1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading all the positive things about appendix carry I really thought I would like it and decided to give it a try but I'm not sure I can do it.

I started with 2 of the most popular holsters for this style carry, I bought a 5 Shot SME for a 5" 1911 and a JMCK 2.5 for a commander 1911, both holster are of excellent quality and both feel great while I'm standing but I went for an hour drive into town yesterday and once I made it I had to take the holster off before I got back in my truck, it was digging in my groin and just not comfortable at all while driving so I know the 5" holster is really gonna dig into me while sitting.

I'm 6'3" and 215 with just a little gut but I don't think that's an issue because its very comfortable while I'm standing, not sure if its just not for me or maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm placing the holsters at at the 12:30-1:00 position on my belt.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
How tight is your belt when seated? The trick is when you’re sitting you need to have the gun riding parallel to your torso. If it’s not it’s going to wedge the muzzle into your thigh and grip safety into your ribs.

Try loosening your belt a bit when you sit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How tight is your belt when seated? The trick is when you’re sitting you need to have the gun riding parallel to your torso. If it’s not it’s going to wedge the muzzle into your thigh and grip safety into your ribs.

Try loosening your belt a bit when you sit.
Thanks I will give that a try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My best advice is: Don't give up. Experiment till you find what works for you. (It took me 3 weeks to make it work for me ALL day. and I'm still tweaking on occasion).

Most common solution I see is that wearing your pants just a bit higher gets rid of MANY problems.

You got the right holsters to start. They are The Business. The function of the belt can't be discounted, either.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My best advice is: Don't give up. Experiment till you find what works for you. (It took me 3 weeks to make it work for me ALL day. and I'm still tweaking on occasion).

Most common solution I see is that wearing your pants just a bit higher gets rid of MANY problems.

You got the right holsters to start. They are The Business. The function of the belt can't be discounted, either.
I currently use a Rafter leather belt, Its thick. I was thinking of switching to a Wilderness tactical Instructors belt. I wish I would have held out for a commander SME as I'm not sure I'll be able to pull of carrying a 5" model AIWB but I'm gonna give it a try. I just picked up an amazing Guncrafter NN and wanted some nice leather to go with it, would love to be able to carry it on occasion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I started carrying appendix about 4 years ago, from many different holster makers.

I ended up going back to strong side carry this year with a Sparks SS2 and two S-4C mag carriers and haven't looked back. Sold all my appendix rigs.

I had the same issues as you did. Standing was fine, but sitting was uncomfortable.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started carrying appendix about 4 years ago, from many different holster makers.

I ended up going back to strong side carry this year with a Sparks SS2 and two S-4C mag carriers and haven't looked back. Sold all my appendix rigs.

I had the same issues as you did. Standing was fine, but sitting was uncomfortable.
Which AIWB holsters were you using.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I currently use a Rafter leather belt, Its thick. I was thinking of switching to a Wilderness tactical Instructors belt. I wish I would have held out for a commander SME as I'm not sure I'll be able to pull of carrying a 5" model AIWB but I'm gonna give it a try. I just picked up an amazing Guncrafter NN and wanted some nice leather to go with it, would love to be able to carry it on occasion.
I ran a thick leather belt for a while and managed. I switch to a Wilderness EDC belt and it really was a game changer. Infinite adjustments are nice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Which AIWB holsters were you using.
Where to begin..... I first started appendix carrying Glocks (19, 43, 42), S&W J-frame, and Sig p320C full-time, then I switched to carrying govt. sized 1911's.

I've used the original Phlster, Phlster Skeleton, Phlster Classic, LAS concealment Ronin, T-rex sidecar, Tier1 Concealed Axis slim, Tenicor Velo, Tenicor Certum, Raven Vanguard, and a couple of other brands which I don't remember off the top of my head.

Most of them had the "wing" function, and I've added wedge padding (Dr. Scholl's mod) on most of them for comfort.

I then went back to the old Milt SS2 (with my 1911's) or Galco Royal Guard (had one for the Beretta M9) and haven't looked back. It just works better for me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran a thick leather belt for a while and managed. I switch to a Wilderness EDC belt and it really was a game changer. Infinite adjustments are nice.
Gonna give one a try, did you go with the 5 stitch Instructor belt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also recommend using a belt with infinite adjustment. I use a Kore gun belt, and making adjustments on the fly is the way to go, especially when sitting, or after eating.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My appendix ability stops with a J-frame sized weapon. A model 60/3 inch tube is max sitting for long periods and then I second the vote for a rachett belt - I use KORE. Open a notch or two for driving/sitting long periods; tighten as I rise to exit vehicle, chair, etc,.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My appendix ability stops with a J-frame sized weapon. A model 60/3 inch tube is max sitting for long periods and then I second the vote for a rachett belt - I use KORE. Open a notch or two for driving/sitting long periods; tighten as I rise to exit vehicle, chair, etc,.
I don't know that I'm gonna give up on it just yet but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm a Big tall guy that went appendix in the spring after 45 years of owb 3-4 oclock.
Sitting loosen belt about an inch

First try moving the whole set up about an inch or so right or left.

Reactions: Big_gun_man

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My appendix is too big. :( I carry just behind 3:00 with ether a Sparks Criterion for IWB or a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard for OWB. Got one of each for every size gun I own.
Almost my exact same setup for strong side carry except I use the VM2 but the Kramer scabbard to me is the best OWB I've ever used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well after reading all the positive things about appendix carry I really thought I would like it and decided to give it a try but I'm not sure I can do it.

I started with 2 of the most popular holsters for this style carry, I bought a 5 Shot SME for a 5" 1911 and a JMCK 2.5 for a commander 1911, both holster are of excellent quality and both feel great while I'm standing but I went for an hour drive into town yesterday and once I made it I had to take the holster off before I got back in my truck, it was digging in my groin and just not comfortable at all while driving so I know the 5" holster is really gonna dig into me while sitting.

I'm 6'3" and 215 with just a little gut but I don't think that's an issue because its very comfortable while I'm standing, not sure if its just not for me or maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm placing the holsters at at the 12:30-1:00 position on my belt.
Did you purchase a foam wedge as well?

It'll cure a multitude of sins...

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I really can not speak to a leather AIWB. I use a tier 1 concealed axis or an LAS ronin and they are equally as comfortable to me and I would second the foam wedge. It added a new dimension of comfort for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts