if you get pressurized cleaner for Nitro R/C cars, it works great on guns. It's just pressurized denatured alcohol. That stuff just blows grime away.

If you've ever been around 2 stroke, nitro R/C cars, you know that they get 100x more filthy can a pistol ever could

BenchMonkey likes this.
  4. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    This works for me too...

El Perdido and BenchMonkey like this.
  5. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Ugh, Ruger Mk 1. The 22/45 is almost as bad. Prolly wouldn't have tore it down if a neighbor hadn't tried shooting snake shells in it.
    :bang:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted