Notes from a Dysfunctional Photographer

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Scaramouche, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Red Rock Canyon is bordered on it's western flank by a 7,000 foot escarpment that runs about 15 miles north to south rising abruptly from the canyon's broad rolling drainage. Visually it's quite stunning.

P1040510.JPG

I always thought it would be a cool picture if I could snap & shoot the sun as it rose over the opposite horizon and just kissed the crest of the escarpment. This led me into an investigation of when was dawn.

P1010539.JPG

Come to find out there was three dawns and then it started getting complicated, cause I immediately learned that dawn isn't sunrise. Then sunrise became real confusing cause the Talmud identifies the time of first prayer is 72 minutes before dawn; this caused me to phone my favorite Hebrew scholar down in Los Angeles. His response to this simple question required me to stay on the phone for about 47 minutes as he explained the 2,000 year debate of when first prayer should occur, the 600 plus books that have been written in the Jewish faith regarding this question, etc. had me itching the few hairs left on my head.

P1010537.JPG
    Taken during at Nautical Dawn, while being vectored in by a pack of coyotes raising Cain.

Astronomical dawn occurs two hours before sunrise, while the sun is 18 degrees below the eastern horizon. Today that would have been 4:26 a.m. and yeah, I was out there; it was 29 degrees F.
    Nautical dawn occurs one hour before sunrise while the sun is 12 degrees below the eastern horizon, today that was at 5:26 a.m. That's when I was carrying a tripod, a folding chair and a backpack full of camera and other useless junk and stepped into a ditch and fell directly onto my outside the waistband 1911, jacking my left knee and soiling my trousers.
    Civilian dawn occurs when the sun is 6 degrees below the eastern horizon. Say a half hour before sunrise.
    Today sunrise was at 6:26 a.m. so if I had run back 72 minutes I could have started praying.

P1010543.JPG
    The mighty Rainbow Mtn 6924 ft standing tall 45 min before sunrise.

I researched all this nonsense last week and was already to do my amateur hour snapshot of the sun touching the crest last week and then realized that maybe I should check the weather, if there are clouds in the sky that might fudge up sunrise. Hence today's expedition. However I learned today that what phase of the moon we're in really ducks up the image your after.

P1040522.JPG
    No, I didn't want a moon in these pictures, I said before I'm a rookie.

I never found that narrow horizon band of light I was looking for to fall onto the escarpment, maybe that occurs at a particular time of the year, or is an effect when clouds are in the sky. But forget that, it was awesome being out here this morning, the coy dogs filling the pre-sunrise emptiness with their chatterings and goings on, the silence above and beyond them. That freshness and quality of light was a big payout.

P1040503.JPG
    The uninvited moon setting right on top of Cloud Tower

P1040500.JPG
    View to the north; La Madre Mountain

P1040518.JPG
    La Madre Mountain again later, with a view of the uplands of the canyon floor.

P1040506.JPG
    Looking south along the escarpment.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    miketx, xerts1191, ronin11 and 24 others like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Absolutely beautiful!

Scaramouche likes this.

3. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    After choosing the subject, achieving the desired light is the penultimate challenge in film or digital photography. Composition of the light, subject and scale is key. I like the “Looking South...” pic but I believe I see a train. Of course you’re free to disagree with me.
    Thanks for the pics you post.

ZoidMeister and Scaramouche like this.
  4. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    I don't disagree but there aint no train tracks down there, funny thing about the desert, it seems to cause you to see lots of stuff that aint there, but I'll hold off on that subject for another post.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    gps man, GoetzTalon, nmbuzz and 5 others like this.
  5. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Stunning, thanks for sharing them

Scaramouche likes this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    You my friend are an artist, so glad you have the landscape you have as this might be the only time I witness the beauty of your surroundings awesome job..

Scaramouche likes this.
  7. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    A great thank you Mouche. You have taken me places I have never been.

nmbuzz, Mike Meints and Scaramouche like this.
  8. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks brother. Thoroughly enjoyed these pictures.

Scaramouche likes this.
  9. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Well I love a good pic and a story about the 1911 but did you have to fall on it gees.
    Great photos and makes me wish I was there to at least help you carry some of that stuff so you wouldn't have fallen.
    Google pic of sunrise over battle mountain. No adventure to it but I didn't fall on my gun. :p:p
    site_4166_opt-1-1024x698.jpg
    You be safe out there, mouche.

1L26, SparkyAZ, gps man and 4 others like this.
  10. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Didn't hurt or mar the gun any worse than it is, it's been horse stepped, fallen down hillsides, rolled around truck beds and beat up in general over the years plus "worked" on by a Basque sheepherder with fine grit sandpaper to get the scratches out, on a good day it may appear, in the right light, a little better than the one @ZoidMeister posts a lot.

gps man, Mike Meints, mikemac and 4 others like this.
  11. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I like those pics!!
    And the work and research that went into them.
    As far as the gun....you and I both knowthey ain't worth crap without a few scars!!

12. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Wasn't worried about the gun it can be replaced.
    You not so much.
    Plus now I have a vision of soiled pants out there rolling in the breeze looking for a matching jacket. :p

13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

@Scaramouche and the Temple of the Soiled Pants and Lost Jacket.

I call dibs on the movie rights . . .

Kip, FWoo45, Bro. Pappaw and 5 others like this.
  14. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    Well, I'm thinkin' I coulda took these pics with my Android phone except for the fact I don't know Hebrew scholar. Yeah...

Wow Richard.... just.... Wow! And thanks.

ZoidMeister, Kip, gps man and 2 others like this.
  15. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Just kinda makes you think Ahhhh, time to relax... the world is as it should be. Thanks for the most excellent photos @Scaramouche

gps man and Scaramouche like this.
  16. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Mouche ,
    I always enjoy your posts . Without them , I wouldn't have experienced near as much . ( I didn't know about the 3 sunrises . I guess it goes without saying that the Hebrew scholar thing had escaped me too .)
    Thanks

nmbuzz, Kip, gps man and 1 other person like this.
  17. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Now define "soiled your trousers." That statement is all wrong. My country mind reads you "**** your britches." But then I think you mean "your britches got dirty with dirt."
    Here trousers would be britches, pants (Sunday church good clothes). Soiled could be either ****, pee, dirt, mud, grass stain or all of the above. :)
    Just messing with you, love the pics you did good.

18. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    The desert is amazing for life, freedom and photography. I took this a year ago with just my phone

1.jpg

ronin11, 1L26, Kip and 5 others like this.
  19. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Great photo, I'm convinced them phone cameras take better pictures than the point & shoots I got. Love that picture. (I got a senior citizen flip phone)

Kip, Bro. Pappaw and gps man like this.
  20. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    ‘Mouche thanks once more for great photos and writing.

That Red Rocks area is beautiful.

As
    For dawn and sunrise, why’s all that sh!t got to be so complicated?

Scaramouche likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted