1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a year or so ago I went on a Norinco Pre Ban 1911 binge, bought a few. I've only messed around with one of them, put an Ed Brown barrel in it, EB trigger, sear and disconnector. I was suprised by the quality of the steel and the fit, the chinese did these right. But, the finish flat out sucks.

I'm thinking of taking the best of the lot, which is a like new gun, and having it hard chromed, slide, frame, msh, and all the other small parts excepting a trigger and the sear disconnector. Add some 10-8 government sights put on it.

Need some reccomendations where to send it, and don't really want some enormous wait time. Suggestions gratefully accepted.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Maybe a year or so ago I went on a Norinco Pre Ban 1911 binge, bought a few. I've only messed around with one of them, put an Ed Brown barrel in it, EB trigger, sear and disconnector. I was suprised by the quality of the steel and the fit, the chinese did these right. But, the finish flat out sucks.

I'm thinking of taking the best of the lot, which is a like new gun, and having it hard chromed, slide, frame, msh, and all the other small parts excepting a trigger and the sear disconnector. Add some 10-8 government sights put on it.

Need some reccomendations where to send it, and don't really want some enormous wait time. Suggestions gratefully accepted.
Metalife does great work.
Whatever you do don't send to APW. They have ground up full custom guns for me and others.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,022 Posts
I agree with rmac, Mahovsky's Metalife would be perfect for that job. They've hard chromed two of my guns, including the aluminum frame on my LW Clapp Commander. Their prices are very reasonable, as are their turn around times.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I love mine, had it about 30 yrs. Very reliable and decently accurate. Gunsmiths like them for their steel, though it's hard on their tools I've heard.

I put a 3-hole Videcki trigger in after a little stoning, got about 4 pd pull. My Dad also has one and has done the same things and better sights.

This is one I'll die with, and I trust it to the end.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called Metalife today, they don't do pistols anymore. Didn't renew their FFL so can't do the complete gun. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Club Custom Guns will do Ionbond in colors one of which is silver that looks like hard chrome. Turn around time is good.
jabuie.com or phone 336-596-0045

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,022 Posts
Called Metalife today, they don't do pistols anymore. Didn't renew their FFL so can't do the complete gun. Any other suggestions?
I've been thinking about this because I haven't seen anything else about Mahovsky's not doing guns anymore and their site is still up with all the gun info, so I gave them a call earlier today and spoke to Kim Mahovsky, Ron's daughter. She assured me that they still have their FFL and they are still plating guns. I told her that I had a Vaquero I was thinking about having HC'd and she followed our conversation up with an email and sent me an order form. So, if you haven't sent your gun off to be done yet and you're still thinking about HC, Mahovsky's is still in the gun plating business-

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the phone call today. I have attached a copy of our order
form with the mailing address on the bottom. Our turnaround time is 30
to 40 days. Thank you for being a valued customer and we look forward
to meeting all of your plating needs. As you will notice, our prices
have not increased on our plating in over 16 years. RON certainly
prides himself in offering the lowest prices in the industry for quality
plating.

We DO and HAVE HAD an FFL for many many years. I believe ATF has a
website where it can be looked up, or anyone may certainly call ATF
directly.

Warmest Regards,