1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for current recommendations (an old thread is noted - but three years old) as to a decent pistol range in/around northern KC area. My sister & BIL are some of the nation’s relatively “new” gun owners. They’re an older couple and I’m seriously considering a trip up from Dallas to visit them. Thought I’d like to treat my BIL to a “range day” so he could get some familiarization and practice in. They stay very active but so far that doesn’t include much range time (from what I can tell).

According to my sister, they’re about twenty minutes from the airport. So something in that general area would be preferable. Don’t need rifle range capability; just pistol range (home defense type practice). They’re not totally unfamiliar with pistol shooting but I’d still be wanting to start with some fairly basic stuff - in hopes they might work this new activity into their monthly schedule (both are retired). So range “affordability” is somewhat a consideration for longer term practice outings. Any recommendations / suggestions will be appreciated. (Thanks)

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Raydoctor for that. I’ve been surprised at the lack of responses to my inquiry.

My trip got delayed due to knee replacement surgery (theirs... not mine). So my trip up there is still planned. I’ll look into your Parma Woods suggestion. Thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Parma Woods is a decent choice; but the RO can at times be a stickler. Also, if it matters, it's an outdoor range so a lot of rifle shooters will be there (think deer hunters doing an annual sight-in). It's run by the Missouri Dept of Conservation.

Not in Northtown; but not terribly far away is Frontier Justice. They have a very nice indoor range.

There might be others; but I live out south of KC so haven't had a chance to check them out.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's run by the Missouri Dept of Conservation.
Thank you kc1911. Now that I know names to look for, I’ll do a little “Internet sleuthing” on my own, too. You bring up an interesting question about indoor ranges; guess in my own mind, I had just been assuming an outdoor range, because that’s what I usually shoot at. But they might well prefer an indoor range - if they’re lucky enough to have a choice. In any case, thanks for the response, I’ll be looking into Frontier Justice.

Reference your above quoted comment. That’s one area where I wish Texas was more like other states. Wish our state would open up more of its park land to shooting. There is precious little “public land” available on which to shoot. The closest to me is more than one & half hour drive and you can only shoot shotguns on it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Parma woods is ok…sometimes very strict RO…Frontier Justice at the legends in KCK out by the Kansas Speedway has a pretty cool indoor range…There’s a place in Raytown Missouri called the blue line?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I shoot some times @ the Bullet hole in Overland Park Kansas…it’s “old-school”, but will do…if your people want to meet up I’d be happy to take them there and shoot…or FJ…..PM for info…For reference tell them I live in Leawood near 90th and state line…
David…
I’d be happy to $$$ the first couple of range trips @ BH so they can check it out… Also have a few free range passes from frontier Justice I would be happy to share as well!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Frontier Justice, they have a location at Legends.

Blue Steel range in Raytown, just remodeled after being purchased and renamed. I have not been there but have heard good things about them.

Parma does have ROs that watch the range close (a good thing), but it is outdoors and when the wind hits it just right as it gets colder it is zero fun.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Secondset, thank you for your kind and generous offer - I will convey it to them. My sister is still undergoing some physical therapy so I suspect it may be awhile before they are as active as last year. But nevertheless, I’ll let them know. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts