1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this new pistol out today. Wish I had a good report. I experience 3 different types of malfunctions consistently with each magazine.

I put a total of 85 rounds through it using the included 2 Mech-Gar magazines, plus Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson/Checkmate, and Tripp Research magazine.

Ammo was S&B 230 FMJ.
Note these all run well in my Desert Eagle 1911U
and Dan Wesson ECO 3.5" on a weekly basis.

I will break down the malfunctions below:

Failure to Eject: Every magazine experienced at least one FTE. The brass is hanging on the extractor as shown below. It occurred in all positions of the mag, first round, middle, last round etc.

Bicycle part Auto part Automotive tire Rim Wrist

Failure to feed: every magazine experienced at least one FTF of the standard variety round getting stuck on the feeding ramp. Some mags had every single round fail to feed but was not indicative of the magazine as it occurred across all magazines/brands.

Failure to lock back on empty mag:

The slide release did not lock back on several different mags but most prominently on the Tripp Research and the included Mech-Gar magazines. After the last round slide did not lock back and then went forward into battery.

Brass to face: 40% of the properly ejected rounds went to my forehead and a few to my shooting glasses.

Magazine Failure: one of the included magazines failed see photo below.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle part

I stopped shooting at 85 rounds and I figured why keep wasting ammo. The issues were getting worse not better.

Anyone recommend a good smith who could make this pistol shoot?

Thank you

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just a word of caution about the S&B ammo…I bought some S&B 230-gr JHP and found it was noticeably shorter than other brands of .45 ACP. It caused lots of FTF issues in most of my guns but ran fine in my Beretta PX4 Storm. (That’s the S&B on the left.)

Liquid Cosmetics Gold Cylinder Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
2,844 Posts
Dang that is a lot of problems !
I was thinking extractor tension at first but as I scrolled down oh my lots of potential issues here .
Getting it feeding is the first and foremost concern I am sure locking back on empty can come later. Do you know how to do an extractor test ? If so that would be my first step . Next if it passes that would be another brand of known good ammo in a known good mag and go from there. I too have been down this road of misery and my problem was an out of spec feed ramp cut ( wrong angle ) this was a 9mm not as common of a problem with 45 - oh and only use round ball through initial testing phase no HP to rule out that problem as well.
Good luck 👍

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang that is a lot of problems !
I was thinking extractor tension at first but as I scrolled down oh my lots of potential issues here .
Getting it feeding is the first and foremost concern I am sure locking back on empty can come later. Do you know how to do an extractor test ? If so that would be my first step . Next if it passes that would be another brand of known good ammo in a known good mag and go from there. I too have been down this road of misery and my problem was an out of spec feed ramp cut ( wrong angle ) this was a 9mm not as common of a problem with 45 - oh and only use round ball through initial testing phase no HP to rule out that problem as well.
Good luck 👍
I only use 230 ball. Federal and S and b was used. It looks like the barrel is forward of the feed ramp a bit and or wrong angle to my untrained eye.

·
A meat popsicle I am
1,151 Posts
Assuming you properly lubricated the gun and used decent ammo, call BUL and send this gun back home…
This^^^
You could spend lots of time diagnosing the problems and/or having a real 1811 'smith fix it. I second the motion to send it back to the mother ship for warranty repair.
And this^^^
Get the pigeon in the air and let us know the resolution - don’t pay for a smith to fix it - let the manufacturer repair or replace.

Ps…send me your smith money foo!!!

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
I have shot 10’s of thousands of S&B while I can’t be sure,I would highly doubt it was the ammo.
That is a very short barrel for a .45 I once owned a Para Ordnance Warthog - POS thing was a jamo matic last sub 4” .45 I ever bought never ran right

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I own two “3 inch” 1911s that are reliable, and accurate.
The kimber (gift from the wife) to a bit of work by me after returning it once; to make it reliable.
The Sig (actually a 3.2” 1911); has been 100% reliable from day one.
So; short, reliable, accurate 1911s do exist.

Of course you could go with a four inch model, and save yourself much potential aggravation, and work…

Anyway; I’ll add another vote to the “return it immediately” column. 👍

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own two “3 inch” 1911s that are reliable, and accurate.
The kimber (gift from the wife) to a bit of work by me after returning it once; to make it reliable.
The Sig (actually a 3.2” 1911); has been 100% reliable from day one.
So; short, reliable, accurate 1911s do exist.

Of course you could go with a four inch model, and save yourself much potential aggravation, and work…

Anyway; I’ll add another vote to the “return it immediately” column. 👍
I've been looking at those Sigs. I have a 3" desert eagle and a 3.5" DW both are great

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
I've been looking at those Sigs. I have a 3" desert eagle and a 3.5" DW both are great
I had a Sig C3 … had … it was another clunker not saying they are all like that but my example was a pooper . My experience is the reason I no longer play with 1911s below a DW class . Once I went up the ladder to a DW all the problems went away . There are countless examples of inexpensive 1911s that run great but it has not been my experience. i hope you get the BUL sorted .

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I took this new pistol out today. Wish I had a good report. I experience 3 different types of malfunctions consistently with each magazine.

I put a total of 85 rounds through it using the included 2 Mech-Gar magazines, plus Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson/Checkmate, and Tripp Research magazine.

Ammo was S&B 230 FMJ.
Note these all run well in my Desert Eagle 1911U
and Dan Wesson ECO 3.5" on a weekly basis.

I will break down the malfunctions below:

Failure to Eject: Every magazine experienced at least one FTE. The brass is hanging on the extractor as shown below. It occurred in all positions of the mag, first round, middle, last round etc.

View attachment 1053589

Failure to feed: every magazine experienced at least one FTF of the standard variety round getting stuck on the feeding ramp. Some mags had every single round fail to feed but was not indicative of the magazine as it occurred across all magazines/brands.

Failure to lock back on empty mag:

The slide release did not lock back on several different mags but most prominently on the Tripp Research and the included Mech-Gar magazines. After the last round slide did not lock back and then went forward into battery.

Brass to face: 40% of the properly ejected rounds went to my forehead and a few to my shooting glasses.

Magazine Failure: one of the included magazines failed see photo below.

View attachment 1053590

I stopped shooting at 85 rounds and I figured why keep wasting ammo. The issues were getting worse not better.

Anyone recommend a good smith who could make this pistol shoot?

Thank you
One thing for shore…I don’t like the looks of the follower in that magazine in the pic…never seen one do that that bad.. I have 12 1911’s.. one thing they all have in common…. All of them have SHOOTING STAR MAGS in them. But yeah.. send it to Bul.. with the mags.. they’ll fix it.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When I qualify each year most of the deputies carry full size 1911s, then for the off duty qualifications they tried the 3",31/2" in 1911s. Much stoppage at the firing line, so much so most of the instructors now don't allow them. I've heard stories about them working great for their owners, haven't seen them all , but the ones I've seen, let's just say I personally will take a pass on the 3" 1911s.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hi,
The pic of the blown mag looks like the feed lips spread, and lost the follower, but...

If it has the same problem with other Mags (Wilson?) then not really here or there?

BUL is not known for Junk, but one could of slipped by QC...

If you do send it back, a report on the process, would be appreciated for general knowledge on the brand!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts