1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read what I could find about NP3 and NP3+ but I can’t find any testimony of its application on just the barrel.

Any gunsmiths here apply it to barrels?

Or have any addicts had their barrel coated in it?

Wondering about it wearing through or chipping over time. I found a place that does barrels for 70 bucks (Wright Armory) and it seems like a fair price.

Thinking of doing it on my STI 9mm Bull Barrel.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you’re looking for a black barrel, PVD applied DLC is going to be your most durable option. Now anything will wear over time but you’ll get the most life out of DLC.

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you’re looking for a black barrel, PVD applied DLC is going to be your most durable option. Now anything will wear over time but you’ll get the most life out of DLC.
I should have specified. I would like a black barrel if possible. I’ll look in to PVD applied DLC.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Deo Volente
7,523 Posts
I have been doing research on DLC coatings, because I want to get it applied to a CZ Shadow 2 frame and slide. The internal parts will have an NP3+ coating.

DLC Coatings come in many flavors, those that are largely SP3 can have a Rockwell hardness of 90. The coating wont chip or peel and it is very resistant to scratching and wear. The coating appears as a grayish black and will turn a spectacular black with the application of a little oil. Some coatings even have a slight rainbow sheen.

The DLC coatings are used on race car engines, turbine blades and other demanding applications. The critical factor is application and prep. Go with a company that has some experience and a good reputation. It may cost a little more, but it is well worth the cash.

Reactions: gps man
1 - 5 of 5 Posts