1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Normal Maintenance

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Greg45acp 
#1 ·
Have a DW Pointman 9. Was wondering if there is any type of normal maintenance schedule, other than clean and lube, for say 1,000 rnds, 3,000 rnds, 5,000 rnds and onward?

#2 ·
You'll get a lot of different answers to this one. I wipe off the feed ramp and inside the slide every 50 rounds or so and lubricate. I field strip and clean thoroughly every 200 or 300 rounds. If I'm feeling ambitious, I detail strip the slide and clean every 1500--2000 rounds. I'm too much of a klutz to detail strip the frame, but plenty of guys here do, at various intervals. You'll want to change out the recoil spring eventually; there will be no agreement on the round count: some will change at 1500, others will let it go until 5000.

#5 ·
I keep it simple...

A, I field strip - clean & lube every time I shoot a gun ...
B. Every 2,000 rds, I do a complete strip on the gun down to a bare frame ..clean, inspect & lube. If you don't shoot it much ...do it once a Qtr.
C. On springs.... I have changed a little over time...springs are better now...
1. Recoil springs I use Wilson flat spring & they say 40,000 rds before replacement.
2. Firing pin spring replace at about 20,000 rds
3. Mainspring ... I replace at about 50,000 rds
4. Sear spring ....I replace at about 100,000 rds...

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I have not any problems to make a claim for warranty service. However knowing manufacturers of other things they typically look for a reason not to honor a warranty claim. So I am just doing a little due diligence in case a claim should arise I don't want to hear "well you didn't change this or that......." Perhaps I should reach out to DW and see if they have any recommendations. I do field strip, clean and lube after every range visit. Kind of enjoy that part of gun ownership as well.

Reactions: boatdoc
#7 ·
I lube any gun befor eshooting( since my hand surgery ,many were not shot for quite a while) .

I wipe the barrel clean and the chamber after each session

field strip clean and relube after 100 rounds.

done

#8 ·
Well there is......

Sorry. Could not resist. Colt had an add back about 1984 or so when they introduced models in SS that showed a Colt SS 1911 in a dishwasher and that was printed in many gun mags of the time. If you have questions on your CZ/DW I would call them and ask. That could be good or bad experience. Anything I tell you may or may not be what CZ/DW thinks is what is good for one of their pistols.

For what it is worth I field strip, clean, lube, and inspect after every range trip although that may happen the day after the range trip. Depending on the inspection then the experience may go further.

#10 ·
Carry guns get field stripped, cleaned and lubed every time I shoot them cause Elmer Keith said so.

Competition pistols just get lubed during the season unless they start acting up. It's fun to see how disgusting they can get and still run fine.

I detail strip the slides far more often than the frames. (Probably every 2000 rounds) Extractors get covered in crud. Bill Wilson has said he never takes the lower half of a 1911 apart once it is working the way he wants.

Recoil springs and firing pin springs once a year at minimum. I've taken some high round count classes where I was tempted to swap springs out after the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.