Noob here, looking to get into reloading.

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by ThePhotog, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ThePhotog

ThePhotog Previously Tractus Arms

Dec 7, 2011
    Hey guys! Haven't been here long, but let me start off by saying this is my favorite 1911 forum by far! Anyways, have a few too many 1911's and shoot quite a bit, so I figured I would get some advice about reloading. I know nothing about it, and mechanically inept, so how hard is it to get the hang of things? And is there a reloader out there that is more user friendly?

This is the one I was looking at (mainly because I'd rather get more rounds out in a hour than less, hopefully the learning curve isnt that bad):
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/1/pid/23877/Super_1050

I will be reloading 9mm, .45acp, and .50gi

Thanks all and forgive my ignorance!

2. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    When you say you shoot quite a bit, how many rounds does that equal? I've gotten by with a 550 and load close to 20,000 rounds a year. A 650 is tempting but has a few drawbacks for me.

I'm not sure how much of a PITA swapping calibers on a 1050 is so I'd really search for that answer. A great site for reloading info is - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    What did I tell ya my friend?

4. ThePhotog

Dec 7, 2011
    Right you were! Thanks!

John,

I probably will only shoot 8000 a year, so maybe I should stick with the 550, how has that one worked for you? Easy to use?

5. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    If proper set up is done, you can load between 4 and 5 hundred rounds in an hour with a Dillon RL550B, and your cal change out will be quicker and cheeper than a 1050.
    But if you want auto indexing get the 650 or 1050.

6. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    If all you're looking to shoot is 8K or so a year, a 1050 would be overkill and then some.

The 550 is the gold standard, IMO, for reloading machines. It is very easy to use and has worked great for me reloading pistol and rifle.

The only gripe some people have is it isn't auto-indexing, which slows it downs somewhat but it isn't hard to manual forward to the next station. I can do about 450-500 rounds an hour if I get my rhythm going but rarely reload like that. I prefer to do 200-300 rounds and take a short break...helps with being complacent and making mistakes.

I'd say the 550 would be you're best bet for your volume and also since it is a very simple and reliable machine.

7. ThePhotog

Dec 7, 2011
    Thank you guys! I guess I will have to decide between the 550 and the 650. Is there a good tutorial out there that will get me learning how to reload, or is most of it trial and error? Wouldn't want to ruin a barrel by accident or anything haha. Also, where do you guys buy your powders, primers, bullets from?

Thanks!

8. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    If you're not willing to buy a case feeder, skip the 650.

I've seen some videos on Youtube that were okay, but you'd be better off finding an experienced person to help get you going. I think Dillon has a dvd that would be of use too. Lyman and Hornady manuals are pretty much a must for data.

Powder Valley is the best place for supplies I've found - http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

I like Precision Delta for bullets, though they're out of stock for my usual bullets right now - http://www.precisiondelta.com/

9. ThePhotog

Dec 7, 2011
    The electronic case feeder? I wouldn't be opposed to it, I guess being a noob I would like the most simple way of doing everything to lessen my chances of messing up haha. I just hope its not too hard to get a hold of, I guess a trip to my local reloading store is needed then. Thanks all!

10. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    Dillon makes an electronic feeder for the 550 and 650, I think they run $250 or so. The good thing about a 550 is you could always sell it down the road if you want to upgrade. A 650 without a case feeder is hindering it from really shinning.

If you're new to loading, I wouldn't have speed on my mind. It took me a while until I felt comfortable doing volume loading at a moderate pace. All you do with a 550 is put in a case, put a bullet on station 3, raise/lower handle, press forward to set a primer, rotate the station, and repeat. Very simple.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted