NRA Pistol Instructor Class-Opinions

Discussion in 'Training' started by paid4c4, Mar 7, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I'm thinking about enrolling in an NRA pistol Instructor Class, just wondered if anyone had take the class and what opinions might be pro or con.
    Bill

2. Mt Airy

Mt Airy New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    me to I have been wanting to take the same class.

3. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What do you plan on doing with the certification??? I also looked at this and then saw the vast number of NRA certified instructors out there. For me I want to make $$$ with any cert I obtain. For example I used to be a Scuba instructor, ran my own business in Guam and made a lot of money from that certification. Ditto for my Captains License; ran a light tackle & fly fishing charter business for over 2 decades in Guam, Newport RI, and Boca Grande Florida. The price of admission more than paid for itself. My point is that my impression for an NRA Instructor certification is that there would be a limited availability to teach and make money with it unless you could affiliate yourself with a gun shop or range. I would do my homework before giving any more dough to the NRA. NRA most likely = continuous renewal fees; they are very good at sucking $$ out of people.

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Given the prices that I saw and the curriculum, I would not say that it is worth it. The courses that I saw were only 2 days. I don't know someone could be certified as an instructor for both semi auto and revolvers in only 2 days. I was also told that the NRA requires you to re-certify every 3 years, thereby costing you more money. Then again some people seem to think that NRA approval is the holy grail.

If you think that you can make money as a firearms instructor, I will tell you that it is not easy. I'm a law enforcement firearms instructor with quite a bit of experience teaching novice shooters (academy's), and I wasn't able to get enough public interest in a class for it to be worth my while.

5. griffonsec

griffonsec Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    The problem I've had with NRA "counselors", those that give the instructors class, is finding one that will acually do]/i] the class. Being tied to my area as a single father, travel is limited. There are several counselors in the area, and I can even host as I have my own range. Several at the outset said "sure!", no one followed through or returned contact. (had 4 others lined up to take the class also).

Certification for me is to learn more myself. It's also a side project for my LGS that'll throw some extra change in my pocket. With the number of instructors out there, I don't think I could earn a full time living, but it would allow me to shoot every weekend, learn more, and share a hobby and possibly share a mindset with others.

As a side note, NRA cerification is required to instruct for FL's CCW classes. After a year of doing that, I plan on taking the LEO instructors course, which would allow me to instruct for the FL State "G" permit (for work purposes).

6. Mt Airy

Mt Airy New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I might rethink taking the nra class.

7. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It is real easy to make good money if you live in or near a state that requires shooter training.

I live near MASS so I get to give my students 2 certificates. One from the NRA and the required MASS state police cert. I can charge up to 150 a head and still be competitive. But I also provide several types of firearms and all ammo is included.

I had a great training counselor. It was worth taking the class.

8. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    If you live in Arizona, you probably won't have much interest. If you have to have training to get a CCW permit, the opportunity is there to make some cash. My next class might have 20 people in it. Me and 2 friends teach the class. 2 days work and I might clear 500 bucks after expenses.

9. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    There are several reasons I'm interested in this training. I'm retired from a profession which enables me to work part time rendering "expert" professional opinions in 1983/84 civil rights cases in Federal Court. Most of the cases involves use of force cases. NRA certification as an instructor in any firearm related field which I can list in my curriculum vita is a big plus. For the LEO's of the board don't shoot me as I only take cases which are in defense of LEO's in performance of their duties. The second reason is I see an opportunity to sponsor and form classes for small groups of professionals who either have no or little firearms experience who want to become familiar with firearms. Those interested in obtaining a CCW will be referred to a friend who can take care of the needed training and licensing. Ky requires a special CCW trainers certificate separate from anything the NRA offers. In preparation of the pre qualification of being able to put 20 rounds in a 6 inch area at 15 yards I've been practicing with my 1911's. Three days in a row I qualified with my Wilson CQB so I don't see a problem as the rest of the items are just general weapon handling and familiarization. Thanks for all the comments.
    Bill

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted