• Noveske

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • LWRC

Votes: 18 33.3%
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,522 Posts
Knights is the pinnacle of the design. They have taken the platform to new levels of design.
For a defensive weapon, it doesn’t get any better

·
Registered
419 Posts
Knights is the pinnacle of the design. They have taken the platform to new levels of design.
This. (Hey buddy! Happy Thanksgiving!)

I have owned a lot of high-end ARs, and ran them hard. I have a KAC that I will never get rid of.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm honestly not being a smartass here, but how? What's the difference between them and say a DD or BCM? I get the Porsche vs. VW thing, yes they are both cars, but radically different, but Porsche vs. Vette is simply personal preference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Daniel Defense is not great at all. They used to be one of the only guys in the game that were cold hammer forging barrels, but a lot more people are doing that now.

Knight's has the QC that most of the other guys can't afford. That means that every part you get from them is going to be in spec. Without a doubt.

That is the big reason for me.

·
Premium Member
26,522 Posts
I'm honestly not being a smartass here, but how? What's the difference between them and say a DD or BCM? I get the Porsche vs. VW thing, yes they are both cars, but radically different, but Porsche vs. Vette is simply personal preference.
Lets chat about the Knights Mod 2

Knights was the 1st to use a bolt with rounded lugs. This greatly increases bolt life, like 20k+ rounds. The material used is said to be greatly different as well.

The has system, is is an intermediate length. This was done to optimize dwell time, again, the 1st to use this length gas system.

The gas block is also different. It’s mounting uses a keyed tab they keeps it from shifting radially. The block is secured by a castle nut, an ingenious design. The block also uses a straight gas tube, no bends, no pressure fluctuation. An AN style nut is used to secure the tube to the block. No gas leaks.

The rail system is the barrel nut on the mod 2. Another wonderful idea, the rail becomes a direct heat sink.

Muzzle devices, they have created some of the most useful muzzle devices I’ve ever seen. Good enough that griffon and others have copied a few of the designs.

When the largest things in my eyes, is specifications and tolerances. One example, the receiver extension and castle nut or threaded precisely enough to where they have removed the need to stake the nut.

Triggers, all Mod 2 rifles come with the trigger that rivals the Geissele, Essentially the standard in quality triggers

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,285 Posts
I have handled a KAC but never shot one. The guy who owned it met Eugene Stoner, and he was more proud of that than the KAC.

I take people at their word when they say KAC is the best, because KAC has a great track record to back it up. The engineer in me respects the changes that Stoner made to the design and believes they are for the better, but never having had a serious failure of any AR or M16 I have owned or carried (including my first issued rifle, an M16E1, an old rifle when I got it that was still accurate), I wonder if were they necessary.

The only ones I have owned have been Colt, Eagle Arms, LaRue, Armalite, Rock River, and LWRC, all DI. Of those, the LaRue was hands down the worst. The expensive lesson I learned from that kept me from buying anything premium for years. All of the others have been functional and accurate, with the LWRC being far and away the best built AR I have ever owned. I recently bought one after years of concentrating on AKs (Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Russian) and I really like it, but I am still an AK guy. I have shot some surprisingly small groups at 300 with a scoped AK.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I’ve owned several of each. 911, 928, 944 turbo. Z06 vet was by far the most fun.

·
1,285 Posts
Ive driven a Z06

A ‘62 Chevy II with a 365hp 327 is the most fun I’ve had behind the wheel on public roads.
Until the tree incident......
A friend of mine had a 1965 Corvette convertible with a blueprinted 327 engine that put out 465 HP on the dyno, per his statements. I had no trouble believing him. It was the scariest car I have ever driven. It seemed as if there was no flywheel weight that slowed the revs because it was instantaneous. It had 27K miles on it, never driven in the rain, and he wanted to sell it to me in 1979 for $7500. I was a sophomore in college, and I gave thought to dropping out for a year and working to buy it, but I couldn't get past the thought I would kill myself if I did buy it. The car was insane.

·
Premium Member
26,522 Posts
Wow......would have been an insane car. My Chevy II revved very quickly. Engine was a solid cam beast that was pulled from a 64 Chevrolet SS, worked it over a bit before installing it

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Which out of the 3 - obviously KAC would be my first choice but I just want something accurate, reliable.
Go Geissele then. They are a better rifle then KAC (same enhancements to DI platform, but better components/features). They’re also priced in line with your other options.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
If you can't afford the kac..I would look into a BCM or Daniel defense. People are asking crazy prices right now for them, so you will have to shop around.

I'm not familiar with LWRC, but everyone loves them.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You really need to ask yourself how much you're going to shoot..a few boxes per year? A few hundred per month? A thousand a week?

That should tell you the direction you should go.

·
1,285 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also owned a Daniel Defense with the 18 inch S2W barrel. It was accurate and prettier to look at than all but the LWRC DI.

I got the LWRC below sticker price, and well below what DD is bringing these day. Between the two, the LWRC is by far the better made, and the trigger is much better than the DD’s standard trigger. The LWRC is also fully ambidextrous and the DD is not. I cannot fairly compare accuracy between the two since there is an ammo shortage going on, and I don’t have the stores to play at the range.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts